Register now to get rid of these ads!

****The 2011 GNRS... TJJ: Best Roadster - Vote NOW!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2011.

?
  1. Car 1

359 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Car 2

60 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Car 3

168 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Car 4

321 vote(s)
    22.8%
  5. Car 5

163 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Car 6

155 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. Car 7

96 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Car 8

57 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Car 9

19 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Car 10

9 vote(s)
    0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 777

from Pasadena

I am really excited that Sandy's roadster is included for such an award! When I walked the show yesterday I found myself doing a little self judging before I even knew there was such an award. And I have to say #4 would be my favorite but the SBC doesn't do it for me: I'd love it if something like this won an AMBR sometime in the future though, but those days are probably long gone.

My friends all told me we should have went with mirrors and chrome instead of the lakes pipes and rope theme for the stanctions but since Belond found no need for chrome in "42 I decided to stay with how I think he would have wanted her displayed. I'm just glad everyone that stops bye to see her learns something about our dry lakes racing history.

So in the end I am voting for Sandy's roadster, #6, because for me the HAMB is about traditional and you can't get more traditional then one of the cars that started the whole deal.

A really sincere thank you to all that voted for her, the old man would be proud, and don't hesitate to stop by building 3 and say Hi if your in the area.
    Michael

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have checking in on this thread all day, whats weird is that while the total numbers have changed a LOT, the margin between first and second place has been remarkably consistant all day.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, we are splitting hairs here, and it is really close, but the newby style radirs with the cast rims, and the bell axle were kind of a turn-off for me too, and made the difference to move it to 3rd place. If that car had period wheels on it, that would probably have pushed it over the top. Beautiful car, but so are Bass' and Ganahls, and when you are trying to decide between cars of this calibre, its going to be stuff like that that makes the difference. The Model A roadster, nice as it is, and I really like the exhaust treatment through the rear pan, early ford wires say '40s, the sbc says late fifties early sixties. When you get down to a group of cars as nice as this, mixed-up eras is an automatic fail for me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

funny i was in between 1 and 4, after i voted i noticed those two are in the top 2 by a long shot.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

It's hard not to love a mirror deep black paint job on a 36 roadster...

Number 7 gets my vote

6. yxrancher

yxrancher

I love number 9 and wanna see more of it!

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I don't expect to change anybody's mind about Small Block Chevrolets, but that SBC in car #4 is a Duntov-cammed 11:1 compression '57 283...and I built the three Strombergs myself. I don't know how you could get much more late '50s period correct than that. Yes it has a 6-cyl water pump, and the real late '50s vintage Hedman headers are coated instead of chrome, but these are really the only concessions I made to driveability.

The car also has a 4pc. full hood, but I ran out of time to get it put on the car before the show.

Just wanted to put that out there to clear a couple of things up.

Thanks to everyone out there that voted for Steve and I, and the "Texas Playboy!"

8. [​IMG]

That Mr. Bass sure has some big guns.... I don't know if Russ' has a chance. Maybe the club should have brought in our ringer "Pedro the Panda" for the match. :D

9. Anderson

Anderson

Get a load of that farmers tan!

10. oldschool55

oldschool55

That was tough, between 1,4,and 5, but I decided to go with 1

11. jlookin61

jlookin61

It has to be hands down #4 "The Texas Playboy". To me that's about as good as it gets.

12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hands down - #1 - That Purple T just simply stands out... And the fact that it was built in a two car garage by local hot rodders should clinch the title! Truthfully - most hot rodders love '32 Fords, but isn't it played out too much? Just my 2 cents...

13. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

3, 4, 5 were my favorites... went with 5

14. borntoolate

borntoolate

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

With a quick scroll down I thought #4 or #5 but after going back and seeing #5 was purple, It swayed my decision to be #4

16. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

#6 has the most original Ford parts on it or rare parts, like the original EDDIE MEYER Los Angeles (not Orosco re-pop) aluminum heads.

#6 because it was probably the hardest one to build and assemble with that arrangement of rare parts.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Update: We've been trying to figure out when to end the voting. With the count so damned close, I want to let it run as long as possible with hopes we will get some separation.

The only thing is that I fly out of here early tomorrow morning. SO, we have decided to call the vote during my first layover in San Fran (Damn those hotline air tickets). That will most likely be around 11am tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

18. Kirsten

Kirsten

It's #3 for me

19. hmm picked #5
    did not have my glasses on to read the name until after voting...
    just clicked on each pic ... to large size.. overall , engine .int.

best true to period ... me thinks

maybe next time add the name list on another post availible only after voting
    like a chili cook off ...

now have fun and post more pics .. pleeeeese

20. dickbutz

dickbutz

I voted for number three...She is very crisp with the wires, choice of tires and a great paint job and color combination...Looks as if there may be a operating top in her future as well...Dick

21. dsr_54

dsr_54

All great cars. #1 got my vote, but I like them all.

22. I first looked at the cars on here and formed an opinion of what i thought I might choose. Then I went to the show and studied the cars up close and personal. Changed my views a bunch. When you see different angles and such you start to find flaws. Like a grille that is higher than the cowl, like rear axle placement that is too far forward (or back in one case), like a reverse rake. Other things like colors that are quite different in real life vs. the interweb. For those reasons and more my picks changed.
    Unfortunately many on here do not have that luxury, so I'm sure the voting will be somewhat random, along with the fact that I put people aside for this and really vote for the car.
    Just my thoughts, and my choice may change after I go back tomorrow ......

23. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thats because its a rad Car Dave

good seein ya today what an amazing show.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Good points, but regardless, as noted in Ryan's post above, you had better vote before 10:30-11am tomorrow as it might get cut it off by then and you'll miss out.

25. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Man, It seems easy to me 1 and 4 are close but 4 lacks the detail that 1 has. Looking at the engines alone, 4 looks like a hardware store. 1 is smooth and well built from the air scoops to the drain plug. It,s #1 hands down

26. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

In person, Ganahl's deuce always blows me away. Wish it was displayed in a building with more light, though it was step up from last year.

27. I really like the feel of the cars in that building ~ it's more like a museum.

28. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Yeah, it's a nice intimate space. I like everything about it aside from the dim lighting.

29. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

(#4 looks like a hardware store) (#1 looks like a 1-800 hot rod)

I would just put a hood on #4 and drive it, and on #1 I would grind off the super bell logo and drive it....and so on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.