Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

nothing newer than 1950 ...because nothing has been changed ! just your average shaved and dropped stock 50 merc... but we're talking about kustoms here bro ! :D

2. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Please read my post #142. :)

3. chillywilly

chillywilly

J.B. - thanks for that post 142!!! I stand corrected and now see myself going in a different direction with color choices for my car. I now have read the ENTIRE post again and see if I missed anything else... gee bummer:rolleyes:!!!!

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Quoting from Rik, by way of J.B.'s post #142:

Does anybody have a good lead on what this 1940 pewter color looked like? A picture of a new or old car in this finish, a color chart, or a comparable modern color?

5. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

[​IMG]

More pics, please!!! :D:D:D

6. weez

weez

I remember the one that Bill Hines chopped was pretty close too, he scaled it up from the photo, that was a good one-

7. Its kind of hard to compare the two when one is not a full finished car. The wing windows and side window trim will make the car look finished ,then it will be easier to compare the two.

8. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I agree Jeff, but I think the overall metal on the chop is very close. I dont know if Kent is planning to do the curved side windows or not but Im sure if he does they will look great.

9. I agree ! The car is done right and im sure the window trim will look great .

10. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

If you can, give me a few days on this. I have a chip book that goes back pretty far. It does have it's setbacks, though.

(a.) It's from like 1960 so some of the chips have faded from their original brilliance due to time and lack of care from prior owners.

(b.) It's a thick book so "scanning" is out of the question (I've tried and the colors don't show up well). I'll have to wait on a nice bright and sunny day for pictures.:)

(c.) The adhesive has lost it's "cling" on some of the chips...so those colors are lost to time, or until someone else shows their chips.

Most, if not all, are DUCO.

So yeah, give me a while and I'll post up what I can on what was available up until '52.

EDIT: Do we only want metallics?? For now at least.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  11. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for your kind words, Kevan. I will cut up the rear part of the side opening next winter and will make it slightly less curved. I have been back and forth about curved side windows or not. I have mostly been into doing a heavy leaned "pillar" instead. Like the very nice Nachtfalter Mercury have, but without the actual b-pillar and with roll down windows to make it a real hardtop. Rik did some photoshop for me with this style 5 years ago and I have not got a single inch closer. Too much distraction from other things in life.. :p But soon!!! The car is not at all finished and I hope to finally get the final part of the project done next winter. The engine is out of the car now and will be overhauled and a bit souped up for this summer. My 29/32 roadster need some attention here too...

Jim Bakers/Guymons nice Mercury -47. Too bad with the pinstriping for this era car. Otherwise it's a real cool car.
    [​IMG]

12. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I'm really liking this car. Is there any chance he's a HAMB member. I'd like to ask some questions on the driveline and top that was built.

13. thinkfink

thinkfink

bump...there must be more cars out there

14. Foppa

Foppa

i'm really loving this thread.. awesome inspiration for my -47 oldsmobile coupe..

15. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Finally a sunny day...but the camera still mutes the colors. They look good in person.:( I'll see what I can do about some better shots. In the meantime....

Here are some pics with the flash and that kind of helped. I took a picture of the page before the chips that tells that these are "close matches" to the 44 most popular colors and due to variants, may be a shade off.

Keep clicking the pictures to get them to maximum size and so you can read the text.

I can get colors from '53 which are also colors from '51-'52 but they are in individual sections by make.

Here you go.

Attached Files:

16. You know what, probably not that many. Most folks can't resist skulls and Caddy tail lights.

17. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

...and iron crosses!

18. thinkfink

thinkfink

...well...if i look back 15 years - despite the 59 tail lights - that is what i liked too at the time...
    ...when the cars started turning into teenage 'i'm soooo bad' stereotype cartoons, it just started feeling wrong for me...(and nothing wrong with over the top show cars...i still like to look at e.g. the purple people eater, i just dislike the double R piles of crap made by design dislectics)

Also for me only in the last couple of years doubts about laying frame and colored satin paint grew (i still love the Cole Foster or Choppers cars from 10 years ago, just do not know if this is still what i want for my own car now...)

...but you learn and grow...you spent time here, get the right books and magazines, meet the right people, increase the knowledge and develop yor own taste...

This is why this thread is so great, as I learned something new specifically about this period...

so I think time's on our side...

...and now I try to find more examples to get that thread back on track...enjoy the weekend.

19. wheelsrus

wheelsrus
    from nevada

I'm no Rik Hoving but here's a quickie.

Attached Files:

20. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Wow, that looks great!

21. Why is there a truck in this thread?

22. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Ha ha ha... some folks just... never cease to amaze you... :D:D:D

23. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Oh thats right trucks were never built as customs! I am sorry for my stupidity.

24. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Dear sir.
    If you had shown us a truck built as a period custom from this era and geographic area (California), then it would have been a pleasure for us too see.

25. And putting hubcaps and widewhites on a basically stock truck does not make it a custom.

26. thesupersized

thesupersized

No? Does this make it kustom? ;)

Attached Files:

27. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

What may appear stock isnt!

28. McCoy

McCoy
    from Seatown

Very nice thread J.B. ! Why? I like the ideas that you've lain down in post #1. The builders of the era that you specified would gladly opt for the more powerful motors that came out the year after the period you requested pictures of. To "Hop Up" the car and have it great looking would've been ideal for them. Nobody wants(ed) "All Show & No Go" that I can recall. God bless the day that Jesus made the overhead valve accessible to all.:D

To this very day I have a hard time with billet parts on any car that was built before 1970.

Thank you again for making this thread.
    -Kevin

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

your so right. i was in a car club. one of the guys in just lowered his "1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe." he said its a mild custom. i laughed in his face. he also lowered his "1959 Chevrolet Apache 3100." he said its a 60 pusher truck. i again laughed at him. i use the quotation marks cause he has to say his car and truck that way.

some people out there think just lowering a car or event different hub caps make a custom. to me they don't rely know what mild custom or even full custom means. im sure im an ass, but i already know i am one.

30. Also, stock looking but with 4 wheel independent suspension and a quad cam turbocharged engine doesn't make a custom either. Even if it has white wall tyres. :eek: