Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Did You Become A...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Chevy and Amc here...... but i still like my 31 Ford :D

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

my dad was a chevy guy,,,when i was a kid id root for fords, just to rebel. he got me a 73 camaro to drive when i was 16...been a chevy guy ever since.. bought a 65 chevyII ,my first new truck was a 90 chevy 1/2 ,then got a jeep CJ-7 put chevy running gear in it.had a 80 blazer,a 84 chevy 1 ton duelly.then a 98 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy. dad gave me his last old car a 53 ford 2 door sedan..i tried to keep it all ford..but you cant change a tigers spots ,so im putting in a stroked SBC....

3. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

my three older sisters all had BB chevelles 1 auto 2 4spds grew up in those cars chevy stuck all over me GM ONCE I STARTED DRIVING they had left them behind all neee=ding work fixem all drove emall into the ground wished i would have kept each one. 1 66 1 70 1 71

4. Well, as a kid my dad still had his '70 Pontiac Gran Prix (a 4-speed car) in the garage, which he eventually got out and drove again and it became more or less my first car. And we had a '75 LeMans for the family car until 1980. My grandparents had a '76 Catalina sedan, too.

So when I went out to buy my own car for the first time, after dabbling with a VW bug and some other junk I ended up getting a '60 Pontiac, then later '73s and '72s with 455s. My favorite car now is the 1959 Pontiacs, I'm hoping I'll run across a halfway decent 4-door hardtop again one of these days.

The wierd thing is that was about the only time we had all Pontiacs here - the LeMans was a lemon and was traded on an '80 VW Rabbit (which didn't impress me when the $6800 new car we sold at six years old for $600 because on a trip the cat fell apart, overheated the engine and warped the head); the Catalina was traded in on a new '84 LeSabre (eventually handed down to us and I put a lot of miles on); and by the time I turned 16 the first car I actually drove was a '72 Cutlass that was our second car. The Rabbit was replaced with a new '87 Thunderbird (which I later totalled) and my dad's been kind of a closet Ford guy since then; he has a '93 Lincoln Town Car now that he stores in the winter and babies pretty well.

And I've stuck to Chevrolets the last few vehicles, a couple of Suburbans and now a van - can't beat those TBI systems for reliability. Plus the '50 Fleetline here in the garage.

5. Master of None

Master of None

Grew up a GM guy(had a Trans Am in highschool) but lately been playing a lot with Fords. I guess I like to make my life hard at times.LOL

6. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I asked my dad when i was a kid ..why all the top classes in drag racin have engines with the distributor on the right front of the engines . He said those were hemis and I said thats for me . Today I have raced all makes and like them all but have always had my mopars .

7. lorodz

lorodz

im not partial to any brand im a car guy i love all makes and models ....

8. Dad was a ford man. i remember him throwing a rod out the pan of a flathead trying to pass my uncles Hudson. I put the 300hp 352 from my mothers 59 galaxy into a 56 htp with a stick. she got the 292 auto. I became a chev man after a 50 shoebox with a swapped in 283 constantly outran the 352. Actually I like then all I have nailheads Olds pontiacs fords and even a 440 dodge. I dont like Yblocks or W engines or anything made after 72.:cool: Randall

9. harmless

harmless

An AMC guy? We'll my buddy's went to the bank to buy thier Mustang's and Cuda's and I found a AMX for a lot less with out the loan, still have the car 35 years later!! They don't!! Guess I win??

10. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Growing up we had GM cars for the most part. I have always liked GM cars and have had many. All of my performance cars have been GM. I'm not locked into any brand though. I've had Fords over the years and just got a 55 Effie this fall. I buy what I like regrdless of brand.

11. mopar for my hotrods.. but even then if its cool and old i want it. I do mopar's because there engines are bullet proof if built right

12. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I love em all!
    I like Buick for modern cars (60's) because the styling is better than Chevy, I like the motors, and you don't spend three times as much to blend in to the crowd.

For older cars, I don't have any particular maker that I like for bodies but for Engines I like Ford Flatheads and Buick Nailheads. Both cool fun engines.

13. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I like them all also, my fav would be a 34 ford sedan or coupe....but hell I've become a Nash Lafayette guy and didn't even know of them much until I found my coupe.....

14. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Always wanted to build just didn't know what, so I went with the basics Model A and Ford Flathead.

15. My Grandfather owned a Ford dealership so that was an influence. My other Grandfather and Dad were Mopar men at heart but would buy anything American.

My Dad bought me a 66 Fairlane project for my first car when I was about 12, and it was on the road by the time I was 16, so that got me attached to Ford's. But really what made me a Ford man was my Dad buying a hot rod Model A coupe, when I was about 15. Since that day my interest has revolved solely around pre-war Ford hot rods.

16. Cuz it easier to take money from Ford and Dodge guys than Chevy owners!

17. MoPar's are what i grew up with, obsessed with the odd ball engines and the fact that there all bullt proof from the slant six to the hemi. the styling and curves the engineers built into the cars... timeless and some were revolutionary, and the Ramchargers!
    A close second would have to be Ford, why because of their rich racing history, engine development and Lee Iacoca. Lee for two reasons- one a true American Visonary and what he did for Chrysler.

18. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I've had a lot of different cars over the years. I liked most of them for different reasons, but one of my favorites was my Lexus GS300. I'm building a Ford truck. I think my next project car, if I get that far would be a nova or chevelle...so is that vague enough? lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Grew up on chevys, dad had 'em. I had a couple that weren't very impressive in some ways, got pissed and bought a new Ford in 74, kinda been a Ford guy every since but I still like all kinds and have a real soft spot for Olds as I never had a bad one of those.
    Crap, now those dam Internationals have started gravitating into my life, got one and looking at another, next thing you know I will have a fat, greasy haired girlfriend with bad teeth.

20. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I drove a Mopar with a very healthy 440 and it was love at first ride.

21. strapingyunglad

strapingyunglad
    from ga

the truck my grampa gave me is a chevy. he was a chevy man, my dads a cjevy man, so im just keeping the faith.

22. My dad worked for GM for 28 or so years all while I was growing up so that was my influence before I could drive. I started out pretty much all Chevy until I got into Pontiacs in my early 20's. I have branched out some now and have had several Fords in recent years.

23. Smokey2

Smokey2

GOOD QUESTION! ................In Prison, d "Had alot of TIME thinkin' bout that! ALOT............Other guys ha pinups frum Playboy, Hustler, etc., I always had pictres of Tuckers, Chrysler Airflows, Fraziers, AND 'CHOPPED MERCS".
    My Dad always drove Ferds, except for a '47 Chevy Conv., loaded w/accesories! Thought that was much prettier tha tha' 47 Ford Wallerin' tubs! And 1955/1957came 'round........an the F.I. Chevys wood run Faster in 2nd gear, than the Fords did IN HIGH!
    Soooo, what's a guy to DO??? I went to 270 hp Chevy......w/ couple other mods, He,He,
    Then got interestest in Antiques........Soooo, Tha' fords were prettier tha the Chevy's, and were made entirely outta WOOD!.....I then Go w/ 34,36,37, FORDS.........Then Mercs, Then Lincolns!!............
    What was the Question?????/

Smoked UP, In Tha' GREAT SMOKEY MTS.:rolleyes: :cool:

Now? '53 Chevy "Slammed"

24. ecna

ecna

I thought I'd end up a Ford guy as my dad had a '67 Mustang 'vert Gt 390 4-speed when I was in HS... and a '66 prior. He had an accident one day and I thought the car would be mine to fix. One day I came home from school and he had sold the car to the guy at the gas station for like $400. I had a fit. To appease me they gave me my mom's '70 Buick Skylark 'vert and I've been a Buick guy ever since.

25. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I like pre 40 Fords, with SBC in them. Guess that makes me mixed blood.

26. sambo

sambo

Dad had Fords, my hotrod uncle had fords, my first drivable car was a 64 Skylark! Traded it for a Torino GT,drifted to Challenger,Cuda, Dodge 4x4's,now I'm back to Fords.It's just in the blood.Dad was dissapointed when I showed up in my 72 GMC, great truck, just was'nt into it. You asked:p.

27. LBCD

LBCD

My dad owned a 65 Mustang vert painted baby blue with a white top.
    He had it shipped to Ireland and was probably the only guy in the country with a car like that....Ford

The Cortina was my first car to take notice of.

28. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I am and always will be a Ford man. Mainly because of my grandpa...right when I got interested in cars (around age 9) my grandpa was just about to restore his old Ford Pickup, a 1971 F-100 he bought new. After it was finished, I LOVED to ride in that truck..I thought I was a cool cat riding around in it!

The only mopar I like is a 69 Dodge Charger because the Dukes of Hazzard is my favorite TV show.

And the only GM product I like are mid 50's (54-56) Cadillacs, Buicks, and Olds (In that order)

29. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Worked for G.M for 30 years, owned a 58 Jag, 63Corvair,37 chevy, 37 Ford, few Fords, 29 Nash, 30 Buick, 46 Willys, AMC, 61VW, 65 Kaiser , Chrysler, Jeep, GMC, and now a 52 plymouth and I liked them all. I’m an all cars guy.

30. I had the same experience with any MOPAR... I'd build and restore them to perfection and I couldn't give them away!

Never lost a dime on my Fords and GM cars... but lost my ass on Mopars.

Sad thing is many years later watching the Barret Jackson Auctions all the valuable cars were the Mopars I couldn't give away!

when I liked them