Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magic Chrome???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28 chevy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I don't need to back anything up with hard science, I think my arguments are well founded. Besides, I believe the hard science you have shown is a moot point when discussing decorative brightwork.
    Like I said before, even though silver is rated higher on refractivity, it tarnishes and scratches easily without having a refractive index-sapping clearcoat over it, rendering the fact a moot point. It just isn't a viable topcoat on its own no matter how shiny it is, because it has to have protective coating applied over it. I am yet to see a clearcoat that is as hard as chromium also, let alone one that doesn't sap the refractive index of the metal.
    Now if you can get silver to still have a higher refractive index (look like a mirror to the naked eye) than chrome with a coating over it that equalled chromium's durability, and be cost-effective, I can see it as a comparable alternative to chromium. I'm saying refractive index is a very small part of what really matters in decorative brightwork.
    For example, I have a white-gold wedding band, that I can buff to a brilliant luster that just might have a higher refractive index than chromium. However, it loses that shine much much quicker than a chromed finish would, because it is so much softer than chromium. With silver, it has that soft-metal issue along with the tarnishing issue.

I am interested in the last link with that kind of claim. I'll read up it. Although as far as I know, powdercoating isn't even close to the hardness of chromium.

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Now I must admit that even the Best Clear coat will take away some of the superior reflective properties of Silver, but How much? I don't know since many types of clears are used, but one to the naked eye its impossible to distinguish..:p I guess we are even here since neither you nor I know the exact numbers, but you can check the bellow video and pics of a spray on chrome product, before clear and after clear, not much difference.

here its the pic of the Freshly Spray on Silver Product
    [​IMG]

here the guys its Clear Coating it
    [​IMG]

here another pin on a darker setting, now tell me if this is reflective enough for ya...:cool:
    [​IMG]

here is the original youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHjxX3HlBNU&feature=related

for decorative purposes it does not need to be as durable as chromium, but the I agree the price needs to go down, it should be just a bit more expensive than a good paint job, that's why I am dedicating my time to build a small budget system, so we don't get over priced..

Powder coating its very durable and if applied correctly will provide exceptional corrosion resistance to steel wheel rims...

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

28 chevy any updates??..

when properly done even the best cheap spray can chrome can look good..

check afew spoons I did with a Chinese brand spray can chrome(2$) the secret its on the prep...its an enalmel so its not as durable as the alcohol based ones(alsa/alclad)
    [​IMG]

you need to start with a mirror black finish(samples will be with Plastics spoons)
    [​IMG]

then very very mist coats(up to 4, let each coat dry for 15 to 20 minutes), you should end up with something like the spoons bellow, if not then you used too much paint..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

let me know if I can be of help...:)

4. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

I think I have the application down. The majic chrome has to be REALLY misted on. I am just having trouble locating a clear that will work.
    On a side note, I did my dash insert and when I put the clear on and baked it it rinkled the shit out of it. IT LOOKS REALLY COOL! I will be using it as is!
    Any ideas about paint and clear to use? Would prefer something cheap and local.
    Will be trying door handles next.

5. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

that's the 1 billion dollar question for each and every single chrome paint in the market be it cheap or expencive, its just the nature of the beast, the best rout for you to go its going to be a Clear water based clear coat(acrylic or polyurethane) they dry fast and are quite durable and they will not affect the polish aluminum looks much(just a little bit)

I Will post pics of spoons clear coat it with it soon...:)

6. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

You mean like a Minwax or something?

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

yes.. you could try their polycrylic, its a water based clear acrylic coating.... I myself have not tried yet but it should work...

[​IMG]

8. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

OK, What about underneath. Tried rustoleum and some Nason single stage I have. Should either one work?

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well a black single stage Urethane would be best, after all you paid good money for the chrome paint, and the base prep its where you win or lose..

one tip, try to get the smoothest coat possible without sanding it, some paint just wont shine the same after polishing them..:mad:

check my mirror black spoon, this is what you want
    [​IMG]

Edit: my spoon its what you call Base coat/Clear coat system.. Why? well its because Paint, will NOT stick to these plastic spoons, even with primer, so I used Krylon Fusion, which its a paint that will stick to any plastic this world has to offer, after curing the Krylon fusion just used a 2k Urethane clear...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

How does this Polish aluminum looks for ya.....:p

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

chevy buddy, count me in if you need help....

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Any Luck Chevy?...:confused:

here check more spoons....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Enjoy...:cool:

12. noxided

noxided

ive seen it on a mercedes about 4 years ago. look just like chrome but its very soft paint im guessing because it was covered in swirls like someone washed with with a rag found in the dirt.

13. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Chevy buddy any news yet? if you need help please drop me a line ok...:cool:

here some spoons painted with NO NAME Chrome paint I swear its not alsa ..:p (the trick its on the prep)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

i used that kemchrome ? stuff you find on ebay worked pretty good.when you clear it,it will bite into the silvers so what i did was put a coat of envirobase t490 basicly a waterbased clear base and it protected the silvers. not perfect but looks like a polished stainless

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Yes any water transparent water based coating will protect the finish because it wont alter the small aluminium particles that have already settle...:)

this is the kemkhrome web page(scroll down to the page)
    http://www.kemfx.com/Graphic_Effect_Colors.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  16. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

used the minwax polyclear like in the 1 picture you have and it actually made the finish duller. I had pretty good shine befor clearing. I am doing the door hadles and this past weekend I ground them down and polished them and they are BEAUTIFUL.
    May try the majic chrome on something else sometime.
    Jim

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Bummer...:( well I have never tried the polycrylic myself but I guess it wont work with magic chrome paint...

18. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

yeah that was your tip i used thanks alot.only instead of a clear top coat i used the base.thanks for the idea

19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

ok I was able to take some pics of a chrome painted spoon with a waterborne clear coating(industrial, not automotive)

as you will see the coating does in fact dull the color to a polished aluminum color instead of the chrome paint we all love, that´s why I am building my self a silver nitrate system as I have maxed what I believe its physicaly possible with chrome paint, so I need to move on to chemicals instead of paints..

here the pics..

you will know which one its the clear coat it on

[​IMG] [​IMG]

thanks..

20. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

i just watched west coast customs spray a car with it and i was impressed,it looked like chrome to me.
    i had my 55 bumper that is fiberglas done 6-7 years ago but it got hit and screwed up the chrome. i sprayed it with chrome spray paint,i found that duplicolr looks best..like polished aluminim,but you can not clear coat it or wax it or it will turn dull silver.
    i do not want to invest thousands on a chrome system because i donot think i will make my money back in the area i live.
    is there someone that can do my front bumper for me? if not is there a smaller kit i can buy?

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

you can build your own small system, its a DIY so you will have to figure out what works for ya or not, but I could help you if you need some info

check this thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525744&highlight=spray+on+chrome&page=12

22. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

is there someone that can do my front bumper for me? if not is there a smaller kit i can buy?[/QUOTE]

At the risk of getting in trouble from Big Brother for working business on the forum, I'd be glad to help. Drop me an e-mail through my web-site- bulldogcustomchrome.com

23. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

That previous post was for chevnut 55. The quote didn't come out on my reply. The video you saw with West Coast Customs uses a different chemical supplier than I use. I tried those products and have much better results with the system I currently work with. Let me know if I can help.

24. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I see you moved from spectra to Goldtouch.... how its their basecoat clearcoat system? do you still have some spectra clear? would be cool to chrome 2 small parts using gold´s chemicals and test them using spectra base/clear system and Gold touch´s own system...

25. This is a great post as I have been considering the SpectraChrome system and Todd has been calling, wanting me to buy their set up. I was unaware of any alternatives and it still isn't clear to me on which system is the 'Hot Ticket' for cost verses performance.

26. It's your money and your car so do what you like. But, for me, the bottom line is that it isn't chrome. I'd rather paint parts and save up for chrome or have them nickel plated instead (a bit cheaper and less prep) or make it myself in stainless or ally and polish it. That way it's real.

27. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

the prep need it to have a mirror like part its the same as triple chrome..

here check what some of his customers think of his syste http://www.youtube.com/user/Sunnychristy40

my best advise is, build your own spraying syste and and buy the chemicals from the guys that sell them in small kits and give them a try and see what works best for you

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  28. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I've been using Gold Touch for quite a while. It's not a recent switch.

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

in your own words what makes the difference? the coating system?

30. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

If you're looking for a quick easy way to make some money, this isn't it. It takes time and practice to get it right. Also shop conditions, proper temperature, quality equipment, and a paint booth are all necessary if you're going to be serious about doing this.
    Again, if you are serious about doing this as a business, you will have to make a substantial investment in equipment. This is not a DIY type operation. Research the suppliers out there before you start. You will hear contradictory testimonials from their referrals. I will be glad to share my experiences with you if you'd like.