Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you know Radio Shack sells hot rod parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Jan 22, 2011.

1. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

I bought many things from radio shack
    almost all sales peolpe that work there dont have a clue what they have
    or can get for you

Unless you want a RC car or Cell Phone

Paul Jug

2. Sunshine14

Sunshine14

Don't now if you have them in your neck of the woods but out here Frys is a good source for lights and electronics on the cheep

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I might have to look into a pair of those for my OT daily, every time my dad drives it, he leaves the signal on for about a mile after a turn.

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

if you have the patience to do it right I'm sure they'll work , I'm just a hack so I like to get lights with the thickest, easiest to work with insulated wire I can.

Delcity.net has great wiring stuff, their quality is excellent.

Yeah radio shack is a mystery as to how that place stays in business. Always has been.

I've bought a few portable radios there and some batteries lately, mainly becuase I want to go in and see capacitors and wire and breadboards and stuff all over. Unfortunately I don't.

I've seen cell phone stores, I've seen battery stores, and both stay open. I guess radio shack's business model has morphed into cell phones, batteries, and RC cars?!?

The rest of the stuff in there just seem like filler for those items.

Hey at least it gives people jobs, somebody has to work the register.

I know they'e have to raise prices if salespeople were experienced, but it still chaps my hide none the less. I think I'm getting old and crotchety :D

EDIT: yeah actually come think of it when I needed resistor for my charging light fry's had a great selection and I don't recall them being too expensive.

They seem to have the stuff that I recall radio shack having had 30 years ago.

Trivia: anybody remember when autozone was called autoshack? radio shack sued them and they had to change the name.

guess it paid off, cuz I get emails now from 'the shack' and I guess there's no confusion of who it is! go figure

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Here is AZ Fry's is a supermarket. Threw me off the first few times....

6. Slonaker

Slonaker

Hot rod parts? I knew that! :)

My coupe, built by my dad in the 80s, had those for the flashers until recently. Believe me, there's still a lot of Radio Shack stuff in that car. His bright yellow coupe was his daily driver, and sat outside the Radio Shack in Universal City, TX every day for about 10 years. I still occasionally get asked "Is that Steve's car?"

Dad was a Radio Shack manager from the 70s and 80s, back when they paid a decent wage and hired people like my dad who had previously worked with electronics for 20 years in the Air Force. He could tell you where every little part was, what it cost, what it was for AND if it was the one you needed...

In the few years before he died, it became what it is now. He was almost ashamed to work there. :(

Slonaker

7. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I used a lot of stuff from the 'Shack to built the simple wiring harness for my first roadster including this momentary button ($3.49).

I have one button for the starter, and one button for the horn (both are hidden under the dash).

Attached Files:

8. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Like some of you I have been buying pieces parts from Radio Shack for a few decades.. for me since the mid 70's.

Remember when the people that worked there were electronics nerds and could help with about anything from a CB microphone to building a HAM radio?

A few weeks back I was at the local Radio Shack. The (2) gals there asked if I needed help, I asked for Safety Toggle Switches. They didn't have a clue.

9. edweird

edweird

thank you. thats some valuable information right there.

10. LED's are available at AZ. About the same sz. I used them They snap in the hole u drill.. If I had to do over I would have gone to a smaller sz. They do make 1/8" . In diff colors.

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yep, I've been buying those since the 70's

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Drew, right? I've caught some of your Falcon build on Facebook -- looking good!!

Malcolm

13. ~~Walts37~~

~~Walts37~~
    from Missouri

I am 75 & very hard of hearing My turn signals do not self cancel themselves so I went to Radio Shack Vintage Ford & Hotrod Parts store & bought a 12v dc beeper, hooked it up to my flasher & mounted it in the headliner just above the driver side door as a reminder to turn the darn turn signals off. Works great for me I think it was also about $3.00 ~~Walts37~~

14. check industrial supply for lites from large machines like injection molding or like that many sizes and colors .. grainger ?

i found some inch round red with chrome bezel that when used with 39 ford tail lamps .. narrow point down .. will make them look like exclamation points

! [plate] !

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011