Register now to get rid of these ads!

Young hambers--WHo are you n' what are you working on??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by begborrowandsteel, Aug 2, 2005.

1. whats the deal with that car thats in the garage in those pics?/? looks cool>

2. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

That's my buddy's garage we're orking on it at,....and that is a 1950 chevy fleetline with caddy fins massaged into the rear fenders!!

Jason

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

wow!! damn i'm envious!! you shoud add that you live in a great part of the country where you can find "solid" cabs too!! everything out here in PA dies a rusty death due to our wonderful winters we get!! great pickup brother,....i've been trying to talk a local guy out of a 34 ford cab,....so far i've got him on the edge almost going to sell it,....pretty good cab too!

oh well, not enough cash to do much though!!

Jason

4. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Nice to see all the guys still in their teen years who are doing it "right" ,.... keep it up guys!

Jason

5. Rusty

Rusty

Thrashing for the HAmb Drags on a chopped 34 Ford truck, 283 motor, 4 speed, 9 " rear. Been thrashing for 2 weeks. Looks like we will make it.

[​IMG]

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ahhh, nice cab,...nice!,..I'm in love!!
    :p

Jason

7. PinHead

PinHead

I'm 19, living in Iowa and going to school locally for a 2-year Auto Service & Body program. Currently building a '62 fairlane that will be a mostly shaved mild custom, in two-tone Pearl blue and white, and riding on original '70s ET mags. Got one quarter panel left to graft on yet as the salt on the roads up here pretty much destroy everything. My old man got me a 302-c4 combo for a grad gift, and put it in together (which required more cussing than I thought he was capable of) and did all the mods/bodywork myself at school.

As for the cash, my pops has been a huge help along the way (sometimes i think he sees it as being his as much as mine) and I also work around 20 hours a week as a parts welder in a production plant that builds trailers and shit for farm equipment.

One thing I want to echo the most is the help that we get from the old guys. If you show the enthusiasm and respect it's often amazing how much they'll help you out.

8. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

I'm 14 and starting to get parts for my '26 Dodge Koop...

TTYL.

Later, peace...

Troy,

9. Skimmer

Skimmer

I know this is probably a dumb ass question but i take it you can legally drive at 16 in America ,my lads 16 and has another year before he's legal its 17 here, What do you young guns do for insurance as in England you cant get a Rod or Custom insured untill around early 20's as no insurance companys want to know............

10. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

For insurance, what I've been told is to register it as a "Classic" or, some have said, "Salvage", either one I hear works, but, I don't know...

TTYL.

Later, peace...

Troy.

11. Crazy_Farmer

Crazy_Farmer

I'm almost 18 but I have been looking seriously for old hots since I was 13. Never found one in my price range or condition that I could work on. First one that got me started was seeing American Graffiti when I was really young so I wanted a 32 and I still want one. It kind of sucks becuase when I was 16 my brother already had his 56 chevy for two years so I wanted to get something now. Well one of his friends had a v8 s10 and it was cheap so I was young and my brother kindof froced it on but I bought it. Had to every since and havent finished it becuase I hate it and am tired of it. Trying hard to sell it now so I can build some late 20s early 30s car or P/U with either a flattie or a straight 6. I like the straight 6 idea a lot lol. Here's a link to my very crappy v8 s10 lol I seriously hate it so much. http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/v8s15.html

12. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Just turned 18 and got a 27 T Sedan about week before that. Try and make it early 60's style. Been working on it whenever i have time. Have a flathead but ill put a sbc w/ a turbo 400 for now until i get more money to rebuild the flatty.

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Darn this is a LOOOOOONG thread! Its great to see that the creativity of the younger generation is thriving so well out there in HAMB land.

Nightfire,
    I dig the truck.

CoalTownKid,
    Where did you get such a neat hood ornament? It would go great on a woody.

14. Skimmer

Skimmer

15. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Sure its not a traditional hot rod, but I bet it's fast. I don't blame you for looking for a rod to build, but i wouldn't be too bummed out about the truck.

16. shitbox2

shitbox2

im 18 and had a 51 pontiac but now have a 37 buick car that im slamming and gonna drive while i work on it. the way i am woking is working 40 hour weeks being a bitch at a race car fab shop for $8

17. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Greetings everyone!

Although I made this account awhile ago, guess I"m still FNG. lol

A 19 year old back yard body man (like a lot of us) working on a couple projects - 1963 Chevy Biscayne 2 door (old school mild kustom), and a 1985 Olds Delta 88 fixed up strongly in the 50s tradition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for this thread!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  18. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Wow man, that's awesome! Very rare kids our age have stuff like this. Congrats, keep up the good work :) Glad to see others still doing this! :D

19. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

[/QUOTE]

Hey man!

I attend Lead East every year, if you do make it I very much look forward to seeing you there. Excellent work on your Merc so far!

20. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

I'm 16 (17 in february) and working with what I've got -- a 1979 Lincoln coupe. It's pretty slow going; I like to tinker but have practically zero mechanical ability. As it stands now, it's a driver that runs rougher than it looks. :D

A lot of y'all seem to have very supportive families, which is awesome. My mom is fond of my car as it used to belong to her father, but categorically vetos anything (exhaust, purchase of a Camaro, etc) that would make us look like rednecks-- I guess she's "reformed". By the spring I will have about $3500 saved up... I hope to convert said money into some interesting HAMB-friendly car that is less ghetto than my Lincoln... I need a reliable car, unfortunately.

Keep the pics coming everyone! Pardon the chicken.

Attached Files:

21. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

wrote that on 08-05-2005, thats crazy it seems like it was last week.

ahh how time fly's........

22. 11 days to go till im 18 shit i feel old now:p heres my heap had it a year now started with a bare frame and worked up to this so far, look at my build thread for more details

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Noland

Noland

Im 21, feels like I was just 18 Im getting old. Ive been working on my Model A coupe since I was 17. I got My first car when I was 13,a 69 factory big block dodge dart. Ive always wanted a hot rod though and the only way is to build it. Its still got a long ways to go but its come along ways from where it began. The HAMB has been very inspiring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Ryan272

Ryan272
    from Australia

I'm only 20, and considering we dont get to drive until were 18 here in Aus (let alone not being able to drive a fucking v8/turbo/car over 220kw until we're 22 in Vic) I consider myself young enough to post here :p
    I've got a '52 chev that i bought when i was 18, the link to the build thread is in my tagline.
    As far as affording it, i went without a driveable car for 12 months until i could afford one and now i save my money and buy stuff as i can afford it. i work 36 hours a week and study 25 hours.
    I don't spend my money on pointless shit and drugs like most kids my age also.

25. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hey man!

Great to see someone else wanting to do something old school with maybe a later car (70s or 80s). It's very possible to really create something unique with these, since it really hasn't been done before. I wish you luck with your project! I see it as great Lowrider material but I'm very sure you can make a pretty cool kustom out of it!

26. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Can very much relate to where you are coming from. I have zero mechanical ability but tons of kustom ideas. My 2 cents worth: if you don't mind the back yard look, get into kustom painting with spray cans and bolt on chrome accessories, maybe molding if you got the fiberglass skills. You could do a very sick panel fogging job on that Lincoln.

27. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Nice man! Congrats!! Best christmas gift ever, that's insane. Have fun with it!

28. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

Thanks! The one downside of it never having been done much before is a lack of sources for inspiration... LOL.

I was thinking any color but pale yellow (OK -- "Cream") would look nicer on this Linc. Maybe flat black with pinstriping of some sort and a change of wheels? It's certainly long enough to have presence at 19 foot 4 inches... I'd also like to drop a 460 in it.

Of course, I have two obstacles preventing me from doing something drastic to it:
    -- it has 42,235 miles on it.
    -- My stupid neighborhood has installed speed bumps all over the place. Rear suspension is shot already so I have to be careful as it is.

29. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Here's my 33 ford 5 window... 331 hemi, cadillac lasalle transmission, quick change rear end...

Attached Files:

30. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

I'm almost 20, I've been working on a '57 Plymouth since I was 16 and then I have my daily driver/work in progress, '63 Dodge Dart. Got plans to paint it here pretty soon, as well as overhaul the front end and brakes, some interior work, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's the '57.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Dart has the 225 Slant Six [most reliable car I have ever owned, no joke!] with 3-on-the-tree. The '57 has the 301 V8 with 2speed Powerflite push-button trans, and the Plymouth does run and drive under her own power, even though the brakes are shot and the whole car needs a full resto! haha.

-Allan