Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wire wheel ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sideways_403, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Hey guys.

I found this wheel under a platform in an old shed on the farm, does anyone know what it's off? It's a 5x5 stud pattern, I'l get some other measurements tomorrow.

I've done a whole bunch of googling and haven't found anything similar.

What do you reckon, original tyres? :rolleyes: They're solid as a rock! I'l go back up there tomorrow and see if there's another one under there, I really hope there is!

Thanks

Hayden

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. So no one knows then? Not even off a Henway? :p

Thanks

Hayden

3. Every Henway I have seen has had bent spoke wires or disc wheels on them.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

nah..those aint off a henway..those are from a dickfor

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the small center hole and the bar across the hub they may have been some sort of trailer or equipment wheels.

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

You could probably rule out it being a Ford, it certainly doesn't look like one to me. Must be late 20's/early 30's Something. What's it, 18"?

7. barry wny

barry wny

I have 5 on 5" 18" I guess are chevvie, but they are welded spoke like all the Fords I have. Being screw type spokes is a whole different animal, and the bar across the hubcap hole? Tread is Kelley Springfield I think

8. noboD

noboD

Looks like a Budd wire wheel, probably Chrysler product. Chevrolet should be 6 lug, I think.

9. Thanks for your input guys!

It could be off a trailer but it's been painted at least 4, maybe 5 times which makes me think they were off a car?

It certainly isn't Ford (well that narrows it down to 18000 other kinds), or anything else I can find. They are 18" x 5".

The bar across the hub cap hole is intriguing, it's got a bend in it and a very purposeful looking hole in the middle (as can be seen in the attached pictures). I was thinking it was a way of mounting a spare wheel maybe?

I haven't checked out Budd wheels yet, haven't thought of those, thanks!

I took some measurements, the little hole in the middle of the stud pattern is 60mm (2.3") and the hole where you would expect to mount the hub cap is 6".

Thanks

Hayden

10. Sorry, I forgot to attach the pics. :eek:

Thanks

Hayden

Attached Files:

11. Could be a trailer wheel or possibly European- I don't recognize the bar across the hub opening (but it's a neat idea).

Doug, you are correct- Chevrolet is 6 lug.

12. So, having a bit of a think about what kind of old cars have died for the farm, it's usually Austins or Internationals. A google of "Austin wire wheel" got me this, it's not quite the same (for starters it's 16") but it looks basically like a light duty version of mine. Interesting.

[​IMG]

Thanks

Hayden

13. Yep, British something or other, how about Vauxhall.

14. Looks very similar to an Austin 10 wheel, I'm yet to find a picture of one without hubcaps though.

Thanks

Hayden

15. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Yep.... and besides, all gennie Henway
    factory wire wheels were really only
    'pseudo-wire wheels'. The so-called
    "wire" spokes were actually chiseled by
    hand from flame-broiled Unobtainium
    billets and were bonded to 'Knotty-Pine
    veneer-covered
    ' wooden rims, molded
    from wood chips, using a proprietary
    mixture of 'Crazy Glue' and imported,
    free-range 'Winged Sabre-Tusked
    Chupacabra
    ' saliva!!! :eek::eek::D

Mart3406 ("Official Henway Motors
    Corporate Historian and Archivist"
    ):D

==============================

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  16. I found the other wheel (and a few Ford and Plymouth artillery wheels! :cool:). It looks like I've got some front wheels for my prewar build!

Thanks

Hayden

Hnstray likes this.
  17. bgaro

bgaro

nope, still think its a henway

18. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

Hi Joe here from Western Australia , not sure how old this thread is but i think your wire wheel is about 1932/33 Vauxhall , the bar across the front is for the hub cap retention . Yes very much like a Austin 10 . Good luck with your project

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@turbodiesel ....... ten years and counting. But no matter, information is information. That’s the substance of libraries and reference works. Thanks for your contribution.

Ray