Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26t Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, May 22, 2008.

1. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Langy,

Did you drill these on a lathe? I can't imagine trying to drill any bolt on my drill press!

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes on a lathe mate, It would be very difficult to keep the hole straight 7 central in a drill press :(

3. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

I need more tools :(

4. daddio211

daddio211

I just need one more tool. His name is Langy. And no Langy, you're not a "tool".

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Some might disagree :D

Cheers for the comment mate.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a MAD MAN! I LOVE IT! Keep going!!! Please!!!

7. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

^^^ That's funny. I want a Langy Tool as well. But I don't think I could afford him. Does Harbor freight carry a Langy? The chineese version's probably called a "WRANGEE". ON SALE NOW! :)

8. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Oh man now you have gone too far! I will have to take that idea, make some and fit them to my hotrod, just to teach you a lesson- you know for your own good. ;):D:D:D.

9. hasty

hasty

Insane.
    Like it.

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

well-------i started out just flipping the pages lookin at the pretty pictures-[1.5 hours ago]--i have to say langy---you have quite a bit of patience ---i wish i had 1/10th of your patience and craftmanship--very nice job---as i am a bodyman and i dont give out credit unless its due---you are one fine artist/craftsman--good luck with the build----ill try to keep up with it

11. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

12. Noland

Noland

this thread just keeps getting cooler and cooler. And I also need some more tools LOTS

13. swimeasy

swimeasy

Just subscribed to this thread.....Great work MAN!!!!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hope you enjoy making them Sparky :)

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I think we are all a little mad dude, thanks for the thumbs up.

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Patience is the key Brian, thanks for the positives.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well my Con-rods finally arrived so dropped them into the machinest so he could finish balancing all the reciprocating parts so should soon be able to button up the short motor [​IMG]

Another thing i wanted to sort was the adapters for the early Cadillac valve covers i'm using, I was going to get them from the states but after waiting an eternity i decided to make my own.
    I decided to make them in 2 parts for a couple of reasons, the first being that the 2 lower holes in the early covers conflict with the original lower holes, the other reason was i needed a little extra rocker clearance as i may go to full roller rockers at a later point so the 2 parts would give me a minimum of 5/8" extra lift.

First i made a plywood template as the early covers are a bit shorter than the 500 covers.

[​IMG]

The local laser cutter first made up a thin sheet to check fitment before cutting the 8mm plate.

[​IMG]

The sheet try out was a little out on some of the holes so the laser cutter modded the drawing slightly and cut 4 plates in 8mm steel.
    The holes were cleaned out with a drill as the laser leaves a small pip where it starts and finishes, then the holes were countersunk to accept 1/4" UNC countersunk socket head screws, the heads are flush with the plate.

[​IMG]

It was here i suddenly realised that the laser cutter had put holes in all 4 pieces as i had asked for 2 to be blank, Not a massive problem as i can weld up the holes that matter and those that don't matter will be covered by the gasket but annoying.
    4.2mm holes were drilled at the clamping points and the top plate drilled out to 5mm and the bottom plate tapped 5mm, the top plate was then countersunk to accept 5mm countersunk socket cap screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job was to mark the 4 stud holes that hold the valve cover, these were drilled and tapped 6mm for studs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the rocker gear was fitted and marked for a notch either end for clearance.

[​IMG]

The plates and heads will be painted the same white as the block so should be barely noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

I love this build!!!

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Me too mate [​IMG]

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Picked up some 3/8" stainless hex bar so made some valve cover hold downs

[​IMG]

22. shoestring

shoestring

Incredible! Your patience and attention to detail is mind blowing. Can't wait to see more.

23. I'm eating it up too. That guy can build. And of course I like his choice of a ride. I'm going to follow his project.
    [​IMG]

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Patience is the key although i don't know how much more i have !!!
    [​IMG]

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Now thats a nice little car you got there Bob [​IMG]

26. willinthe985

willinthe985
    from Houma, La

Been a lurker of the hamb for awhile, but had to register to say that this build is AWESOME! I love it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks glad you like it [​IMG]

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Total insanity......

Diggin' it....

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

30. Why are all the really cool builds going on accross the pond, and my chances of seeing them in person is rather small? Thanks for the comp on my ride.