Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bluesky, flim flam, and hokum: can an honest guy make a living in automotive?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm sure there are crookeder industries, but automotive repair has got to be right up there.

Anybody gotten a kickback from a body shop, or been cheated by their substandard work? custom shop? machine shop? sold unneeded service at a brake shop? oil change place? muffler shop? repair shop? alignment shop?

Unscrupulous people can make a *ton* of money in automotive repair, because so much of it, (like repairs of most anything that breaks that I can think of, actually) goes un-verified by the client. The fox is in charge of the hen house.

So my question is, honest shop owners, how do you stay in business while these other guys are raking in the dough?!? A place that does questionable repairs and earns lots of money can afford to advertise, have a great waiting area, good looking sign and building, the uniforms, all the appearance stuff.

It just seems like a crook's game and an honest guy doesn't stand a chance.

I actually have a shop I've taken my late models to for the last ten years that's great, and I don't know how they can keep the doors open.

What am I missing?!?

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've left jobs because the boss wanted stuff sold that wasn't needed. A lot of us stay in business thanks to high moral standards and careful selection of which customers we choose to retain.
    I've owned my own shop before, and occasionally have had to "fire" a customer.
    Honest guys stand a chance, no one said it was easy.

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've had the same mechanic for over ten years now (not a long time but considering I was/am military this is the longest I've been in an area for a long time) They're awesome, honest as the day is long and will go outta their way to help their customers out (read bailed my wife outta a jam when a shitty lemon left her stranded....shop owner gave her his car to drive while they fixed our hunk of shit all while I was on deployment) Many times over they coulda taken advantage of us when I was deployed and the wifie was left holding the broke assed car....they never once did....hell I live in the next town over now and if my daily that I can't work on craps out, the car gets taken there....even though it's an hour outta my way.

That and I tell anyone I'm talking too about auto shops to take their car there....I know for a fact I've pushed alot of business their way...they deserve it though, great mechanics and now excelent friends....

4. Integrity and honesty will keep any business afloat provided that the service/product is top notch.

you can keep ripping off one time customers, or treat someone right just once and earn a customer for life.

We opened the doors the same week that statistically the recession started. we've stayed open and thriving while at least 15 other shops have closed the doors. we have a lot full of cars while other shops are twiddling their thumbs.

you don't have to be a crook to be a good salesperson and sell valid repairs.

i for one will not perform unnecessary work or charge for work i don't do. for that reason, my customers are all the advertisement i need.

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You sir, have more integrity than most!

I see what you're saying, most of those places I mentioned aren't the type that you go to more than once.

Unless a guy wrecks up cars or need alignments a bunch, in which case you better learn how to drive better or do it yourself! ;)

Still, you can get enough repeat customers just mechaniching?

6. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

I worked in a Linc/Merc dealer for 30 years. I was the least favorite of management because I didn't try to upsell unneeded services or parts. I was usually at the bottom of the commission list each month too. It takes more time to do a proper diagnosis than to try the shotgun approach and replace everything related to the problem. Yes, it wasnt always easy but I report to a higher authority than just my boss or management. Now that I'm out of the business (due to a bad back) I refer my friends and people looking for a good tech to a couple of shops I know that are of like mind.

7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Dishonesty will sooner if not later catch up with them. Remember the old saying " The shitty taste of a job gone bad... lingers a hell of a lot longer than the sweet taste of a cheap one" or something to that effect.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I worked for Dr.Jeckyl...This guy was sweet as molasses to all his customers and vendors alike...the second the door was closed it was always about how much money he could take them for yet they always came back for more. I couldnt stand his business practices so I left. I can only hope to have a decent clientel that will keep my doors open.

9. Matt Jones

Matt Jones

You really do have to pick your customers. You can't bend over backwards for everyone because alot of the time you will get taken advantage of. Its a matter of making a quick judgement of a customer when they come in the door. Not always gunna be right but you learn to pick most of em after a while.

Having said that there is no reason not to be fair an honest with everyone from that you learn how to deal with different customers and who you can trust. Sometimes its frusstrating to be the honest guy and still be accused of ripping someone off just because they 'think' you have, ususally because some else has taken them for a ride before...

I guess I'm saying it's a two way street, but yes it is an industry where you can rip people off quite easily if thats what you want to do.

10. burnout2614

burnout2614

I go behind a LOT of "attempts to repair" from other shops etc. I could rip customers but I don't. I want them to come back! I try to give a little extra on every job such as gauging the tires. It makes me angry to hear of a shop ripping someone off. However, I still won't bad mouth other shops. peace

11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Word of mouth is the best advertisement and that works both ways, for good shops and for rip off shops.

12. Im a tech in a ford dealer in a small town, Alot of the customers know me, and I see them at the grocery and around town. I cant afford to be dishonest, I have no issues with customers checking out my work and seeing where their money goes. Just like the other guys say, word of mouth is priceless, my take on it. BTW I had my best year last year, alot of people are fixing instead of buying new cars.

Brad

13. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

My wife and I have owned a small full service gas and repair shop for six years now. It has been the most rewarding and stressful endeavor I have ever taken on. The shop has been there forever and many of our customers worked there as their first job. We still have the driveway bell on our full service gas pumps. You know, "ding ding" we come out fill er' up, check all the fluids, tire pressures,clean the windows etc. It's very personable and we know all our customers by name. Lots of old ladies that have been coming there forever that say they never learned how to fill up a car with gas, "my husband always took care of it ". I enjoy the personal relationships with our customers. It's very much like family.
    We have three service bays with three mechanics, including myself. I don't want it any bigger than that. We have a great crew and they are also our close friends. I just tell the customers the truth and look at each car as if I had to pay for the repairs myself. "What would I do if it was my car, my wifes car, of my grandmas car?" It just feels good to have people sincerely say, "Thank you! ",after forking over their hard earned cash.
    I guess I'm just trying to say just be honest and put yourself in the other persons shoes. You never know when that good karma will come back to you!
    Sorry for the long post. I hope it makes sense.
    Oh, and to answer your question- I consider myself honest and our business makes just enough money to keep us going. But none-the-less, I don't think I'd want it any other way.

14. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

I second that sometimes its as much about having good customers as it is being honest and doing good work. If you have good customers and do good work they don't mind paying you for the work you do. My old boss was very good at feeling out customers. He takes good care of them and he has a thriving business(week and a half wait for an oil change most of the time)even with the slow economy.

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Honesty IS the best policy,
    I am reminded of the Alan Jackson song, Home
    "My daddy skinned his knuckles on the cars that he repaired
    He never earned much money but he gave us all he had
    He never made the front page but he did the best he could
    And folks drove their cars from miles around to let him look underneath the hood "

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

If I can find one good Ford service place here, I will be a customer for life, I do my own repairs but I need parts, the arrogant pricks at the stealership here, actually told me, without looking, we don't carry old parts at all, why not buy a new one instead and get rid of that piece of junk? it's a 90 towncar not a piece of junk, and it's in pretty nice shape for it's age

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's a better one, Alan Jacksons the talking repair blues, song is just what this thread is about, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2IaQ7ECUY

18. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I have lost 4 jobs since I moved here to chattanooga,3-4 yrs ago, 1st I quit after the collision shop I was working for not even two weeks, got raided by swat looking for the owners/daughters meth cook boyfreind, job #2 (hot rod shop) for not doing crappy assbackwards work my boss wanted me to do,#3 another crap hole body shop,drug dealing boss who stole a semi trailer from my father, and tried to divert attention by giving me a job, and job #4 (high pace collision shop)oddly ,ended today, because, yet again I refuse to cut corners, for the shop and for those damn insurance companies. not to mention some of the companies I worked for groing up in the Syracuse,NY area.. I can't believe how some of these dumb ass, incompetent, dishonest shop owners even make a profit......blow's my mind

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

As a known car guy in a small town, people always approach me when they have issue with their car. Though I'm personally not going to fix their car, I'll happily provide some insight if I can and direct them to a mechanic and shop I've used a couple times in town. They are a small shop at the end of a dead-end street, but the head mechanic there is as thorough as can be, almost academic in nature, fairly priced, and very honest. When he makes a diagnosis, you can bet that's the issue. I tell everyone I talk to to use him, and I wish his business well. Bill's Ineffable Auto Rehabilitation on Amboy Ave. in Metuchen, NJ. The tech's name is Justin. Great guy, great shop.

I also tell everyone not to use this other shithead here in town. Years ago my 88 Acura was running poorly. Out of the goodness of her heart, mom took the car to him while I was away at college to get fixed for me. It had a bad set of spark plug wires, which he charged her $390(!) to install. When she told me, I damn near lost it. I went back to the shop and gave that asshole a piece of my mind. I told everyone that story about how he ripped off a woman who just didn't know because he could. A year ago he went out of business and got into a bad motorcyle accident. I'd never wish physical harm on someone, but karma is a real bitch. B & W Auto on Amboy Ave. in Metuchen, NJ. Stay away.

20. Exactly, I've left shops for unethical practices, I've purposely worked at smaller mom/pop shops because the gave the customer a fair shake. Sadly this area is over saturated and coupon crazy, very little people are interested in quality work. I despised going to the ASE testing to recert with most of the "techs" telling stories about their new boat and how much they soaked a customer for.....no wonder there is always a dateline or some under cover news story on us. I worked on old cars at night, regular during the day and built up a decent clientele that followed me from shop to shop (the contingency for me working at a shop was my old car customers were welcome there too). It dwindled down over the years from the customers selling off their old cars, me not having the hot rod shop name, my bad business practice of my customers becoming my friends and not charging them (mind you this was just regular repair, light fab and upgrades). I was tired, but I did have fun working on and driving all the different cars that I would never have the funds to buy myself. I gave up, now I work at a local water district on their vehicles/equipment, I still have 1 customer and my own cars......but I still miss the late night repairs and service stations (super rare around here) :D.

but to answer the post question after my ramblings,

Yes you can, but it takes word of mouth, super dedication, lots of patience, good business sense and a thick skin.

21. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Wow. My grandfather had a shop on Amboy Ave.... In the early 20's.

I've been helping an Audi master guild guy occcasionally as he starts his german car repair business. (I do the old front engine porsches that seem to be crawling from under rocks these days and look it).

His dealership stories are scary and he left due to hard selling of things like flushes prior to warranty work. 5 different flushes, and you get credit for selling a "royal" flush. Scam.

He's basing this business on open/honest dealing. Selecting customers, as mentioned, is key. Also, he's struggling with what to say to customers --- they want brake pads, but they've got broken CV boots, car is throwing 6 codes, bubble on the sidwall --- they just want pads. WTF.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  22. i don't trust mechanics. that's why i became one.:D

23. Greezeball

Greezeball

A friend has a one man shop. He's honnest to a fault, reasonable and open 4 pm til midnight or later. He's always got a 2 week waiting list to get an appointment. He's not gettin rich but he's doin alright.

24. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

I do the best possible work for the best possible price, and sometimes i dont make alot. I know i'll never get rich that way, but thats not what it's about for me. I enjoy what i do, i love the people i meet. As long as the bills are payed and my family has food, and maybe alittle left over for my own cars, I'm happy.