Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modifying 1940's Remote oil filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecheappolock, Dec 18, 2010.

1. I've got a NOS Purolator NE1517 remote oil filter and cartridge from the 40's that I got off Ebay.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of modifying the in and out ports because it only has one hole going in and one going out and they're not even 1/8 in diameter. I'm going to weld on a bung with a hole in it on the side and make a new nut. Right now the inlet goes through a banjo fitting on the top nut.

What size are the holes in the other makes, (Fram, AC, etc.)

I also can't seem to locate a new filter for it, it doesn't have any markings on it and online cross references don't list it. Anybody know a source?

Thanks,

Dan

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That is a bypass filter and it won't work as a full flow no matter what size lines you put on it. As to replacement filters Ebay maybe, a lot of those old housings filters have not been available in many years. Hang it on the wall or put it back on Ebay.

3. Out of curiosity, how does a bypass filter work?

I'm going to just use the housing and make it a full flow. I was going to just machine my own when I stumbled on this one.

4. I took the filter to work, cut out the old shaft, made a new one and a side inlet bung. I found a full flow filter that is a cartridge style. It's for 65 to 75 Dodge trucks.

Before I modified it. That's a 70 year old NOS filter!
    [​IMG]

The new shaft I made out of 416 s.s. on top and the old one on the bottom. Check out the tiny holes in the old one.
    [​IMG]

The old banjo fitting and the new side bung (also 416 s.s.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a good friend TIG welded the bung and shaft in. He's a much better tig man than I am.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, the old filter and the new Wix filter.
    [​IMG]

Here's the specs from their website;

Part Number: 51076
    UPC Number: 765809510760
    Principal Application: Dodge Trucks (65-75), Chrysler Industrial Engines
    All Applications
    Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
    Service: Lube
    Type: Full Flow
    Media: Paper
    Height: 4.198
    Outer Diameter: 3.367
    Inner Diameter: 0.764
    Nominal Micron Rating: 25

A little paint and it should be all set.

5. 1940rpu

1940rpu

Nice workmanship!

6. I agree,,, nice work and why not ?

7. 6inarow

6inarow

I have several cool old filters. Now I need someone to machine the parts for them. these would be great on 235's!!!

8. Thanks! I know most of what I did could be replicated with pipe from the local Home Depot or whatever, but almost all we work with is stainless and the scrap is cheap, so why not.

BTW, the pipe theads are 3/8. I went this big because the I.D. of the pipe matches the size of the oil pump outlet.

Here's how I'm going to plumb it. I want to loop the return line up like this so that the oil won't drain out when the engine is off. Plus, I gain about a quart of capacity.

On the top, it just has the nut now, the banjo fitting isn't used.

[​IMG]

9. Nice work. Stainless is a bitch to machine.

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

Aren't you concerned about the filter not having an internal bypass? True full flow filters incorporate one for good reasons.

Bob

11. The most trouble I've had is with 304 and 440.

I'm a tool and die maker and I work with 303, 416, 316L, as well as A2, cpm10v, etc. on a daily basis. I've found it's not really too bad, as long as you use carbide endmills and at least 730 grade inserts in the facemills and turning tools.

The parts I made are 416 hard (mid 30's Rc).

12. I'm going to run a bypass pressure valve and bridge pipe right out of the pump. Hidden that way.

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

OK -- Looks like you've got it figured out.

Bob

14. a.y1320

a.y1320