Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Borgward Isabella TS coupe, what should I know about this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Classicdodges, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Classicdodges

Classicdodges
    from .

I found one for sale and I don't know too much info on one, so what is the rareity of one and how hard is it to find parts for this kind of car that they only made for 7 years?

Thanks,
    Brandyn.

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

I knew a guy who had about 4 or 5 of them.

But he passed away and his collection was sold off.

( apart from some '50s Nash's there wasn't much I was interested in.)

The Borgies went back to Germany...

3. Ask Moriarity... I think the Dream Rod uses glass from one.

4. Choptop

Choptop

you can find some info from the Arcane Auto Society (they have a yahoo groups page). There are a couple people in the group that know the marque pretty well, and if they dont have the info you need they can point you in the right direction.

I think Nads was looking for one of these... so if you dont want it, you might let him know about it.

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep, the back glass, upside down....

6. Choptop

Choptop

7. Classicdodges

Classicdodges
    from .

I think I might stay with this find because it is such a interesting car and I havent seen one before.

8. I believe it was GM who sold them as some GM dealerships in the 50s-60s. including a dealership in Oregon. My central Oregon neighbor in high school had an Isebella coupe parked out in their driveway...didn't run so my buddy snagged the bucket seats for his 40 chevy sedan.
    I own the Isabella's little brother, the Lloyd, made by Borgward. Mine's a 57 tudor sedan. They were front-drive, air cooled short-stroke engined cars.
    Isabellas were a more conventional design.

Attached Files:

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Whole car is assembled with screws.Thousands of them.
    Ok...maybe hundreds.I know a guy here in Minnesota with a few Isabellas
    and have seen them inside and out.If it's a rust belt car take a long look
    around the entire car and see if those screws show signs of rust.

10. Classicdodges

Classicdodges
    from .

Parts where us this guy located in minnesota so maybe I could ask him about the car and what I have to know about and how hard it is to find parts?

11. Classicdodges

Classicdodges
    from .

Here is pictures of the car.

Attached Files:

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

For some reason they're big here in South Africa. For the numbers they were made in they're one of the most popular classics here. They have a reputation of having been put together really well; seem to have been a lot of car for the money in their day.

13. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

Parts will be very, very hard to find in this country. Might be some in Germany.

14. There were a lot of sedans in the Wasington Valley (Oregon) when I was in High School. I drove one once it was a thrill???:confused::confused::confused:

I personally wouldn't bother with one if you gave it to me but to each his own I guess.

15. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I had one , the same color even, was going to do it had it running and everything. I went to price parts I was going to need like wheel cylinders and marker lens and other items. I found they were available and plentiful in germany. I got all excited the parts weren't that expensive ....until I priced the shipping ,,,,whoa!!!!! I rethought it and sold the car to a well to do vintage grandprixer........I just wasn't that in love with it I guess. I used the cash on another project.

16. Scarce in the US; I've seen exactly one, and it was in an old junkyard. Probably still there, but this being NY, it would probably break in two if you moved it.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend that is currently transplanting a complete Mazda Miata drive line into one of these. It should be pretty cool considering all the race car stuff available for the Miatas He has 2 cars also for spare parts. His is the first one that I've seen (that I can recall):D

18. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

As I understand, most guys over here look to Eastern Europe for parts for these kind of cars. Maybe Bluto would know of something? The former Eastern Bloc didn't have quite the turnover on cars as the West, so they still have some old stuff in storage.

I own a 1936 Hansa, which is also a Borgward/Lloyd product. And it's put together with a surprisingly large amount of screws...

19. buy it.....
    hoof out the drive train and (as I was gona say but got beat to it) Mazda Miata drivetrain transplant.....even stuff in the seats... shave off the chrome (if its shit or missing parts) fabricate some rear lights and front indicators....would make a real nice little cruiser

20. I know a guy who has a coupe as well as a whole bunch of sedans, all unrestored and I don't think you could restore the sedans, his coupe is original but nice enough to be able to hop in and go get a road worthy certificate.

Nice cars, at first they seem really rare but when you look you'l find tons of clubs, cars and parts.

I love the Lloyd Rocky!

Thanks

Hayden

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

go for it, put modern drive train and you will have a cool rod no one else has

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have several tons of engine parts brought with us

There are bearings, pistons, valves stuff like that to fit many brands

23. Grab it if it's solid. Very pretty mild custom material with a difference.

24. That's some good advice - replace the suspension too. You'll then have a cool looking car (sorta like a Karmann Ghia on steriods) and no rare parts issues.

You can probably part out the original running gear on the owners club forum and reduce the cost of your project.

25. Ninja 85

Ninja 85

Im the one that owns the the car and I guess the classic dodge guy dont want it so it is still available for $2500.

26. Vergil

Vergil

Dad had the wagon model, the engine dropped out from the bottom after removing the front suspension but was easier than it sounds.

Vergil

27. swissmike

swissmike

The were considered somewhat of an exclusive car in Europe in the day. The had some pretty nice body lines unlike your average Opel or German Ford. Never saw them much on the roads even 30 plus years ago.
    I like the Miata drivetrain idea!