Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chromed METAL American Mag center caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Jan 24, 2011.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I just picked up an NOS chromed metal American Racing "5 spoke" cap.
    Are they rare?
    When were they made?
    As you can see by the pic, they're not much different than the modern plastic ones. Is it worth searching out 3 more to make a set for something other than a set of real (expensive) magnesium wheels?

Attached Files:

2. i have never seen them in metal..are you sure they are not plastic?

also...American changed the screw pattern from the old Torque Thrusts to a slightly bigger pattern when they started making them again. do they fit the old ones or new ones?

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I just had it in my hand, it's definately metal! :)
    The cap on the left is the metal one, the one on the right is plastic.
    Neither have ever been mounted...in fact the metal one still has the flashing from chroming in the holes. Inside is marked "Wells S.F."
    I bought the set of unused plastic ones at a swap just after they started repoping the wheels again. The bolt pattern on those does seem slightly larger. Also, the "ears" have more material around the holes. Inside is marked "Made in Taiwan R.O.C."
    fortelling the future of the company I guess! :)

4. jokerjason

jokerjason

Those are hard to find. I have 2 metal ones but they need some re-chroming, good score. How much did you pay for them?? JOKER JASON.

5. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The early one are smaller than the repopped ones. I need some new stickers
    to put on my early ones. Yes their were metal ones. I just never had any.
    Anybody no where to find the American stickers. I've been looking for awhile.

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Give this guy a shot.
    www.akhwheels.com

I've been going to order a set of his ET Super oval shaped decals for a set of wheels I have. Those are an interesting cap too. I have a set of NOS ones with stickers and an NOS set without stickers. The wheels have ET embossed in them, but unless the stickers are put on all the same way, your logos may be lined up, or on opposite sides of the wheel, or both! The set with decals I have has 1 going the right way, and 3 upside down.