Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 440 wagon w/361 -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lentz automotive, Jan 23, 2011.

1. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

whats necessary to put in a 440 ci and 727? any help is appreciated.

2. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

If it already has a 361 a 440 is basically a direct swap. They are both big blocks 440 just as a taller deck than a 361, so motor mounts should be a direct fit.

The exhaust will have to be modified to because of the difference in cylinder head height.

3. 73RR

73RR

...and you already have a 727, except that it is a pushbutton drive...:D
    If you want, or need, to install a later trans then you will be installing a different shifter. Yes, Imperial Services can adapt the late trans to PB drive if you have the funds. If you want/need to change the driveshaft arrangement (trunion) then you must find a 65 model trans since it will be the only year that is a direct swap.

4. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

i was told the early trans wont bolt to 440. told that 361 converter bolts up like early hemi type with no flexplate. would like to keep pb but i'm not real concerned either way about shifter. i have both trans just trying to get enough info before i start.
    thanks for the info.

5. 73RR

73RR

Ahhh, the power of mis-information on the web....

The crankshaft change occurred for the 1963 model year. You are good to go!