Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firestone front runners on hiway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I am with you man. Hammer down!!

2. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Mine are like basketballs...
    40 lbs too much?
    i am gonnna scrap um..it sucks cause the "LOOK" of the car is nice but i want to drive 65-70 to TX
    some of you guys are goofy...in a nice way,
    i drove 130 blah blah let see you do 130mph straight to texas from south florida something about 800 miles vs 1/4 mile....yeah sure..my ass spits hundreds too.
    back to my question simple are they good or not i think its poll time.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Your suspension has to be spot on with these, I ran these skinny tires long ago, they ran like crap on my car, put them on my buddys car and they ran fine all the way up to 90mph, no troubles. Put them back on mine and it was like a washing machine over 50 mph. I spent quite a bit of time trying to tune out the suspension for them and eventually they ran Ok. I think the skinny profile causes them to transfer the road back to he suspension a lot more actively.

4. phlip

phlip

Mine are fine... got 3,000 miles on them, alot of those miles on the highway at 65-75 mph. I've driven them in rediculous pouring rain as well and they were fine. Just normal balancing nothing special. As far as wear, i'll probably get 12 to 15K out of them based on the amount of wear they have right now. Seems like everyones experiance is different, that shouldn't be surprising though.

5. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

While you may think this is off topic, neither el mirage nor bonneville is as smooth as it looks to the eye. I first tried moroso tires and i could not steer the car beyond 120, after switching to the front runners i was able to control the car & using lite hand touch reached 197 at el mirage & 210 at bonneville. The tires were mounted on center lines and they do flex more than steel wheels. Inflation pressure was 45 lbs.

Attached Files:

6. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

I am gonna get rid of them..
    i am gonna get Stone 500-16 Blackwalls.
    i love the look of this tire but road forced tested they were out of round from sitting so long and were so out the guy said they would be almost all tread gone to shave them....goodbye tires.

7. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I ran them on my modified and at first around 60 they would really start to bobble and if you happen to put on the brakes at that speed it was a real heart stopper! They would literally start jumping off of the ground, and with the brakes on the wheel would stop when it was in the air and then skip when it hit the ground. Very scary. I had them trued, shaved, and they were perfect, put around 10,000 miles on them with no problem
    I changed over to Excelsiors and have had no problem. I am thinking about going back to the ribs but think I try a stiffer front shock also.

Rex

Attached Files:

• 4327.JPG
      4327.JPG
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
  8. On the quality of ribbed tires........several commented it depends who you buy them from.

Who are the best vendors?

Thanks.......

9. Get them from Coker. I have heard good words about dealings with Coker.

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

The ONLY place I would go would be Coker if I was buying tires. They stand behind what they sell and take care of their customers.

11. Oh yeah - buy them. They are great! If your car is slow, it won't be an issue.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In fairness to Coker, I want to update my original post on the Firestone ribbed tires. I was running them on NOS 1935 16" wire wheels and balanced the wheels and drums together. After installing Excelsors, same problem. Sent the wheels to Woody's Wheel Works in Denver and it was determined that the wheels were out of round. Once the wheels were fixed and the friction shocks had new friction discs installed, the car drives and handles great.