Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Dart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly_kid, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

Hey fellas.

I drive a '63 Dart 270 as my daily driver. I seem to have a cooling problem that I can't figure out. I've tried cleaning/flushing the cooling system, replaced the heater core [that was because it needed replacing, wasn't producing heat and I needed a heater when we had snow!], new thermostat back in August, and I just tried replacing the radiator with a much cleaner one out of a '60 Valiant I picked up last week. Still runs on either the 3rd mark, or the HOT mark. Will warm up slowly like it should but once it hits the middle of the gauge, where normal operating temp should be, all the sudden it will quickly go up to the 3rd mark or above. But the radiator has never boiled over, the current one or the previous one, and I've had the same exact problem since before I replaced the radiator.

So its not boiling over or causing any issues with driving...but it thats what the temp gauge reads. Now, when it gets that hot, the motor does run a little rougher. And it runs that hot everytime. I really have no idea...

??? I assumed it was a radiator problem but what are the odds of two radiators, the original one had a pretty bad calcium type build up in it, and this one is pretty clean...yet the car is still running the same temperature..3/4 or hot. I know its not a guage issue because in cold weather, like when we had our snowy weather back in november/december, it was about 10 degrees outside and the car would run on the middle mark or just a bit above it.

Any advice guys?

-Allan

2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

If your car really isn't overheating, I would say it might be an issue with your water temp. sending unit.

But if it really is overheating (I know you've replaced it),it sounds like your thermostat isn't fuctioning properly.. Try getting a fail safe one, its a little more expensive but well worth it.

Also when you replaced the radiator by the sounds of it, it wasn't hot tanked before you put it in, thats the only way to make sure its clean and not plugged up. Even if it looked clean, there is no for sure way of knowing the history of it unless its been gone through.

The other thing to look into is the water pump, ive had two different engines in the past that would slowly overheat due to a worn impeller blade inside the pump.

Also check your timing, if its too far advanced it would cause the engine to run hot as well.

Start out with those and report back. Good luck.

3. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

Awesome, I'll give those a shot! Thanks!

-Allan

4. i also would check that the thermostat isn't defective or installed backwards joe mac

5. My brother had a 383 in a 63 Dodge wagon that acted like that - turned out to be the water pump. Someone had replaced the pump with a rebuilt that had a plastic impeller, which had broken off!

For the price of a water pump I would replace it at this point, along with the thermostat (and the bypass hose).