Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Frame Color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Jan 27, 2011.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

Im to the point where I need to figure out which color to paint the frame of my chopped 34 Ford 5 Window Coupe.I want the body a Medium blue metallic,white roof roof insert,white firewall,Flathead is red with polished alum heads and intake,Chrome Axle etc. Trying to decide on a low gloss black frame or body color frame.Anyone running a black frame and a different color body? Pics? Thanks

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

How about a white frame???

AHotRod likes this.
  3. M.Edell

M.Edell

I have thought about it...Might be alot of white?

4. Blue or white would be my choices...

5. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

White might be hard to keep clean but would look cool. there was drawing of a 32-34 pickup "bones upholstery" blue with a black frame. looked kinda neat.

6. I would go black , body color looks a little too street rodderish. Plus black goes with any color so if decide to change the body color down the road you don't have to worry about painting the frame.

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

keepin coming..I appreciate the input..Thanks! heres a couple cars that are blue with black frames, one is Matt Serets T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's funny that you should bring up Matt's car because I happen to be obsessed with it. I have talked to Matt in detail about this car and mentioned my plans to build my '32 5w very similar to his t, perhaps even down to the center steer/seat aspect. But yeah, the color of the body, frame white top, moon caps....all that.

So what I have come up with since I have had a year or two to think about this while I am piecing the rest of my car together is that the frame should in fact be black. But axle, wishbones and recesses in the brakes can be a bright white.

[​IMG]

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Isn't that coupe a roadster now....love it.

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yup it is. that's why I don't feel so bad copying it hahahah!!!! When I talked to Matt he told me how he had a full house Olds Motor to go in that little T coupe and it was going to be bad as shit. But then the budget blew and he was sort of stuck which led to the Toyota engine being installed. It's weird, that car has everything right about it, so much so that I don't even give a shit it ran a toyota engine.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah, My 34 goes to Matts next weekend, was there today in fact, my flathead is already over there waiting.Matt told me the Blue was from a Smittys Muffler, he took it into a Paint Store and said "I want this Color" The Color is dead on what I had in mind for my Coupe.I'm thinking it's going to be a black frame and backing plates, I really like the contrast.

13. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Is Chrome a color? If it is, that's my choice.

Blind Elwood

14. scalhotrod

scalhotrod

Since a highboy (no fenders) black will make it look lower and body color will blend it in. Have someone take a side view picture and find someone who knows how to use Photoshop, you can see both.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yep he told me the same thing about the Smithy muffler color but when I take a smithy out into the sun it gives off a green tint to it more then the baby blue metallic that I'm seeing in the pics. I think what's going to happen is I might match a silver blue matallic that Lexus used a few years ago when it comes time. But hell that could be 10-15 year down the road since I need to save a ton of cheese for the Chrysler engine.

I'm stoked for you and think that black would be the right choice on the frame.

16. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

17. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

18. Black...easier to touch up

19. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah I noticed the same thing with the Smittys Color...I found some late 50's Ford and Chrysler colors that are real close.

20. abone1930

abone1930

Here is mine I just painted.:D I did my frame in blue, metallic base with an .004 flake.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      156.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      176.3 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      149.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      128.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      216.6 KB
      Views:
  21. Body Color.

With a blue body, white firewall, white roof insert, and red engine, you've got a lot of colors going on. As much as I like black frames, I think it'll look way too busy with any other colored frame besides the main body color. I'm a "less-is-more guy". From your description, it looks like you've got a very, very cool car coming together.

Just my opinion, but try not to get too much red, white, and blue together or it'll look like one of those "patriot mobiles" that were super popular right after 9/11.

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks people..

23. I have always liked this red.............
    [​IMG]

24. slick a&t

slick a&t

A couple that I have of my favorites from my pic collection.Hope they help.

Attached Files:

25. tex34ford

tex34ford

how about a darker shade of blue?

26. if you are going for a period type car, all old hot rod frames were BLACK also easier to touch up..

27. pdc

pdc

What about gun metal gray? Black may be better for touch ups like everyone else said. You cold even outline the black in blue.

28. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yes a darker shade of blue, a very dark blue almost black that only a real man who is going to spend more than thirty seconds looking for shiney and billet will ever search for. This will give you the added pleasure of informing all of the quick looker dopes who proclaim your frame as black the joy of stating "No Mr. Observant, it's jet black blue, like a slicked backed 50's duck's ass do."

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would do it in body color myself. One thing I have noticed over the years of constant pouring over vintage magazines is this - About '64 or so, you started to see frames painted body color fairly commonly. Chromed suspension peices also seem to have become more prevalent at that time replacing white. I don't know if anybody else has noticed this, but pull out every magazine you have from about '66 and earlier, and you will see what I mean. With all the white you are planning, and the flathead, that in my mind would put the car in the late fifties depending on wheels. I know that what I just wrote goes in opposite to what I said about body color on a frame, but I just think it will look better. Thirty fours and deuces just flat show alot of frame, and in my mind, painting them the same color keeps the flow of the car. Especially '33s and '34s, unchanneled. I would also think twice about doing the engine in red. How about dressing it out in white to match the firewall? I'm just not a huge fan of red and blue on the same car.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

???