Register now to get rid of these ads!

100% Made In America Paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 25, 2011.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Just wondering if there is a company producing 100% Made In America auto paint. Not mixed in Mexico, not made in America from foreign compnonents. 100% Made In America.

What do you know?

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I was told by the local paint shop that Dupont is 100% made in America. Can any of you paint gurus confirm?

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know of a paint company made right here in the states but they only take paypal.

4. flatford39

flatford39

So what's their name??? I for one have no problem with paypal.

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

He's making fun of me because I stand by certain principles. Paypal/ebay donate money to anti-2nd Ammendment organizations, so I have boycotted them. I'm trying to use non-foreign stuff when building my pickup as much as is feasibly possible. JJ is a funny guy. :D

I check labels and don't buy chinese goods whenever possible. No politics, just personal preference.

6. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

So....would you eat at a Chinese Buffet?;)

Where is HOK made?

I seem to remember a company that started with the letter "D" making stuff here but it isn't DuPont that I'm thinking of. It may take me awhile to remember. It was one of those "technical" sounding names.

7. If you're being completely anal about the Made in USA paint, you're probably out of luck. How can you know that each and every pigment, chemical, petroleum byproduct, the can, the label, the machinery needed to put it all together etc., etc, comes frome the US? How about the guy working at the plant? Does he have papers?
    Just do the best you can.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I am doing the best I can. What's wrong with wanting to spend my money with a company who hasn't farmed out their products and jobs overseas?

I'm not pushing my principles on anybody else, just doing my part to not be part of the problem. ;)

9. flat150

flat150
    from Wisconsin

Started to look closer at labels now and doing my best not to buy food made in communist China. Just put some canned peaches back on the shelf in the local big box store with the statue of liberty on the can and the made in China stamp on the label. Unreal. Paint who knows?

10. No need to get your dick in a knot, Terd.
    I'm just saying that the day of the 100% American made product is about gone. The can may say "Made in the USA" but the raw materials may, and probably have, come from all over the world. How many foreign sourced parts are in a new Chevy, Ford or Harley Davidson? Look under your computer and see where it came from. I try to support the US worker. I was union almost all of my working career, but where can I get a US made cordless 18 volt drill driver or a good vacuum cleaner made right here.
    I just do the best I can

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Not in a knot. Need a good Made in America vacuum? Kirby. I have one and it is AWESOME!!! You'd be surprised what you can find if you look. Not as easy as going to the local big box store and grabbing the best deal on the shelf, but it is still possible to buy American with a little research. No offense meant and none taken. ;)

12. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I would think it impossible , pigments come from every corner of the world .

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Local shop who mixes and tints claims all the Dupont tints are made in America. Still looking for confirmation.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I think it's a valid question. Maybe you don't find one and maybe you do, I think it's admirable that you're making an effort.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

I completely agree.

16. Checksix!

Checksix!

I appreciate the effort and try do do the same, getting very hard though in many cases.

Dave

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dupont has factories all over the world. They operate in 70 countries. It's very likely they produce some products for us here. However, I couldn't find any locations of their automotive paint factory.

18. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Well I can't think of the one I heard of. I tried Googling different stuff but no luck. When I typed in "American Made Auto Paint" this thread came up, a bunch of Maaco links, and something called Henkel North America. I didn't try the "Henkel" link.

I'm positive it wasn't DuPont I'd heard was "American" but I'm not saying it couldn't be. If anything, the best you can do is just buy "big store" product from the small town shop. At least keep the little guys in business, you know what I mean?

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Hey, if it comes to paying an extra $100 or $200 bucks for an entirely American made paint for my entirely American made '63 Dodge when it comes time to repaint her, count me in...I'm already spending the extra cash to buy American made brake parts to rebuild the whoa end of her, and American made parts to spruce up her big block go end of her...

20. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

there was a dupount factory in flint that use to make paint went to a couple classes there back in the day ..

21. F&J

F&J

I'd have to look at a bunch of labels..:confused:

I got in 1-1/2 pickup loads of paint and mixing toners etc. Some old NOS paints like 3 matching gallons of Ford Poppy red laquer:cool:

some of it must be USA;)

Attached Files:

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditzler??? Just a wag.

23. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Nah. I'd have remembered that. I wanna say Delspar but I think I'm getting confused/influenced by Valspar. When I try to think about it, only two words come to mind, Delspar and Delphi and it isn't either of those. What I hate is it will come to me at the most inopportune time or a few months from now.:(

24. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

We have a place in Longview Texas that makes the paint right here. They have acrylic enamel not as many colors as Dupont. But I know it is made here because I have been to the factory and seen them making it. A lot of Military restorers use them also. I'm like you and search out American made.
    Gillespie Coatings
    211 Gum Springs Rd Longview, TX 75602
    (903) 753-0393

25. DuPont has a plant that makes "automotive finishes and coatings" in Mount Clemens, Michigan. I had a friend that used to work there when he lived in that area.

26. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Only if the petroleum products that they use to make all of the chemicals are derived from USA oil wells. There are a lot of chems and pigments in paint, this would be fairly tough to not out source some of the components to acheive certain colors.

27. We had a Kirby, years ago. Good machine, but grossly overpriced. BTW, Kirby bags are made in China.
    You can find many US products if you look hard enough, but many are impossible, like most electronics, shoes, Levis, Vice Grips, batteries, the list goes on and on and it's getting longer every day. The few manufacturers that remain here are under extreme pressure to compete with cheap foreign labor and still produce an affordable product.
    Will the last American company leaving for China please turn off the lights?

28. Ob1

Ob1

Just bought American made shoes today.

$154 per pair, plus tax.

29. assembled in america with foreign parts isn't that bad, my dad was. i'm always looking for american made stuff... it is hard. question; how come we can get all kinds of crap from communist china yet we can't get cuban cigars?

30. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks everybody for the help!! Sounds like the paint shop guy could be correct about the Dupont. I'll be stopping in there in the next week to check the labels, lol.

Little known fact about Kirby's...you can negotiate prices with the salesmen(women) just like a car. Never pay retail for a Kirby, lolz. Electronics are tough to buy American. Shoes, tough as well, but Danner and Redwing are still made here. I like vintage Levis from the thrift stores. Secondhand stuff in locally owned shops (or craigslist) if you're not too good for that is a decent way to not give your money directly to other countries if you've got no choice but foreign goods. But you're right, its not as easy to buy American as it used to be.

And to be totally honest, I don't buy as much American as I could. I readily make exceptions for Glocks and Ak's without reservations. But I'm trying to do better. Hence, this thread.

SpecialEd sent me this link...
    http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/index.shtml