Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 IH how to get er steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mater, Jan 19, 2011.

1. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Having thoughts of putting new steering gear box on any help with this.

2. pool

pool

Mater, Are ya talking about a stock IH box or something else? You might look into a rack and pinion unit since you are converting to a smallblock. Most IH's Ive seen with V8's have steering column/exhaust clearance issues. Pool.

3. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Don't no what I want was wondering if something off newer truck would work with some modifications. I had planned on using old box for a while. Just putting a newer column in with u joints to go around the exhaust manifold. But after taking steering column out to build motor mounts all the bearing fell out. I could just rebuild this steering box but wanted to explore other options before sticking money and energy into a dead horse.

4. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Is the original steering gear crap cause I don't like building or even rebuilding crap.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Mater, you might look into a steering box from a Chevy Astro van. It would be power steering and swing the right way. You could mount it back further so the steering shaft doesn't have to snake around the manifold.

6. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Thank you any year Astro will work? Also what do you mean by mount it back further.

7. wv 39

wv 39

8. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Thanks maybe Ill give those two a shot. You guys are great.:):):)

9. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

i know i could be wrong but isnt the box up front on these trucks. if so maybe you could go with a jeep cross steer setup. if its still in the back the astro setup wont work, but maybe something out a ford truck would

10. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

It is for sure up front

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Why wouldn't an Astro set up work?
    Mater, I'm not sure what years of Astro, maybe they are all the same. I have grabbed a couple, late 90s I believe. Most modern boxes swing the wrong way to mount with the pitman arm down. The Astro is opposite. I am actually using one for cowl steering on my rpu.
    The IH box mounts forward of the axle, making for the steering shaft that has to get past the engine. I was thinking if you mounted it back further, you would have more room for the engine. I'm leaving the steering stock in my IH for now, I think I can squeeze a small block Ford in there.

12. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

I will look into this thing that you recommend about the Astro.

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I got both of mine free just by taking them off vans that were getting crushed.

14. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

If only I still had half the cars i have scrapped myself. I would have my own junk yard.And one very unhappy wife 1st cause she likes the money the scrap world brings us and second cause they would all be in our yard. Just recently scraped out a 79 camaro I thought i had pulled all the parts off of it that I would ever need. Thought about the front sub frame but thought why would I ever need that then this project came falling into my lap now I kinda wish i would of kept that. My old man had a saying for that went O. F. W. I think you can think of the words that go to these abreviations.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  15. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Maybe I go to ewe pull it lot today and look around then again temps low in the negatives this morning .Maybe not . Awe come on sissy stroke suck it up you ninny.

16. Zerk

Zerk

Those are only some of the words I end up saying in that situation. But I guess you can't save everything.

17. R Pope

R Pope

We put a Chrysler Hemi in a pickup like yours in the '60's. We put a '39 IH steering box behind the axle and used the original link to the spindle. The column came up through the floor a ways back from stock, and the wheel was a lot flatter, but it worked good.
    If you want power steering, a box from a 4X4 works the right way.

18. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

R pope which make of 4x4 works? I do want power steering but am not sure of the best way to achieve this.