Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who is your mentor - helper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaz, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Hi

I always loved classic americans but never had the money or the know how to get involved so I was a late starter

Miles Sherlock of Jackhammer Speedshop has been a great mentor and friend to me - he never belittles me or takes the piss when I ask stupid questions and is happy to offer advice and swap ideas

He introduced me to the HAMB and has sourced parts for my 54 pick up and just delivered the parts to lower my 54 mercury. No doubt he will help me to acheive the mild custom look I am after.

My big ambition is to build a traditional hotrod model a and Miles will be a wealth of knowledge and enthusiam when that happens - which it will.

New guys need people like Miles to show them the ropes, not everyone is lucky enough to be born into a hotrod family.

So who is your mentor and why?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

3. Jesus ... no really guy named jesus .

4. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I'd have to say my grandpa, not a car guy but a great inventor. Because of him I learned to say "lefty losey, righty tighty" before I could speak full a sentance. Learned the basics of welding, machining, casting and designing in his garage before the age of 13.

My other grandad tought me a lot too, I still remember being 5 and helping him trouble shoot the lawn mower. At least I remember it up to the part where he told me to "hang on tight to that sparkplug" as he yanked the starter cord:D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

5. cad-lasalle here on the hamb. probably wouldn't have finished my cars the way i wanted them without his help.

6. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I, like most others in this sport/hobby, take bits and pieces from memory and from other builds and apply my own tastes within my skill level. I do draw a lot of painting ideas from Chip Foose. I like the gimicky cars from the 60's that turned into model cars, like the Paddy wagon and the Monkey's car. I'll be reflecting some of that style of work in some of my next builds.
    I have also been involved in sprint car racing for 33 years, so I tend to fabricate and build using tidbits from that influence. I was a poor kid growing up, so now I'm building the toys that I never had, but in full scale.

Attached Files:

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Curtis is a 60+ yr old man w/ 18 or so old/ odd Mopars on his lot. When I moved into the neighbor hood and saw his place, I knew I had to meet him... I too was a "late bloomer" I got started at age 35.... I bought an engine off of Curtis and asked him if he would help me rebulid it. The pic is from the day we put fire to the very first motor I ever re built. I have know him 3+ years now... His wife passed away recently, and we have realy bonded. I could not have ever built my car with out this man. I value each time we do something together. He has tought me tons, and I look forward to more and more...

Attached Files:

8. filthy frank

filthy frank

me, myself and i.

9. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Mentor, my dad. Helper... still looking, but I'm hoping my kids will be interested. My dad was a second generation gearhead and always had a full shop of tools, and plenty of stuff to work on. I had free reign to screw up, or fix stuff. He was always willing to teach. Working together never worked out, but I wouldn't have known anything without him.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

When it comes to cars my dad ,When it comes to tech ,You guys ..........Saturday off to Maryland with pop to get another Citroen Traction 52 ,This only needs a motor and trans ,Which he has in another car out back ,Motor swap in the spring ,These are the ones that resemble 34 Fords .................

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bob Crosbie. RIP Bob. Local long time gas/comp racer, fabricator/chassis/engine builder/legend.

12. gotmark73

gotmark73

My Dad first and foremost, followed by tons of great guys I met racing and The HAMB and it's many great and helpfull members

13. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

I second that!

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

lots of people. mostly my friends and fellow club members-and of course, the HAMB is an extremely valuable tool. that's what's cool about this hobby, the people that are in it are generally nice people, happy to share their knowledge and expertise.

15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I've been into old cars my whole life, but never built a street rod until in my 40's because I couldn't afford it before then. As a teenager I looked up to 2 guys in the neighborhood. Joe Keller & Bob Taylor. Joe had the fast cool cars, and Bob was "the" pinstriper in the neighborhood. I would ride my bike down by Bob's house and watch him strip a car. When I finally could afford to build a street rod an old school rodder named Charlie Sneed, set up my chassis and did all my welding. He was like a father to me. He never laughed at my stupid questions, and answered all of them. He died a couple of years ago, and I really miss him. RIP Charlie.

16. cheveey57

cheveey57

Have no mentor, and my wife helps me by staying out of the garage..............

17. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

My good friend and hot rodder Charlie, My loving Grandfather, and any one willing to help me.

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep, mine too! best part about it-alone time!

19. TJratz

TJratz

Hands down...My dad!

20. oldodge

oldodge

My dad is my mentor. He can do more with nothing than anyone could imagine. Don't normally have a helper but my wife helps whenever I need her too. Anything too major for the wife, I get my brother to help with.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Car people ... male, female...old, young.
    AND ALL FREE LABOR.

22. Thirdcoast

Thirdcoast

Well, I felt compelled to comment in this post as I have always been the "Idea Guy".

I have had a plethora of ideas in my brain all of my life and of course wanted them to come to fruition...

I don't know if I learned this or came by it due to my own limitations.. probably a combination of both.

I have had "Hot Rods" since I was in Jr High School, first one being a 1950 Ford (1956) that my Dad helped me buy then taught/made me to work on..

Later in life I came to the conclusion that I should ask or hire those who could actually build what I wanted.. I raced for a number of years, both drag race as well as SCCA road race etc.

I would say that I have relied on my mentors and/or helpers to build and get running more than they relied on me.. although a lot of them said to me "Man, I never would have thought of that". I have an ability to recall the complete cam profile of the first engine I built and can do a computer profile of an engine that is pretty correct, but have a problem with the actual grunt work....

However they put up with me as I was a pretty good dirver... we won a lot. and I didn't get too big headded about it...

Basically what I am trying to say is It takes both to make your dreams happen...

Being an older guy/geezer, I am doing a 57 Pu and am relying on the help of friends as well as sites such as this to make it into my last Hot Rod..

Thanks for all of your help,

Thirdcoast

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  23. My Dad & Uncle, first!
    Gary Maroney
    Jim Kitchen
    Dale Shubert

Those are the credible ones.. I've also learned what not to do, from mostly everyone else. B)

24. dignahole

dignahole
    from ohio

My dad for sure, all started as a kid. I remember lookin at pics of his high school ride a very channeled homemade model A roadster. Sold before I was born, then a second homemade model A roadster. I remember going for the first maiden voyage, at maybe 5 making loud motor sounds as he was shifting gears. He quickly slowed down thinking he was about to blow it apart. He just looked at me confused but knew I was hooked.

25. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

My mentor just happens to be my best friend also , my dad , when I was so young that I couldn't see over the fenders of what he was working on , he taught me my wrench sizes , so , all he had to do was ask for a certian size , and there I was. , I really don't remember it , but , he used to be riding around and I was always there , he'd pick up one of his buddies to go look at another car he was dealing on , and I had the job of naming all years and makes of vehicles passing us in the oncoming lane. I find it kinda funny , some of the things you remember as a kid , kinda like still frames , but , I can remember standing in the front bench seat beside him(try that kinda thing now and see what happens with the local law enforcement) in a bright red '66 Impala , the dash was as bright red as the outside of the car , and I remember thinking "man , that red stick sure does move fast"....without further ado... my Dad...

Attached Files:

26. Gerg

Gerg

ottoman here on the HAMB my good friend Jim i will never forget the day he changed the fuel pump in one of my cars in the middle of winter in his driveway been listening to his advice ever since

can't forget the Vagabonds always helping me out

27. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I am a spounge man, I learned all I know from the older guys in town. The one that taught me the most is Jim McCallum (Former West Coast Kustoms Washington stat director) and all around bad ass.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I never really had a 'mentor', but was taken under the wing by a group of older guys when I was 12...they were drag racers, 1954.

But in later years, when the heat was on the one guy that really got my attention was lots of people's mentor. That man is Mr. Al Gore, the most brilliant mind in modern America! He showed me the error of my ways...

29. Real easy the guys name is Bob Huckhus in wolf crk Oregon took a ass hole know it all and schooled me with me 52 the correct way to build a car is the best you know how and if you dont know ask !

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good point! I forgot those guys!
    Me: Rick, its in 180, just listen, you can hear it popping in the carb...
    Rick: No its not, I KNOW I had it on compression...
    Me: Rick, you wasting your time, its in 180...
    Rick: No, its noWHUMPFFF! big fireball, Rick dancing around with beard on fire...
    Me: told you it was in 180...
    Good times, good times...