Register now to get rid of these ads!

seam sealers - choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDER, Jan 26, 2011.

1. FEDER

FEDER

So Im workin on a project that I have some seams to reseal. 3m seam seal is 15.95 per tube. This is the stuff the factory is supposed to use. So couldnt I go to lowes or home depot and get some paintable caulk for tubs or doors and windows. Would it do the same thing? or would a paintable adhesive maybe work? Reason I ask is its one third to half the price. Anybody tried it and did it work? Thanx FED

2. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I like the Dynatron stuff, its cheap, and its stinky. (stinky is good)

3. sc3283

sc3283
    from st louis

pending what and where your caulking...you might get away with doing that...but with the work required to remove it all if/when it fails...is it really worth not using the good stuff (3-m)?

personally..I'd use the 3m before home improvement types

4. GOOD-LUM

GOOD-LUM
    from ?

I would highly doubt that Caulk will work for your seam sealer. Even the Paintable stuff is only "Paintable" with house paint. If you are spraying any automotive paints over the "Home-Improvement" stuff, your asking for a mess... The solvents in auto-paints are WAY to Hot for that and will React in catastrophic ways :)

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

I mostly use windsheild urethane ...which is adhesive and don't let go easy..so long as its put on a properly prepped surface. Home depot or handyman type products don't usually last well . Wurth(German company) make all different kinds of seam sealers as do 3m and Sikaflex...put em on right and they look just like factory!

6. striper

striper

I used a urethane one. It was either Wurth or Sika I believe. Great result, paints well with lacquer and is holding up so far. How many tubes are you thinking you'll need?

7. I use quart can and cut the bristles down on cheap 1" brushes. Goes a long way.

8. Silicone sealer for use on buildings contains a lot of ascetic acid (that's the vinegar smell it has) and will rust the areas it contacts.

9. Sikaflex - used on the chassis and windows, has not moved or leaked in 24 years.

10. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Motorcraft Roof Ditch Sealer...from your Ford dealership.

11. bryan6902

bryan6902

Good stuff isn't cheap! I got some Wurth stuff that a parts store was closing out. I knew it was a deal at $5-10 per tube when the original price tag said $30-35. Having the correct gun to apply the 2 part tubes is also a must have. I think you can buy single tube stuff to put in your regular caulk gun, but you got to use it all in 15 minutes or it's junk. I used the Evercoat? brush on seam sealer in some spots $20-25 for a quart.

12. 3m "fast and firm" worth the money. it goes on easy and "flows" out. unless your filling giant gaps it goes a long way. iv'e tried cheaper stuff and regular caulksthey are not for the long run .

13. Noland

Noland

I use fusor 803 or 800. 803 is black and 800 is tan, but they are urethane seal sealer. works good comes out of the tube easy, its cheap maybe 12 to 14 a tube but a tube goes along way. It stays brushable alot longer than 3m. Its pretty much like windsheild urethane just smoother.youll kill your arm trying to sqeeze windsheild urethane out of a caulking gun.

14. darkk

darkk

silicone will react with the metal....it eats away at tin.:(

15. BenderJ

BenderJ
    from Detroit

The 3M quart can is much easier to use/apply than the caulk tube is.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

X2, its all I use, good stuff for the money.

17. troylee

troylee

Fast n Firm for me also. I have to trim up the brush, to get it to hold the brush marks. good stuff

18. fms427

fms427

Fast & Firm also for many years - only issue is it's a little stinky for a while if you use it inside the car....

19. FEDER

FEDER

Thanks for the replys Fellas. Ive used sikaflex in the past with good results. But I got it at work. Looks like its the old Ya get what Ya pay for. Thanks again. FED

20. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i use the sausages from rubber seal, nice stuff, solvent based so you can smooth it over with a little wax and grease remover on a rag, only thing is, the caulking gun to dispense it ain't cheap. another thing, it says you can put directly over bare metal, but i never do, usually over etch primer or sealer, and it's paintable.

21. Buy Cheap/ Buy again

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

J.C. Whitney sells a brushable seam sealer made by Bondo.

23. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

iv'e used many different types so i can honestly tell you dont cheep out on the sealer the best stuff is "3-m fast and firm" its easy to use dries firm and wont crack. plus you can use lacquer thinner on a rag to smooth and shape it before it sets or sand it after it sets. it is expensive though @$15.00 tube but worth it.

24. FED, you ave always been a cheapskate...hahahahahha, on an aside wanna help me get my 318 running in the truck??? Bud

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Eastwood's brushable seam sealer and been very happy with the results. I wanted the look of brushed seams, however. The price on the Eastwood stuff is much less than Napa wanted for 3M.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The houselold stuff works OK as a sealer, but tends to be softer than the automotive brands. It also does not take paint as well.
    The 2 component stuff is always best, and most expensive, the 3M you mentioned is a good comprimise.

27. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I have also used Eastwood brushable sealer on several cars and have been very happy with it. I will use it on my current project. rj