Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional EFI......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddie's chop shop, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

It is possible depending on the carbs. The injectors with fuel fittings get long and are hard to fit entirely out of view. there is a guy making new fake strombergs with the injectors already built in but they are spendy

2. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Basic mods to any carb would be

Block off idle circuits
    disconnect fuel (obviously)
    I usually gut them to get more cfm by machining out all the crap in the airflow that is no longer needed.
    You can take any vacuum line below the throttle plates and run it to an iac circuit
    plug any extra vacuum leaks

Most people put the tps on the side of the carb or throttle body but I will usually try to mount them to the pedal or somewhere else in the linkage that will be hidden

3. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Nice looking manifold.. did you make it?

4. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Do a search on user "vergil" and "efi" on here for Strombergs converted in this way for a flathead

5. Patdoody

Patdoody

Ive been adapting fuel injection to old mecanicaly injected european cars for a while now, used to use sds, tec-3, now megasquirt is a great option...

I love the idea, I would like to do it to a flatty one day. prob gonna years down the road, the way my project is going.

Honestly maybe it is a generational thing, I am in my late 20's, but I am way more afraid of carburetors than I am tuning a car with efi, specially since the lowend[affordable] setups have fairly high resolution mapping tables now and even autotune to get you started.

6. big creep

big creep

that would be soo badass to just have the scoops peeking out the hood! and when someone ask what you are running? you can tell them an ls1 block, and then you can hear them say no fucken way, then open the hood and seeing the look on their face would be worth it alone!

7. Elmer

Elmer

I worked out the design in ACAD and had John Beck make it for me. He's talented that way, and I'm not. He can make a manifold for anything - usually record setting drag cars.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good question. Why indeed would you waste your time trying to make what is argueably the best pushrod engine built today make more power and have it look appropriate in a 60 year old car? That's dumb...

I'm a big LS engine fan, have them in two of my cars, and the only draw back I can think of is the looks of the manifold and the wiring harness', unless of course one wants to build an elaborate cover to hide all that. I'm not clever enough to do what you've done, but I am clever enough to build the cover up, so that's what I've done!:D I'm considering myself pretty clever to have been able to rework the stock harness in my 6.0 and fitting it all in my tiny Diamond T engine bay, but you're WAY ahead of anything I can do. Yet.

Thanks for showing your work, it's fantastic, and inspiring for me to see that it can be done!

Brian

9. Do you/the customer really think that? It'll still look like a modern engine with a modern sheetmetal manifold and some out of place 2-barrel carbs. Putting the Cadillac valve covers on it doesn't help the matter. Can't polish a turd.

Hey, I love the LS-engines, too. I have one in a '04 GTO and am putting on in a '66 Nova. The one thing I'm not doing, though, it putting some out of place induction system on the thing.

It may very well be GM's best-ever pushrod engine, but that doesn't mean it belongs in a traditionally themed car. Maybe if the intake was a cast aluminum piece that look like it belonged with the Rochesters, it could be made to look like it semi-belongs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. pitman

pitman

Innovation is a worthwhile tradition. ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

I am starting an ls1 into 36 slantback today. Nothing elaborate to make it look different though , not in the budget on this car. I am also in the process of building a 37 for myself that will be a lsx based twin turbo car. Mid engined using a ford gt transaxle. The car will be traditional looking from the outside only. 50's bonneville look. I will be building the complete intake system for it running dual injectors per cylinder. air to air intercoolers and a air to water in the manifold. should be fun

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Eddie's chop shop, very cools set-ups. You mentioned the posibility of running injectors inside the carbs? Would that work on Holley 94's? I am running a 6x2 intake on my FE - 390. I would love to run modern injection. The 6x2 intake for the FE doesn't lend itself well to hiding injectors, but if they could be located in the carbs, that would be sweet!

Mike

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

14. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

You can do it with anything really. Just takes some head scratching depending on the situation.

15. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

16. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I wonder,has anyone done an electronic Nitro deal?
    I know no one sanctions it but be that as it may,,,,,,,,LOL

17. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

So one of my efi conversions is back for some more "power". We are using a paxton keeping it old school. I am machining all the brackets to make it work and then will be making a tube/intake that will blow through the carbs.

Here is the bracket I made to mount the blower. It was a lot of work since I do all my machine work on my bridgeport, no cnc here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come I'll be working on this all this week.

18. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Udate on the hemi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  19. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

The serpentine is the only bummer for me, but it kinda had to be a that way. A jack shaft with multiple belts just wouldn't have cut it for this situation.

20. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

21. encswsm

encswsm

Awesome I love the reliability of EFI and with your style Hidden EFi I can have it on a old school rod Cool

22. I've heard that you should run at least some of your fuel thru the blower case. Those roots superchargers tend to make a fair bit of heat when generating pressure, and the fuel going thru them helps keep them cool so the clearances don't change too much.

At least that's what I've been told. Don't want to put it out there as unimpeachable fact, but you may do well to check with some supercharger guys before running one 'dry'.

-Bill

23. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

That is a real work of art, WOW !!!

24. Read the whole thread again tonight. I have not seen anything on converting an early Roch FI unit, 57 thru 62, 1st series if you will. I'm sure you have considered it for some one, seems like it could be done and still look somewhat traditional. The later ones GM came out with look a little trad but not to us old farts. About what would it cost to do the conversion, I still have 4 units left from yesteryear. Very good Thread, way above my carb and point skills. LOL

25. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Count me in on the early Rochester conversion!

Geoffrey

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the old carbie look however I want power, economy and practicality of EFI so I went the Retrotekspeed route and added EFI 97's on my SBC crossram. :D Fuel here in Australia, like England and Europe is a lot more than what you pay in the USA.:mad: Injector is hidden where fuel bowl is and computer is programmable. My 383 should get up and boogie. :rolleyes: For all intents and purposes it runs Stromberg 97's :)

Attached Files:

27. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Shouldn't "traditional EFI" have a period correct computer in the car? I guess the problem would be having to tow a semi size trailer to hold the computer and generator to power up all those vacuum tubes.:D

28. LabRat

LabRat

Just some pic's , to add fuel to the fire ....

Flatattack street setup ... spotted in Adelaide ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Perth Local's Hemi setup ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. hupster

hupster
    from california

30. hupster

hupster
    from california

somehow the pic's got dropped. I'll try again.

Attached Files: