Register now to get rid of these ads!

To stay correct/traditional what paint scheme on 2.3 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTW, Jan 29, 2011.

1. JTW

JTW

I know... a 2.3 is not technically period correct, but I plane on driving this A LOT. 1927 Roadster Tried to stay as correct as I could, save disk brakes. Im running a 32 chopped grill shell on a 26 roadster with turtle deck. My question is Im going with the 2.3 ford with a 79 pace car draw through turbo. So the turbo is off of a manifold, and Im running the old flat stamped FORD script valve cover, finger chopper steel fan, single V belt. Im trying to make it look as period as I can.

1. What paint scheme shoudl I go with? Not to keen on what colors were availabale in 20-30"s. fLAT GREEN, RUST COLOR PRIMER...etc For the block head valve cover. Im covering the exhaust tubing in black header wrap, and doing a lakster header out of the turbo, With a POT style air cleaner.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

If Henry painted anything any color, it was black, dried quicker.

3. pitman

pitman

One, you are building an excellent model T car w/a four-banger. 2. You will be able to afford to drive the beast! The turbo will make it all-the-more worthwhile. Take no horse-manure in defense of your own choices! Now, as to colors; black will allow for any body "gaps" to hide, wheels look good in dark green or lt blue, w/black. Build it simple and clean. Finally consider porcelain exhaust coating, vs the wrap, it can look right depending upon the color chosen. Enjoy! Personally, for the engine I'd go dark green.

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Lots of Model As had dark green [kinda olive] on their blocks. That and a cast aluminum cam cover could work for me.

5. Id go for olive drab, or black.

6. JTW

JTW

Thank you sir, im going to keep the original black patina on the car, may take some work to match it with the new patch panels. The Dark green was my original thought, think it looks nice and clean. Ya think the wheels in a dark green very simular to the engine block would just look over tried? I will do the dark green for the block, and I guess flatt Black for the valve cover? Using a 48 cheevy truck steering box, just because of the nice mount on the frame. Frame and all suspension are going flat black powdercoat.

Thank guys, Any other thoughts.. ideas?

7. Take a peek on a couple of sites:

Mtfca.com

NWVS.org

The info there will not only give you ideas for paint/color, but also some possible ways to disguise your 2.3, if you so choose.

Best of luck in the build!

8. JTW

JTW

Yes sir, I so choose! Thank you Sir. I'll check it out. Hey if any one has some ideas of camaflage.. hope I spelled that correct. or pics throw em in.

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I want to see some pics.

10. By all means, share some pics JTW- sounds lke a neat build!

Oh, I wouldn't mention all you're doing on the MTFCA site, some of the purists may get more than a little flustered :D

11. JTW

JTW

Sure, here ya go. I only have these from my cell phone. These are a little older, I had just got the doors and turtle deck blasted/primered. I still need to fix the lower valance and do the patch panels on the deck lid. Sorry about the two 6ft 5 knunkle heads that come buy to help me out sometimes. I'd like to get a rid of the glass 32 grill shell, and get a real one. So take it ease on me guys.

Attached Files:

12. I'll make you a deal on some front drums.

13. JTW

JTW

Accually thought about it. Trouble was coulden't afford or find a set I wanted to use.

14. evintho

evintho

That is awesome! You're way further along than I am ('27 roadster w/turbo'd 2.3). You've given me motivation! Love the stance too! I'm going with Ford blue on mine.

[​IMG]

15. ^^^^ x2

An easy way to look period correct is to paint it with period correct (stock) Ford colors. Many early hot rodders' cars had stock paint that was just a few years old, not the 80-year-old rusty finish that we think of.

16. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Very cool. Now get it on the road!

17. skwurl

skwurl

I vote model a green too

18. The discs look fine, I like discs, & they suit this hot lil' roadster.

I like those shiny red rally wheels. Keep 'em, blackwall tyres'll be fine. Tan/black/brown int; get that body good as U can, black (nod to crazy Henry!).
    Paint that fine mill Packard engine green. Find a Clifford(?) finned cam cover, blast it. Carry the Packard green across the cowl, dash & trunk discreetly, Tommy the Greek style, with simple English white thin pin outline. Nice chrome 3 point roll bar, nice chrome stock w/shield, and a race tarp for kicks.

19. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Cool Car. I have been thinking of running a 2.3 out of a turbo coupe. very dependable grate fule mileage and perfourm very well. Now colors on the motor for me would be dark green motor with all the aluminum blasted (finned where i could get it). Wheels would have to be a apple green or dark red, with a fine trim ring and a set of police type caps or spyder caps....

20. Since you asked for opinions...

I'd do the engine block, head, and valve cover early flathead gloss green.
    Black spark plug wires, black pulleys, brackets, and alternator. Maybe consider getting one of the generators that has alternator guts inside it to really go for the original look. Exposed pulleys on the front if possible, no tin cover. Black 4 blade fan with no shroud. If you're gonna have the battery exposed use a braided steel ground strap instead of a cable, and run a black positive cable to cut down on colors. Too many colors will make it look busy. If you're gonna fabricate the wiring consider using the cloth-covered wire available thru the antique car catalogs like Mac's.

Just one a-hole's opinion..:D

21. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Keep the pics coming.Build it safe and dont forget clear glasses at night,those bugs hurt!!!

22. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Cool car and those engines can be built to make insane power! I think putting original colors on it would be cool. I saw an old 50's Vette with a Buick turbo engine that the guy paited the original Chevy blue and it looked like it belonged there.

23. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually kind of like this build. It looks like it's going to be a great little driver.

24. paperboy49

paperboy49
    from Ohio

Great build !! I have always liked the 2.3 as it can deliver serious economical horsepower.

I acquired a 1940 Ford 2 door sedan that was built in 1971. Pontiac with a four speed that looked cool and ran strong (with the Chevy 4:11 rear), but it didn't exactly fit. Steering was molested to make everything fit.

With the help of John (falconwagon62) the Pontiac was jerked and plans are being made to install a 525 gm box...and now to the point....
    a 2.3 Ford pulled from a Bayliner boat with a factory rated 240 HP !!!!!

Insane, yes......but different.

I'll post pictures of the build as we get rolling.....

25. pitman

pitman

If you plan to have what's known as a suicide front end set up, typ. w/the spring mounted behind the axle, then be sure to look at the shackles, the mounts, the wishbones and the shock mounts, to minimize the likelihood of steering loss, should any one component fail. The event can be similar to the scrub-line issue on low slung race cars. Try searching this out, here and in the tech library.

26. JTW,

I like it! However, seeing your build, I would stick to lurking on the sites I shared with you- the grand majority of the T guys will ride you up one side and down the other. It's like coming on here and starting a thread about a "tuner"- just not what the site's about.

Having said that, there IS still alot of info/ideas you can glean from visiting those sites (and others)- alot of what I'm looking at doing with my speedster comes from them AND here!

Green WOULD be a nice choice, especially Spoggy's suggestion of Packard green for the engine. Nice, subtle touches will make your car really stand out- keep up the good work!

27. JTW

JTW

Yes Sir, I Understand.

28. JTW

JTW

I did a search and came up with this term. "ackerman" Can you explain a little further? I will be running friction shocks to slow down the return rate? Its set up with 4-link and panhard - One part that no one is going to like... It does have air bags/and shock from air ride technologies in the rear, so I gain 8" in rear and 2" near pan. Are you reffering to the outward bend of the steering brackets to avoid the opposite wheels from collapsing into the turn on corners?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  29. Here you go:

PS- JTW, not trying to mother you there, just know how fast doors can close when certain words and phrases get used. My dad's got a friend with hard-to-find tin ROTTING in his back field because he won't "Let those darned hotrodders get to it".

Attached Files:

30. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Perfect Boneyard.