Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Two solid days of backbreaking work in the bitter cold...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Jan 23, 2011.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In my younger days, I was got mild frostbite on my feet from insisting on firing a fresh motor outside in a driving snowstorm. Just HAD to hear it.

2. Baizie1999

Baizie1999
    from The Ky

Just plain insane. Love the passion!

3. fitzee

fitzee

Now he is a true hot rodder!! getting the job done no matter what the weather is.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That is hardcore, you must know all about dressing in layers!

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

I wouldnt know what to do if i had a shop or covered area to work in .Im building my AD truck in my back yard ,so i know how it is.I once had to change a transmission in my driveway so i could get to work the next day .It was 30 degrees outside ,rainy ,and muddy.Didnt even have a floor jack.Put the T350 on my chest and bench pressed it onto the dowl pins .Money and luxury will never beat determination and motivation.Sum people have access to a climate controled shop with every tool at their disposal and still dont do shit but dream.Hats off to you man .Truck looks good BTW :)...

6. tinmann

tinmann

As much as I admire your determination..... I think I'd be booting everything out of your small garage, tarping it up and move your project inside. I've lived in the snowbelt long enough to know that you only work outside when there are no other options. Roof and walls plus heat equals way more enjoyment.

But good progress......

7. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

He ain't bullshittin... i was there today and saw the front axle in pieces. Glad you got it on the ground! When you head out to rochester, swing by. Btw your roadster is awesome.
    -jason

8. gonzo

gonzo

Dang that is determination

9. I hate it when you drop a wrench in the snow. Poof its gone till spring!

10. matts37chev

matts37chev

i always tell my son
    no brain, no pain!

but i'm guessing that doesn't apply in this case
    way to keep after it

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Or the only spare ubolt nut you have...:rolleyes:

Plans are: (you guys are gonna love this...:D:p) 350/350, new floors/cowl patches, new wiring harness, power brakes, install the bed, brush paint it, and drive it year round. I'll need a new daily driver soon, I figured it might as well be something fun.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  12. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

A 4X8 sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 inch blue styrofoam on the ground can work wonders.

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

OP, you get a gold star for dedication!

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

fancypants , at least you have a nice driveway to work in , we used to do it in the street :) looks good

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

NO, NO! He changed to a whitewall tire. I have to give him credit for working in that miserable weather as I used to life in Oswego, NY - not too far away. Few things colder than winterized steel.

16. I call BS!!...............Buffalo, NY. That picture had to be taken in May............eheh.

17. daliant

daliant

I'd rather work on frozen ground than soggy wet ground and have cold rainwater dripping on me. The trick to working outside in freezing weather is to put so many layers on that you can hardly move. It sucks when your tools are so cold that they stick to your hands though. I hope your not working on it tonight its a wee bit nippy out there (-3f) stay warm!

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

White wall?? Are you sure that's not snow sticking to the side of the tire from laying down for a moment while he worked on it..? :D:D:D

My garage was about 50-60 today and I wore a light jacket too.. You're a real hot rodder for doing it in the cold like that.

Looks good, man! Having a HAMB-approved daily driver is one of the items I plan on accomplishing in the future. That truck's going to look good next to that roadster too.

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I think they call that a porta-wall, hahaha!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, As I was laying under there coaxing rotten cotter pins out of the shackle studs I thought "This must be my true calling... I can't believe I still actually enjoy this under these conditions!":D I think I'll just keep this thread as a build thread of sorts and add to it as I progress. Anyone have a driver's side running board or a radiator?

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Tbird... that's hardcore!!!!

21. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

I just did a search for Hardcore Rodder and found thunderbirdesq's Hamb profile at the top of the list.

22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Your tougher than I am. I put my project under a tarp in the driveway, till spring.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I spent a good part of the day shoveling all the snow away from my garage and removing all the stuff that was stored outside in front of the doors. That all got buried when we shoveled off the roof last weekend. Not used to having things so neat looking. Working on a car/truck in this weather is real hardcore, are you using the Roadster for parts runs?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  24. I got nothing to compare that to, well done. You warmed up yet?

25. PG

PG

Thank God I'm not the only one out there. About two weeks ago I shoveled off about 1 1/2 feet of snow off of my A and started workin away. This gives me more inspiration to head right back out!

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

OK , I'll say it too - you're hardcore , dude ! Back in the day , I may have done that , but nowadays I'm much too much of a soft-shelled crab to work in that crap . Keep up that energy !

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

Awsome Man .. Nothin can stop determination ..... " or cabin fever"

I found my self one time in the middle of winter , no money , no truck and ALOT of snow.
    I found a fella building a boat and swapped him my coyote rifle and a boat motor for a lifted 79 chevy . It would not fit in my garage and had a blown up motor in it .
    I went over and got my neighbors boom truck and put a motor in it while sitting in a 3 foot deep snowdrift with temps in the teens. Took me 2 days because of having to go inside and warm my hands up , you sure as hell didnt want to drop a bolt.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Geesh I gave up working in the garage on Saturday because it was 40º instead of the usual mid 50's. Now I feel like a real wiener.....especially being from Buffalo and all haha!!!

Great job Andy you crazy motherfucker!

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Laying around on the ground in the ice snow and cold. I did that a long time ago. Got arthritis in my spine hips and shoulders from it. Now I have to go for accupuncture so I can bend over to tie my shoes. I don't think it's wise to lay around in the snow, I advise against it. Someday you will advise against it too. I hope you at least put down some thing to keep the cold from beating on your body.

30. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

looking good andy. i do have an set of extra running boards as well as the other stuff. they are by no means good, but like the other stuff, they are yours if you want them and can use them. take care