Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone made a radiator tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgord, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dodgord

dodgord

so being a tightass i have found a radiator that will fitt in my 30 chevy grille shell, however the top tank just looks like crap and has to be modified anyway, anyone out there made thier own tank out of brass? ive been tossing the idea around but thought i might get some imput here first

2. dodgord

dodgord

3. tradrod

tradrod

Not out of brass, but have taken an aluminum core and made the top and bottom tanks. If you know a thing or two about silver soldering I think it can be done. Of course, making some GOOD patterns will certainly help.

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You should not have to use a solder with an actual silver content, you should be able to use an alloy. Fitment will be key to good joints as they are filled using the science of caplllary attraction.

5. Many many many years ago a fellow HAMB'r did a tech post on the construction of a radiator from scratch...!

Massive amounts of info on that thread and my only question is... "How come I can't find it"...?????

6. dodgord

dodgord

i saw that, a kiwi guy made a 32 rad from scratch, surely others have done the same

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have made a few, my father custom builds radiators for a living. Unless you can silver solder, forget it.
    PM me if interested.

Doc.