Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title question, Ford 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Jan 29, 2011.

1. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Hi all
    Anyone that could guide me? If I buy a original Ford 1932 frame there you could identify the VIN #, but there is no title. Is it possible to get an title for it? And how do you process? Where do you get it from?

2. terry48435

terry48435

Some guys here buy a clear title and transfer it and stamp those numbers on the frame. There's a guy in the classifieds here in the HAMB that sells titles. He calls them documents. Just a thought.I've heard it works.

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

If you are talking about a State other than California you may have a chance, but you would need to talk with a HAMBER from that state...................if you are talking about California..................the answer is NO!
    I am not sure about what Terry said, but if you try and do this from California you will not get very far. If you were to buy the complete car you would have a chance, but just buying a frame will not get you a title or a chance to get one. I have been there and done that.
    If this was a complete car there are a number of ways to do this, but again it depends on the State.

4. In the US it depends upon the state and the friendliness your local DMV office. The less populous states tend to be more friendly.

Outside the US, who knows. You'd be best off asking your fellow Swedes than a bunch of Americans. ;)

5. terry48435

terry48435

I think the guy is from Sweden. I haven't a clue what is possible there.

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hard to tell, would you like to fill us in a little on where you have found yourself with the ownership of this car?

7. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Hi guys
    Yes I,m from Sweden, but I want to buy a old frame from states, but often frame adversed don,t have any titles, even if stated that the VIN is visible. So I,m thinking of getting one and then get a title to it before shipping it to Sweden

/Ulf

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Again, if you find just a frame only in California, forget it, as you will never be able to a title for it unless it is under an original car, or a car that has been already titled......so again
    don't look in California.
    Other states I have no idea.

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I think that this comes down to what you need for Sweden and your ability to be able to export a component such as a frame or body from the US into Sweden. In this country we are 50 United States, yet we are 50 states united with each states having different and often confusing laws and regulations on motor vehicles. Some states never had and still do not supply a title document, some states are extremely vigilant in the auto titling laws. Therefore it is best for you to find out the requirements of Sweden and the import/ export requirements associated with this process. There are several individuals on this forum that are very familiar to this process regarding Sweden. I think we need to get their attention to this situation of yours and inquire. I thought that "Sled" was finding cars in Mexico, Search "junk I found in Mexico"

10. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

please forget the "ship to sweden" part, I,m well familiar with that bit. The question is regarding buying a frame with no title, and the possiblities to get a title in some way. Ideas on diffrent ways from diffrent states would be great. Thanks

11. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I think the basics are the same in most of Europe, all imports MUST have a clear title, at least to get it registered as an original/existing car. This is normally crucial to avoid taxes and all kinds of testing.

(I know you know this, HOTRODSWE, just info for the other guys)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Bottom line: I have never heard of a state that will issue a title on a bare frame. Most require a complete car and in many cases one that is fully equipped ready for road use.

13. They are documents for display purposes only. There is a federal law against selling titles. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to mistake a historical document for a title if I was selling one.

On the HAMB we don't sell titles and certainly wouldn't want someone to use any historical display document in any other way that its intended use.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that every state in the US will be the same on that.

In this state and here locally at least, one could go though the State Patrol's inspection fairly simply with a 32 Ford built on an original 32 frame with the original serial number. That is with a complete and running car. It doesn't have to be finished but does have to be complete and legal to drive on the roads.

The key is what are the rules in your country for titling an assembled vehicle? Can it be done at all? I guess you could fly over and collect the parts, assemble a running and driving vehicle and then get it titled and then ship the whole vehicle back to Sweden. A bit of planning could make that happen in a short period of time.

I'd pass on even thinking about buying an old title unless an old rusty hulk or the section of the vehicles frame or body with the serial number stamped in it came with it. Then you should be legit in saying that the frame under the car was so bad that you had to replace it.

15. blucar

blucar

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, looking for a correct '32 Ford frame that is titled or can be titled.
    I have encountered several deals where an antique car was purchased in the States, then shipped out of country to New Zealand, Australia, Poland, etc. In each case a complete car was purchased, i.e. '40 Buick, '65 Buick, etc.. The cars were then taken apart to the point that the frame was even cut.. All of the body parts were stacked inside of the body, the engine/trans/diff were not shipped...the purchasers did not want these units, just the body and portion of the frames with numbers.
    One '39 Plymouth conv. cpe I know of went to Australia complete. It was in need of total restoration so I helped the purchaser secure all the parts needed to restore the car... All of the spare parts were stacked inside of the car, then the car was shipped to Australia in a container.
    You might consider purchasing a complete car that is titled, even if the car is near junk.... The VIN on a '32 means nothing as far as body style or place of origin is concerned. Once you have the car you can sell off the unwanted parts and rebody it any way you like.
    Most States are getting very touchy about titling and licensing old cars.. Buyer be aware.........

16. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

17. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

You will NOT be able to ship out of the USA without proper paperwork if you want Sweden to accept the shipment . However it can get through Norway... email [email protected]

18. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

It's almoast 80 year old steel. Buy a repro good product that will last your life time.