Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopping a 47 plymouth coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by los punk rods dave, May 31, 2009.

1. rear fenders were bolted to body with welting in between , i cut off bolt flange and welded fender to body, then will lead all the welded seams , just in case there are pinholes i missed , dont want moisture to transfer to underside of paint , i use a 100 watt light bulb to shine behind the welds to check for pinholes but rather be safe than sorry later on
    after car body mods are done and all the welding is done pulling body off again and throwing on a rotisserie and having it sandblasted inside and out then shot in sealer then will undercoat the entire bottom before putting back on frame for the last time

2. fenders welded

Attached Files:

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH YEA ,looks so much better chopped.So will it be in Salina this year?Looks like you don't screw around .nice job.

4. found some more pics right after i just put the body back on again

Attached Files:

5. farmer12

farmer12

You're creating one beautiful car. Great flowing lines! Did you experience any problems when you welded the fenders? I'd like to do the same on mine.

6. not really , i removed the fender and welded in the bolt holes in the body and then took a cutoff wheel and cutoff the bolt flange leaving about a 1/16 th of the edge of the flange on to keep the fender rigid and then lined up the gap and tacked the entire fender on , then i started welding seam together with short tacks starting at front side and worked to rear continuously , was not to concerned with warpage because i was going pretty fast and it was right there at the doubled up seam . checked it as i was going along and tapped fender down when needed to align seams then i shined a 100 watt light bulb underneath to check for pinholes and spot welded them , no problems at all when i got done

7. 562roadster

562roadster

Great job. The chop flows very nice!

8. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I am glad to finally see updates on this car. This thread was the single most informative article I found anywhere on the internet about chopping on of these cars. I followed all the measurements and cut lines you posted and cut my 46 the same. For some reason a few things came out different, but I am very pleased with the results! Thank you Dave.

9. choptruck

choptruck

That profile is so perfect for that car. This thread may send me over the top about chopping my car. What are your thoughts on a three window? It's such a short roof, I am afraid it might look squatty.

10. progress , patched holes and rust on passenger side , finished molding in lake pipes , radiused the rear window , , started making the framework for the fender skirt . lowered the rear fender 4 inches after welding it in ,

Attached Files:

11. progress , peaked the hood with 1/4 round bar , removed front fender side trim and welded fender seam , shaved the door handles and lock hole , shaved all emblems , and tail lights , started to mock up the rear , going to use kaiser bumper guard on bumper will have to grind to fit undecided on tail lights

Attached Files:

12. more pics

Attached Files:

13. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Hope to see it around this summer!

14. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Your car is to sick. Hope to get my 48 there someday. Keep it coming brother :D
    Rick

15. 52plymouth

52plymouth

thats looking real sharp keep going

16. damn I love these cars, stock, chopped, doesn't matter. Yours looks so good!

josh

17. hvychvy

hvychvy

Looks perfect,keep the updates coming.

18. exterminator

exterminator

You know,i never was a big fan of those plymouths of that body style but your car is changing my taste.Good job! I think Moparistis is setting in! Exterminator

19. today i skinned the fender skirt after i shaped it a little bit on the english wheel , deciding on how to mount them , thinking about pins on top and maybe some hasp latches on either side of the inside

Attached Files:

20. Old Gold

Old Gold

This car is amazing!!!

21. long weekend welding tackled drivers side , patched holes in inner fender and welded fender to body , extended fender bottoms lower , patched rusted out rocker , molded in lakepipes , not bad for two days

Attached Files:

22. extended rear bumper lower and fabbed up some brackets for mounting

Attached Files:

23. side views

Attached Files:

24. lastly me standing next to car to show how low it is , for some reason i look like a crazed idiot in this picture!!

Attached Files:

25. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

awsome job so far brotha... im after one of these 46-48's my myself

26. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Great bulid! Plymouth coupes never get much respect but I think there great. Keep up the good work. :D

27. rounded the passenger side door top flows pretty well , looks factory , trying to get rid of the few sharp corners of the car

Attached Files:

28. pushed car out into the sun today to get a better look at it

Attached Files:

29. first all aired down , 2nd front aired up fully, crazy lift height ! 3rd rear bumper laying on the ground

Attached Files: