Register now to get rid of these ads!

putting a camper on an I6 car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

hey guys I have a 63 comet with a 200 I6/250 head, c4 auto, stock rear. I want to put a camper trailer on the back (obviously a pretty small one) just something I can haul around town to Tiki Oasis or car shows, maybe LA, and sleep 2 to 3 people in it, So my question is, would it be too much for my little car? It seems like it would be fine seeing as a trailer on wheels is super light to pull around, but what about wind resistance and stuff, also im running Bias plys on my car, would there be a safety difference? any advice would be great oh and pics too!

Thanks Guys!

-Julio

2. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

heres the car

Attached Files:

3. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

might have to up the stiffness of the rear springs a bit and depending on the gears in the rear you might have to lower them if they are too high. I dont know much about falcons/comets but look into some better brakes, maybe the station wagons had bigger ones that would bolt on or maybe you could find a disc brake kit for the front. The biggest part about towing is making sure the vehicle that is doing the towing cant be thrown around by the trailer and its load, and most of all stopping it.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could probably pull a small tent trailer with it or maybe a Burro or Skamp but I wouldn't get much heavier than that. Even on a small trailer an Eazy lift style hitch with the weight distribution bars will help the handling and control to no end.

5. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I have one of these. Its all aluminum, Sleeps 2, Built in 1947.

Attached Files:

6. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Growing upin the 70s Mom and Dad had a 1966 Chevy with a 250ci and a tree on the tree. They pulled a 12 foot 1957 Shasta trailer. I would hate to guess how many miles was put on the car pulling the trailer on family vacations, all of them on bias ply tires.

7. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

great info guys, so it's not too far fetched of an idea? i think the biggest i would consider is a 14' and thats pushing it, i just really want a cool vintage trailer project, wonder where i'l keep it though haha,

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Around town should be fine with the above recommended upgrades, but pulling a grade on a highway going through a mountain is no fun. Thank god for emergency parking lanes.

9. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

oh dear, no mountains haha, the furthest would probably be LA, if that, its only about an hour and a 1/2 away though so thats all flatland.

10. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

also one last thing, would i be able to lower the camper to fit with my lower rear? that would be cool and maybe just connect some air shocks to travel? any pictures you guys got?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  11. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

12. studhud

studhud

I pull a 16 ft airstream with a 57 pontiac no problems at all. I use air shocks in the back as they are cheap and are obviously adjustable. Just dont tailgate
    Dave Hitch

13. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Hopefully picking up a 68' excel tomorrow! new brakes and everything, im super excited but feel i might be the only 20yr old guy that is fascinated with dragging an old camper on the back of his 63' haha, Im gonna paint it myself (obviously) doing an eggshell white with a coarse metallic gold panel on the side with 60's style starburst and fades, then the inside im gonna get cheap laminate flooring, upholster the seats basic but with a cool mid century fabric and call it a day, sorry if this is a bit O/T but im just so darn gitty!

14. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Watch the movie "the Long Long trailer" see what they used to pull in the old days. Not many people had trucks to pull campers they all used their cars. You will have enough power to pull but maybe a set of air shocks in the rear would help and a sway control/load leveler hitch would do wonders. trailers are a lot of fun and down there you can go and hit up the Spamboree. Bunch of canned hams get together for summer time camping!!!!!!

15. i think it would be okay.. you might need air shocks.. I would recommend an axillary transmission cooler too.

16. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

One of my all-time favorite movies! should be required viewing before buying a trailer. some neat cars in it too.

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Don't forget the brakes. I wouldn't be concerned with the power but more so the stop. Hook up the trailer brakes and watch how you brake (brake fade with drum brakes).

Neal

18. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

awesome thanks guys! I am now the proud owner of a canned ham trailer and began gutting it to remodel the inside, hardwood floors, mid century tiki bar and chairs etc.... il post pics when im done!

19. Dude: guys pull trailers all day long with MOTORCYCLES!!!
    Check it out:
    http://www.bf-specialties.com/
    I cannot believe that a trailer sized for a motorcycle would cause ANY issue being pulled by a car.

Cosmo

20. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

mine's a 12 footer though

21. My buddy used to tow a dual axle steel trailer with a Corvair Rampside with a 10" clutch, mostly with other Corvairs he would drag home on it. If you aren't in hurry, it's fine, but I might throw an trans cooler on it if it's an automatic and buy the best brake shoes you can find.

22. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Had to put this up, just for shits and grins. Uh, this would be how NOT to do it. Don't usually watch top gear, but just happened to channel surf across this episode, and it was pretty damn funny. About 5:00 minutes in it cracked me up, and at 6min, 30 seconds in he gets distracted by a hottie driving by and doesn't see the big rig coming that's about to blow him off the road.
    Click the link. Pretty entertaining.

http://dai.ly/9WBtDt

23. David Chandler

David Chandler

I recall a guy who had a small Scottie travel trailer that he towed with a 65 Mustang, with a 200 I 6. My uncle had something a bit larger and heavier and towed it with his F100 with a 223 I 6. I've towed a jeep with a tow bar with a 4 cyl S10, with no problems doing 55 up over several long steep hills. Brakes, handling, and keeping your unibody from twisting are the main issues to consider. As I recall it people used "load leveler" shocks for towing. They are like a downsized coil over and work well. I think the rear ones added more to the spring rate than the front ones did.

24. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Goggle "Tin Can Tourist" and see what they used to pull trailers around.

25. bruceg

bruceg
    from NWATL

I pull a '66 Apache Eagle popup with my '65 Ramber American with 195.6 OHV, 3 speed manual and drum brakes. Works just fine.

Pictures are here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/bruce.griffis/RamblerAndApacheFirstTimeOut?feat=directlink

You can do just fine with a small tent camper. Mine is about 500-600 pounds. Add camping supplies and food and I'm sure it's still under 1,000 pounds. Car is rated for 1500 pounds, but I'm not too sure about the bumper hitch and drum brakes in todays traffic, so I try to keep it light.

Edit - I should have read through to where you already bought the trailer. Check the trailer's weight. Add to it for whatever you put in the trailer as you build it out (fridge, stove, ...). Maybe take it to a truck scale to weigh it when it's built.

If the brakes on your car are like mine (small 9 1/2" bendix drums, no power brakes) - give plenty of room for stopping. I'd think your trailer will be closer to 1500 pounds - and I'd bet our cars are fairly similar in power and weight. So you should be okay up to 1500 pounds loaded.

You also don't want to go too heavy, so your trailer doesn't push your car around. My car is around 2500 pounds, I'd bet your car is similar in weight. Around 1500 pounds loaded would be about the most you'd want to do with a 60's compact.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011