Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying a car with no keys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NCKalex, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Old VW Bug; all the wires are connected to male/female terminals. Pull the license plate light wire and plug it onto the input side of the coil, get in and turn the lights on, now give it a running push start. NO jumper wire needed (taught that by my high school auto shop teacher, actually the whole class). When I worked at a Standard Oil Chevron dealer in high school, in the tuneup cart/oscilloscope *(actually came with the machine when new), was a complete remote start setup right down to a keyed switch; just hook up all the wires correctly and go. Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

i bought a '69 mercury (with the 429 and C6) and i took the lock cylinder out of the driver's door to get a key made for the ignition; it had locking steering column.... i sent a towtruck over to pick it up, gave them the key. he "forgot" he had the key and proceeded to utterly DESTROY the column to get the thing unlocked...... stupid sonofabitch. what i HAD planned as a cool daily driver became a fucking parts car within minutes.

(complete steering columns for '69 Mercs are somewhat rare and pricey, especially if shipping is involved.)

when i go to check out a car, i carry all kinds of stuff; whole toolbox, a hot battery, wire.... even a can of gas and starting fluid. if the owner doesn't want me working on it... i pass on it.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

is the OP EVER gonna tell us what kind of car this is? Sure would help with the advice

dj

4. Fenders

Fenders

No, he wants us to tell him how to steal different kinds of cars....

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Take a screw driver, pound it into the lock, take a channel locks and crank the screw driver till crap pops out and she turns over. Keys are for the honest, that's why this car has no keys.

6. My '50 Chevy the guy hotwired when I bought it. Wire from the battery to the coil, reach through and hit the starter button and it fired up. For the price I wasn't even that worried about it.

7. Diavolo

Diavolo

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if you don't know how to hot wire a car, you probably shouldn't be buying a project in the first place.

Just walk away or pay for a non-running car since you can't start it anyway.

8. I bought a boat once ... missing the oars. Try asking around town for "a couple of oars" ... almost got me thrown in jail.

9. What Diavolo said,ops now there is two of us on a limb

10. this is really funny shit dudes! it has to be a YUGO because that is the only car people lose their keys.

11. My brother bought a 58 Chevy PU once and it did not have the keys and was told it did not run and had been sitting over 5 years. We went over to just get her loaded on a trailer and bring her home. Well when we got there aired up the tires and we were going to push it out when I suggested we use the starter to move the truck, as I had a good battery with me. WE started to hook up the hot wire so we could just crank it over to move it and it acted like it wanted to run. We put in some gas and starting fluid and as my brother was doing that I tried the key from my 55 Chevy in the ignition and the old girl started right up smoked for about 5 min. then cleared up, disconnected the hot wire we added and my brother drove it home. He drove it for about a year before I got my key back, the trans went out. I guess the previous owner thought it did not run because the battery was out. Some times you do get lucky.

12. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

hell whoever wanted my car busted the stainless column collar (don't know how), and then broke out the column.. if it's an 70's to 90's or so GM (with tilt), just bust the side of the column out.. break the wheel lock all to hell, and there's a little rod.. if you break whatever it's attached to and pull on it the car will start... Now you can effectivly go around stealing GM G-bodies like it's goin' out of style.. and all you need is a screwdriver.

13. Go Terminator on it, just rip the steering column apart and it'lll start right up.

Bob

14. Bingo... all the key does is lock the column. The switch itself is where the rod from the lock cylinder attaches. I've twisted off the lock cylinders before with large Channelocks.

Bob

15. We used to use a squashed beer can for colum locks when we didn't have keys for GM cars. You just shove the can past the little dawg like using a credit card on a bathroom door. Then you just leave the beer can in there until you get where you are going. I guess a soda can would also work in a pinch, its just hard to get drunk enough on soda to think that shit up.

I feel really kind of odd telling a grown man how to hot wire a car, I think I hotwired my first one when I was about 12 (lived in a pretty rough neighborhood).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  16. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Did he ever say what year and make? Makes a big difference!

17. He probably hasn't been back to check the thread. Its common.

No thanks or kiss my ass or nuthin'.

But we're havin' a good time with it. So I guess it doesn't really matter.

18. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Towed cars for a time last year... in a kinda bad part of town. Saw some great attempts to steal cars. I was always amazed at the damage caused by these attempts. Some of these guys actually did pull out a bunch of wires and start stripping them.

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

He was on the HAMB last night at about 10:00 Maybe he forgot he posted this:rolleyes:

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

3 pages of responses to perhaps the dumbest question ever posted? Really, we have nothing better to do? :rolleyes:

21. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

nope,..not a friggen thing;)

22. Brian
    I could give you a list as long as my arm of dumb posts in the last month. Everything from where do I by shocks for my car to whay isn't the Fonz out tootaling around on his truimph any more. Heeeey

At least this one has some merit now some of the fellas know how to steal a car. :eek:

23. I'd be blowin snow otherwise!

24. Oh yeah, who cares if it gets started or not? Past the 3rd reply... it was all about the entertainment factor.

Bob

25. Exactly. Like the fella that needed tips and tricks about going to a car show. Its all in fun.

26. 64cheb

64cheb

I bought my 64 with no keys, couldn't find them anywhere. A 67-72 chevy truck ignition switch works really well. All spades are labeled clearly and have auxilaries for HEI, radio, anything.

27. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

if you want to go the key route

older GM cars
    some dealers might still have the code book
    with the cylinder case number they can cut a key, cheaper

newer old GM cars with proper Title & ID the dealer can get the key number

have used both methods myself

hot wiring works done that before

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  28. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

checked it from my phone wasn't able to reply. i ended up taking the car anyway. its a 1949 ford with the flathead. just got home from dragging her home, pretty cherry car, even if the engine turns out to be toast its worth swapping a 302 into.

29. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

I got this one for $900 becouse it sat for 2 years and the guy lost the keys. I payed the guy, jumped the solinoid (MOTOR RAN GREAT), swapped out the master cylinder, and drove it home the same afternoon. Poor guy, I even made him help me bleed the brakes in his own driveway:D

Attached Files: