Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

AA/sa?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Off-topic a tad, but didn't someone run a Match Bash Nova, mid-'60s, called the Chevy II Much?

Back to topic...

Irritator! Now there's a name a few could use...aptly... Maybe if I build the "lil lady" sumthin' to race...

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is a shot of the Irritator I took at Darlington in 1983.

Attached Files:

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Nice color! Thanks Tom.

Pete

7. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

8. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

See Dean? I's payin' 'tension...:D

9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

10. Cool wagon, notice the different color front clip-lightweight pieces?? ....probably not since it looks like it's still running as a stocker...
    -Dean

11. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I believe there's a strong possibility that it's Ron's wagon. I forwarded the picture to his brother but we haven't connected long enough to discuss it.

12. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

We know that the car was fitted with an aluminum front clip at some point after it left California. When the car reappeared a couple of years ago in the Northwest, it was missing the entire front clip. Also, note the blacked-out area on the doors and compare it to the attached picture.

The class designation "A/SA 2" makes me think that it may have been running in AHRA in it's new home. The more liberal AHRA rules might have made it an A/SA with light-weight parts.

c

Attached Files:

13. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

Since it is back on EBAY anybody know the COX AMX that looks like an SS/AMX raced by the son of the Cox dealership in CT area. Has about ten NED stickers but who knows if they are real?? Guy died in an unrelated auto accident??

Cool car and with the history here thought someone would know it or be interested.

14. Oh! Is that wagon the "Battle Axe" wagon shown in HOT ROD Magazine some time ago??
    -Dean

15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It was "War Axe," but "War Axe" is Ron's old car without a doubt. His brother, Phil and I sat down and went through a couple hundred photos before that article was published and we were convinced that "War Axe" was the old "Reynolds' Auto Supply" car from 1963, later run as "Hi Rank Corp" in 1964.

It was run at the 1966 or '67 Winternationals by a new local owner, Rod Phillips, also of Arcadia, (see the far lane in this picture) but Rod lost that round to the Indiana car. The car's primary value is that is a documented max wedge station wagon, one of a handful that were built and, reportedly, the only one still in existence. It was the winner of Stock Eliminator at the Hot Rod Magazine race in Riverside, California, in 1964 and it was the A/SA U.S. Nationals class winner that year as well.

c

Attached Files:

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

that is a great pict of STORMALONG pete! thks!

[​IMG]

17. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Yep! Lots of nice ones in that album. It's hard to remember every pic that was ever posted on this thread, so I'll try to post the unseen ones. Even with the thread search, it gets difficult. I must say I have at least a couple hundred pics saved to my flash from this thread and the M/P thread. Great stuff!

18. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

19. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

^^^^^^^Clever display... Looks like someone got "rambunctious" and knocked over the trophies. Thanks for posting.

20. Diz

Diz

Hi guys- I just want to let you all know what a blast I've had going through these hundreds of pages! I was really interested in these cars back in the sixties, but I never got hooked up and became active in NHRA class racing. By the time I started stock class racing in the eighties, it seems like all the fun had been drained out of it. I have a stocker now, but going fast is not of interest to anyone now - just reaction times and consistency. I kinda wish I could turn back the clock, buy a new car for under three gees and go racing. When I turned 18 I bought a new '66 Olds 442 for $2950 out the door; I've got a restored '67 Track-Pack 442 in my garage now.

Now to my point: does anyone remember a '66 Olds 442 running in Southern California called "The Broken Drum"? (You can't beat it). Any information on it? I saw it at Lions once forty some odd years ago...

I've enjoyed hearing from all the 442 Olds people - I'd love to hear more! I had no idea Chuck Norton was such a veteran. I'll try to have a chat with him at the next NHRA race. I've got the silver N/SA or SS/PA Mustang (Tim Imhoff).

21. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Yes I do, used to run brackets with us at OCIR and would run class during events/points races, but I remember it as a Super Stock car, not a stocker, maybe maroon or brown in color. Sound right?? Would've been 1969 and early 1970.

22. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Welcome Tim from one of my favorite cities. I played a lot of golf at Elkins Ranch.

23. BadNews

BadNews

Colsey,
    Do you or any N.E.D. guys have any pictures of the "Heros & Villans"
    '56 Chevy junior stocker? I think it was a 150 or a 210 two door sedan,
    brown paint with Cragar wheels. It ran at Englishtown in the late 60's.
    Who owned it originally? A guy named Paul O'Connor in Scotch Plains ended up with it around 1970, I believe.
    Thanks, again for one of the greatest threads!

24. rlpagan

rlpagan

I would guess that shot was between 70 - 72, looks like Vinny Mayer standing there.

25. paulspanel

paulspanel

Place Harris Outwater; Driven by Jim Harris, Homer N.Y. The wagon is the 'Magic Bus' of Bill Russell, Endicott N.Y.- home to Gault Chevrolet. A couple of those pics look like old York.-Paul

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  26. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

Here is one.....Richie Lechner<sp> in the former Bill Flynn driven Harris Auto Sales "Highlander".

[​IMG]

27. I believe Gault Chevrolet was the sponsor of Wally Bell's Super Caesar Camaro.

28. skyrocket

skyrocket
    from minnesota

my uncles 41 willis use to race at amber green back in the day. it use to race in the late 50's to early 60's i think. it raced in the a gas super charged series i was told. i have tried to find pics of this thing forever. it was a 1941 willis with a 394 olds hillborne,it is a steel body car with fiberglass front clip/doors/fenders/trunk. so if somebody knows something about the car that would be sweet:D. and it has raced at union grove also he said.

29. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Do you have any more Bob Harrop pics?

30. Vinnie Mayer

Vinnie Mayer

You are right Bob that picture was from November 29 1970 the last race of the season. I worked the starting line at Englishtown on and off 1970 till 1973.