Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. gggholson

gggholson

In the mid to late '50's I ran Il route 4 (most of which was a brick highway)from Virden to Springfield. Once in Springfield it was the Icy Rood Beer on North Grand or Steak and Shake on South Grand. Cruised in a '39 Buick coupe and later in a '49 business coupe. Those where great days!

2. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

San Mateo Ca ...... ElCamino around highway 92 and then El Camino in Santa Clara

In the late 80's

3. toolman1967

toolman1967

I grew up in Peoria Illinois. We used to cruise Main st, not downtown but up over the bluff from Steak n Shake up to Western ave. It was packed both lanes each way. Everyone would park at any available spot and hang out to check out each others rides. A little bit of smack talk and maybe a drag race would be set up. The races would be ran out on Stone Church rd by Hanna City. This was still going on when I was in H.S. in the mid 80's. Not long after that, the police cracked down and the end came. As far as I know it never came back. The closest thing that I have seen to the old days around here (I live in Southern Illinois now) is Friday nights in Herrin Illinois. Every Friday night guys cruise up and down the main drag in Herrin and park around the downtown area. Great time and no police harassment.

4. Phantomdude

Phantomdude

From Willoughby to Painesville, Ohio on Rt.20 in the ole '56 Chevy 2 door hardtop....sure wish I had it today.

5. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

Mostly Forest Lane in North Dallas, but occasionally Buckner Boulevard in Southeast Dallas. This was in the late 70's to early 80's. At the time I had a '74 Chevy pickup that was relatively quick for back then, but slow by todays standards. I also had a '65 Chevy pickup with a 292 and 3 on the tree. I could get a lot of V8's through first and most of second, but 3rd was too far of a leap.
    If anyone from the Dallas area is interested, we're going to cruise Forest for old times sake in June. PM me for details, or sift through and find the thread I made.

6. 94hoghead

94hoghead

9th street in Slaton,Texas or on special occasions we'd drive to Lubbock and cruise the Sonic drive in on 34th.

7. cavemag

cavemag

North and South main Pocatello Idaho.

8. Hempsted Tpke in Long Island,N.Y. in my 84 Z28.

9. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

Wow, Slaton eh? Do you know anyone by the last name of Shelby there?

10. Van Nuys, San Fernando valley, CA. In the 70's.

11. grichards790

grichards790

South Locust Street in Grand Island, Nebraska. 1966 Chevy El Camino in the early 80's. Good times.

12. hellbuckle50

hellbuckle50
    from Mid TN

Cruised in South Bend Indiana and we made happen on McKinley AVE (U.S 20) and Grape Rd. Pretty heavy commerical area with plenty of parking lots.

Sometimes we'd cruise U.S 31 between Michigan and Indiana but the hype died pretty quick.

and I did that bitch right in a 72 Dodge Polara 4dr Hardtop (stock as hell) and a 66 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (mild-custom)

But those were my Mopar days, long since behind me.

13. Pasta

Pasta

Cruised Main St in Bridgeport CT back in early 80's, and the Merrit Canteen was the place to be.
    I drove a hoodless 69 Corvette, 350 4 speed with a dual quad tunnel ram and a fat roller cam.

14. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

So that was YOU!
    I was a tough guy at Porky's on Lake street, only went to the Robins Nest if I wanted to get my ass kicked. LOL
    On the westside out highway 7 was Snuffy's, mingle with the Cake Eaters. Had a '57 Chev. 283/3 speed, & one of the first '68 Road runners, had it only 6 months before I when into the Army 2/1968. Pretty much over by the time I got Home.

15. ironhead68

ironhead68

Prings Restaurant on E.14th(San Leandro, CA) to Mission Blvd.(hayward, CA) 1962-1966. The Selective Service thought they had a better lifestyle for me.
    Was busted by no less than five patrol cars in my avatar coupe while cruising in bumper to bumper traffic. Written up for no fenders, no wiper, no high beam indicator, no e-brake, no rear plate light, no tire tread (pie crust Bruce"s slicks), no front plate, among other things. Still a juvenile at the time, so just a multi fix -it ticket.
    You young studs have no idea how easy you have it these days.

16. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

My generation did not have a cruise spot, We street raced usualy at Ontario, Or La Marida, Or Compton...

17. k.c.

k.c.

I grew up in northeast Dallas and had a '63 Chevy Sport Coupe. In the late 60's we cruised Mockingbird Ln. by Charco's, around White Rock Lake, down Buckner to Casa Linda, and down Garland Rd. to Prince of Hamburgers and the other Charco's which were side by side. Anyone remember racing on a deserted street off Garland Rd. named Santa Anna?

18. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

Broadway & Main, turn around at the Dairy Queen. Affectionately known as "the gut" in downtown Vancouver Washington. We would head out to Lower River road to drag race, the painted start & finish line (1/4 mile) is still visible today. Last time I checked anyway.

19. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

If you go to Santa Anna today, you will still see 2 fresh sets of black marks for the starting line. I have never been able to catch the action there, but it's apparent that it still goes on.

20. KATFISH

KATFISH

1959-1969 Fort Worth Texas, it was Lonestar drive in's on East Lancaster,West 7th and Jacksboro Hwy.
    Driftwood drive-in on Lancaster.
    Carlson's on University Dr.

21. I know! In the early/mid 70s you could see 3 FULL lanes of hotrods and muscle cars for about 2 miles down the hill and another 2 miles of 3 full lanes going back up the hill on the next block...it was INSANE! Bumper to bumper and some one-block, 3 wide drag races.
    Met my 1st wife cruising Broadway. Also got my 1st open-container ticket there. Wish I'd taken a photo of any Saturday night there.

22. FC49

FC49

[​IMG]

Erie Blvd is where the racing happened, but in the 50s-60s, Salina Street (above pic) thru downtown Syracuse was the #1 cruise venue. Salina was where you went to show off your new paint, wheels, pipes, etc. Any racing was just short 1st-2nd gear stoplight-to-stoplight stuff, but for more serious bouts, it was off to Erie. There were plenty of escape routes off Erie Blvd in case of law enforcement intervention. The stoplights on Erie were far enough apart for some serious speeds.

FC

23. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Grew up in Reseda, California. Went to Cleveland High. Cruised the best of the best Van Nuys Blvd. from 1962 to 1978. Saw it all. Rods to rails.

24. 62nova

62nova

In Houston in the early 80's Westheimer was bad ass. Tunnel rams, Super Bees, and tire smoke.

25. FordMaverickFanatic

FordMaverickFanatic
    from Taylor, MI

My dad's told many stories about Telegraph... The bydocks under I-94 on Ecorse road between Inkster and Beech Daly were a popular spot too I've heard. Rumor has it the gap between the two overpasses is almost exactly a 1/4 mile.

26. Ru5tyNut5

Ru5tyNut5

I'm too young to remember the Gut in Vancouver, well, before it was brought back a couple years ago for one night a year. I cruised hwy. 99 in vancouver til they shut it down. Then it was 15th in Longview til they shut it down, I spent every friday and saturday night in longview for a good couple years, that was the place to be if you had a nice car in the mid 90's...also would hit broadway in portland til they shut it down, actually took a reporter from the Oregonian cruising with me on Broadway once in '97 or so, she wrote an article called "cruise control" or something like that. I got many a ticket cruising Broadway...Seaside Oregon during Oregon's and Washington's spring breaks, way too many tickets there. would make the trip up to Olympia sometimes, don't remember the roads up there. I ventured down to Salem a couple times too. seems like I saw the end of all of the cruising spots around the Portland area, don't think there's been any real consistant cruise spot since the late 90's.

27. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Late 60's/Early 70's McHenry Ave in Modesto, Ca., every now and then Pacific Ave in Stockton, Ca. and a real treat was a visit to my cousins in the L.A. basin and we'd do Van Nuy's Blvd

Attached Files:

28. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

same as sheepdip,only started a few years sooner.then graffiti came and made big deal of it.that was cool but then ricerockets,gangstas,dopers caused too much trouble,no more cruisen there.had my upholstry shop right on mchenry&roseburg.nice spot to watch the cars.

29. Atlantic Ave., Virginia Beach in the mid seventies!

30. Mike

Mike

In the late '70s and early '80s in the south bay area I used to cruise Santa Cruz Ave. in Los Gatos, El Camino Real in Santa Clara and the El Paseo de Saratoga shopping center in Saratoga / San Jose.

I believe that the town of Los Gatos was the first (or at least one of the first) in California to outlaw cruising back in '81 or '82.