Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aurora Racetrack Layouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Anybody remember the little 'real sounds' that some of the cars had ?
    I think I had a yellow malibu ?

Just as a note, all these years later, I'm getting into 1;25 slot drags :D
    With a 57 Chevy, of coarse (Monogram Plum Crazy 57 funny car :cool:)

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. Those things were fun and almost killed the model train hobby for us baby boomers.

4. Deuces

Deuces

5. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

I know what you mean! Remember those little bottles of red oil:cool:

Still have some cars and track...you guys motivate me to get it out again just for kicks. Remember the booklets on hopping up the "pancake motor"?!

Remember when the AFX cars came out when I was a kid and how much faster they were....then started mixing parts and cars:)

6. Deuces

Deuces

Oh yeah! Now days those little 1/4 oz bottles of Aurora gear oil are very expensive... If you could find any!... :(

7. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I got a AFX set for Christmas one year, had a Richard petty car, almost wore it out, then graduated to a slotless track, lots of $$$, years and countless hours offun later I graduated to the real deal. Still have both tracks and all the cars, Yea me!!!

8. budd

budd

i bought a train transformer for mine, that got the cars moving, later i had the track where you could pass, no slot, not sure who made those.

9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother and I had what we calculated was 10 scale miles of track. We had it set up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, four levels of track, ran two transfomers so the cars wouldn't die half way around. About every time you ran you'd spend a half hour getting the track to work. This was when it was held together with those little nylon "u" clips that would stretch or break. I had a '65 Buick with a hopped up pancake motor, sucker would fly. I've still got most of the pieces for the track, loaned the old cars to one of my nephews years ago and never got them back. Now I can't remember which nephew and they all deny any knowledge of the cars.

10. Johnny99

Johnny99

Hey David. Did you grow up in Everett? Did the hobby shop you mention happen to be Larry's Hobbies? I used to race HO stuff in there once a week in the early 70s. Larry started out with one of the fiberglass tub tracks and then upgraded to a real big layout right in the front window of the shop. Still have my cars and the ribbons I won, I was on the "Banzai" race team. Rumor has it the big track still exists somewhere in Everett. Tons of fun. There was a Boeing guy that drove a Pantera in to slot car race with the kids! I have a nice four lane track that needs to be set up permanently, no room:mad:
    John

11. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Wish I had the room to set my track up. I still have a couple good cars in my dsplay cases. Includes the prerequisite hot rods, along with a Mach 1 and an Atlas 36 Ford coupe.

12. studedudeus

studedudeus

I always liked my Thunderjets, even after A/FX came out, etc. You really had to drive those old things. Still have the 4 I got in the late 60s, plus I've added another 4 more recentely. About 6 years ago, I restored all my cars with NOS parts when a buddy (who I raced with in grade school) turned me back on to them. The stuff is still out there. And with fresh rubber, and new gears, those old T-jets are still a ball to drive.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think that was "TCR" or Total Control Racing and if I remember correctly it was made by Tyco.

14. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

I have a bunch of old thunderjets, magnatraction, G-plus, and a few of the Lifelike and tyco cars. 30 some total that run. I just bought one of the new 4 lane Tomy sets to get more of the nicer track. Fun stuff...

15. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

JC, you are right, it was TCR, pretty cool set up, you could pass, change lanes and it even had a blocker car that was slower and would change lanes. If you went into a corner too fast from the inside lane your car could change lanes and fly off the track. I may have to drag mine out tomorrow and do some "racing".

16. Deuces

Deuces

Ditto on the Tomy track sets.. All your old cars will run on it... They also sell adaptor track pieces so you you could use your old Aurora and A/FX tracks.. Check them out on ebay!! :)

17. Deuces

Deuces

I found some cool deals on ebay for A/FX Tomy track sets... One is the Super Internatiomal 4-lane track with 18 different track layouts... Ebay item #390268002981.. 159.95 + Free shipping!

The other is "The Giant" 2-lane track.. Ebay item #330515437278.. 157.95 + Free shipping!

Both of these track sets come with the Indy style cars.. The Giant comes with a 3-speed transformer so the kids can learn how to handle the cars...

If anyone can find a cheaper price on these sets brand new, please let us know!!

18. Beat me to it, I was going to post up the same link. There's also some great tips on track building too.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Not only that, They show you how to build tables also!.. :)

20. Shamedevil

Shamedevil

Here are a few pics of my layout.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Deuces

Deuces

I can't wait for Tomy or Auto World to come out with single lane track pieces like Aurora used to have... That be neat! :)

22. funny - my brother was just asking about my slot car stuff - yes I said...still have all that stuff and more...buy it when I see it....saved up for the new at the time A/FX to kick the TYCO kids butt - they were REALLY fast when they came out - funny never ran the new A/FX much....will have to dig some of the old stuff out...

23. Deuces

Deuces

Here's some of my A/FX cars... Sorry for the crappy images....

Attached Files:

24. oicu812

oicu812
    from Delavan Wi

My preference is 1/24 scale but the auroras are a blast to drive(magnet cars suck) and i cant have a king in my basement.I used to nail the track to plywood,but after reading up on it you can router your layout into mdf.It is labor intensive but cheap.The wire is from Lowes.It is for tieing rebar together and can be found in the concrete section.Total cost was waaaay under 50bucks.Turning it into a table gets a lot spendier!

IMG01261.jpg

IMG01262.jpg

25. Deuces

Deuces

Nice layout! I might have to try that one next time I put my track up! :) The ol' school A/FX "Magnet" can't be all that bad... They're still pancake cars! :) I see you have a couple in your collection on the wall.. :D

26. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a couple more.....

Attached Files:

27. oicu812

oicu812
    from Delavan Wi

Its all relative to what your racing against!About a third of my collection is magnatraction.When it comes to racing-thunderjet in all its various levels of modification is by far the funnest!I prefer bone stock with the pickups limited(so they don't deslot so easily)Next fav would be tycopro and magnatraction.Then the magnet cars just get more magnetizm as they go up in non funness!I can barely see the wizards go around the track!Admittedly vibrators are too slow to have fun with though.I beleive my oo guage auroras are from around 57?Is any of this crap hamb friendly?Magnatraction was 70's.Shhhhh.

28. Deuces

Deuces

It's all fun stuff..... :D I don't own none of the tyco cars or anything that Wizard puts out... The 4 F-1 style cars I got with the 2 A/FX "Giant" tracks are probably going on ebay 'cause I don't want anything to do with them..... They're just not my style...

29. oicu812

oicu812
    from Delavan Wi

Wow dueces!Youve got some very nice cars there!Id donate a kidney for that blue on chrome elcamino.Seriously.Do you remember these?This was the pinacle of auroras developement with non magnet cars.Absolutely loaded with lead!I only have the one.Id love to have two!

IMG01271.jpg

30. Deuces

Deuces

Sure do! Those are the Super II's with AJ's hubs, a brass pan and the braided pickups with a clear lexan body... :D NICE!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011