Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi-temp powdercoat/jet-hot header coating? Fair price quote?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bull, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Bull

Bull

I just got a quote of $250 to coat my new headers with a hi-temp powdercoat. Does that seem fair?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3onthetree

3onthetree

That's about what I paid to have some new cast iron exhaust manifolds done.

It's only been a couple of years, and they're rusty already. I also had an issue with them not allowing the shipper to leave the package. I had to take a day off work so I could be home to sign for them.:mad:

That's a sweet looking ride by the way.

3. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

That's about the going rate on the west coast.

4. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Good, Fast, Cheap pick two.

5. Bull

Bull

Nowhere did I say I thought that was expensive, nor did I say I needed them fast . . .

I'm just looking for personal experiences to see if this is a fair quote as I have not priced out this sort of thing before.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I heard $210 to hot coat just exhaust manifolds so I think that's a pretty good deal. I actually found chroming my manifolds by the crackhead chromer that I use was cheaper then hot coating them which was for only $125.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh by the way, those look so damn good.

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

we have a powder coater across the street that did high temp powdercoating for awhile ! never seemed to hold up from what i was told ! i have sent my last 2 sets to high performance coatings which is ceramic not powdercoating ! cost was around 300 to blast em and coat inside and out ! what color you going for ?

9. Bull

Bull

Black satin. This is the guy that gave me the quote: http://newimagecoatings.com/ He's actually coated turbos for racers and had no comebacks. I can't imagine my headers seeing heat anywhere close to that of a turbo -- nor the 2000 degree temps they say the coating is good for,

10. Bull

Bull

Thanks! They turned out exactly how I wanted. Matt (saltflatmatt/lakeheaders.com) outdid himself on these. This is my 3rd set of headers by Matt and he'll likely get ALL of my exhaust work from now on!

11. Arizona57

Arizona57
    from Arizona

I got a quote in Gilbert, AZ to Silver Ceramic Coat inside and out BBC headers: $225. Black outside only: $180.

Very nice ride!

12. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Don't get them powdercoated. Get the ceramiccoated Hightemp powdercoat is only good until 1200 degrees at the head a header is about 1700

13. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Looks killer....check out Hy-Tec Coatings in Waukesha, WI. He coats a lot of headers and industrial parts. Uses the Tech Line product and he will back his work! Ask for Mike! He coats the inside and outside of the header to protect them. Does satin black and your typical silver finish. His work is top notch. Bit of a drive for you but worth it to do it right the first time!

http://www.hy-tecpowdercoating.com

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds fair, especially for the length that they are

they look bad ass too

15. Bull

Bull

If you read his website, it says his coating is good to 2000 degrees. Should be ok I'd assume.
    http://newimagecoatings.com/

16. About 18 years ago my headers were about $300 at Jet Hot if I remember right. It was more expensive than the black bbq grill paint we had on there but the benefits were obvious.

17. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I went with satin black Jet Hot on my Sandersons. No way to clean them and stuff sticks to them. I am not too pleased and I doubt you will be with them being fully exposed.