Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 64 Comet Build for Sema.....Its build time....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Total Performance, Jan 10, 2011.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

2. mattrod68

mattrod68

/\/\/\/\
    I vote for the rally one butch

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I "think" we met up at SEMA? You gave me your card?

With SEMA, its such a wild ride! I've been lucky enough to have two cars featured on the main floor in the last three years. And I for one will be one of the first to come up and shake your hand and congratulate you for getting your project up to it. But, you really better get shaking the trees, because the clock is ticking.

From my perspective, at least with SEMA, is that a drag style car really seems to tug at the car enthusiasts emotions. Almost everyone relates to them. But with a Trans-Am style road racer, its a bit smaller audience, but with the advent of pro-touring, its gaining alot of steam! A road race inspired Comet, with modern drivetrain, and subtle touches would be off the charts, especially for showcasing new parts and products. SEMA is just that- a showcase for the automotive industry to debut new and exciting merchandise for the aftermarket industry. My altered wheelbase Comet had very few new parts but it was an old car that just looked the part, and was meant to be an inspiration for people to go out and build one of their own.

You have a great opportunity. There are companies out there, that are members of SEMA, that WILL help you with donations of parts. If you want, PM me and I'll explain how to get access to them, if that helps you at all. Like I said, the clock is really ticking. It'll go by WAAAY faster than you expect. It certainly did for me this last time.

Dale Snoke

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. 65COMET

65COMET

There is a street legal,road racer styled 64 Comet out in Santa Clarita,CA.I'm not a big fan of the so-called"G" machines,but if done right and driven hard they can be cool.The Safari and Endurance Comets were Calientes as the Cyclones were not out yet. ROY.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

I just found my Comet Color Chart.The light blue on a Comet is called "Tiffany Blue",although the codes on the chart I have are wrong,it shows mine as Medium Beige Metallic with a Red interior,NOT !!! This is for 65 Comets,not sure if 64s had the same colors. ROY.

6. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Yep, that was me. Thanks for the insight. I'll drop you a PM and it would be great to chat.

7. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Yeah....I think its safe to say that red is probably not on the build calendar. lol Thanks for the info!

8. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Last night I spent the majority if the night going on with the tear down of the car. Im fairly picky about how a car comes apart. I do it by sections and bag EVERYTHING! Nuts bolts clips all of it. I find its easier for me to move to the next step if i'm able to work through a system. So the inside is almost totally done, I'm working my way out to the exterior trim, glass and so on.

I've boxed up and i'm ready to send out the interior trim (pot metal) the plastic dash guage console, the chromed windshield surrounds, and other misc interior parts like wing window frames to my chromer. Im gonna wait until I get the grill, headlight buckets and all the rear trim off the car before I send it out. There are a few pieces that I know are in need of replacement, like the COMET lettering on the side quarters. Shot. So i'll be on the hunt for these parts asap.

While ditching the carpet I found a bit of rust on the rear floor pan ontop of one of the torque boxes. I'm cutting that out and replacing it as we speak. It sits under the rear seat so im not going to make this panel patch focus on pretty, rather on strenght. Its about a 2 foot area that runs under the seat support. It'll take a few hrs to fix. than good as new. Im going to talk to my guys at Precision Auto to come look at the car for paint. Its gonna be time to rock on it soon.

At about 11:30 p.m. last night I was looking at the car and realized that to make this happen I'm going to have to approach the build in a nonconventional build pattern. I'm going to have to do things fast and quality as the time comes so that it'll be done. Rather than strip, fit, mock up, disassemble, paint reassemble. its gonna be balls out and take it as it comes. I'm sure this may cause a few issues, though this is where building quite a few of these cars over the years will come in handy, although each one is a bit different. Keep your fingers crossed. Heres tonights progress......

Attached Files:

• 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      188 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      253 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      223.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      177.4 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      200.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      281.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      214.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. Dan859

Dan859

I've also got to vote for a Boss 302/Boss 347. The nice thing about that engine is that it will work regardless of what direction you take. It does have the T/A heritage with the Mustangs, plus it works well for drag racing. The 64 Comet has always been one of my favorite cars, so I'm really interested in watching this build!
    Mark, thanks for the shoutout! He's doing a great job on my 64!! He doesn't know it yet, but I think he'll be building me something like this for my next one. I've already got the Boss 302 Man O' War block, the Aussie heads and correct intake for it :).
    Good luck with the build!!
    Dan

10. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Funny you should mention that Dan. We have just aquired a 65 Comet, small block, 5 speed T5, Black with black interior. Dave, the Chevy guy hauled it in and we only took a look at it a few weeks ago. It is in pretty dam good shape and mostly new interior. I have no idea what he wants for it ....I think after we finish up on the 3 Chevys now in progress...a 61 Bubble top Impala will get new floors, suspension rebuild, brakes and it's new 348, a 62 Impala is in the process of becoming a "bubble top" with us replacing the top with one off a 61 Buick Invicta...and one more sitting down back that will get the same treatment...after this for Dave we are scheduled to "get the Comet running" and driving as it sits. Will see how it all goes.........We still have our #1 priority project in your 64 Comet..........Will get some pics of the black 65 when the snow frickin' melts........all in all, there are 4 Comets on the lot. Yours, David's , a 2 door sedan and my AWB 65 car. 1 64 Falcon, 2 Fairlanes, a 63 and 64, 1 64 Galaxie, a 64 Merc Marauder and 2 Huppmobiles are in the building down back. We don't count the Chebbys .........must be over 40 sittin' down there...all desirable.

Oh yea...have an XJS Jag for parts...thinking of pulling the front and rear suspension out and tossing the rest. I have not looked to see if it has the engine...could be a nice motor for one of the Hupps...........

Keep duckin' and weavin'

Mark

11. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

That's Ty Baxter.It was built as 60's NASCAR.Big Block Ford and the suspension is a front subframe from ?,just as they did them in the 60's.Sorry I dont have anymore info.
    I believe he ran it down at the salt flats.
    Brandon

12. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thats a great picture! Thanks for that! Here I thought I was original with the name. Oh well, lets bring it back with a vengance.

My feeling at this point is it will not be a straight axle drag car. Firstly there are so many of these, why, because they look so awesome. Case in point is Dales 64 small block car. Pure sweetness! But the point here is to do a bit of old and a bit of new. I'm going to want to put some drag "infuence" into the car though.

After the SEMA show I will want to put some road and show time on this car. For the benifit of the shop as well as the suppliers that supported the build, Power Tour and a couple of the aesome events around the country. Not to mention that I will get a hell of a kick from seeing the country and the tons of cool builds around this great land of ours. The car will need to be VERY road worthy, not just a show ride but a GO ride too.

There is alot of thought going into this build with quite a few great ideas coming from everyone so far. Keep them coming.....

I will be consulting with the painter today. We will be looking at factory colors, as per my fellow HAMBers. some great ideas. Thanks

Stay tuned, more pics to come...soon...

13. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

I met with the guys over at Precision autobody for quite a few hrs pre-weekend. We looked at factory colors for a few hrs. We went from blue to burgundy to the correct shade of Whimbleton White and everything in between. We look all over the internet and saw some great cars and some that just made us ask WHY?

My plan is to get the car in the body shop by next week. I have a bit more dissasembly of the interior and a bit of body work to do before I send it over.

We left it a bit in the air.....good things take time.....

Tonight the interior guys are coming over to talk colors and styles. Again I want an interior that is a nod to the heritage with some of the neatest new stuff.....

I'll let you know.

Thoughts?

14. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

By the way guys here are a few more shots of the interior in its factory form, before I ripped it out.

I threw one in of the factory 260 CI V8 that ran so good you can believe it.

One of the guys that has a shop across the lot was so mad at me about this thing. He said leave it! It runs and looks great! He'll be stolked on the finished product.

I think I drove it around here for a few months before I tore it down, I wanted to get a feel for the car and what I can do to really improve the factory short commings. Brakes, for sure. Yikes

Also is a picture of our dog (child, lol) Daisy. She's 15 and still awesome. She's my comic relief so I thought I would get you in on that.

Take care........The interior guys are here.

15. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Pics didnt go, here they are again...I hope...

Attached Files:

16. jamn47

jamn47

Can't wait for this one! I'm sure it will be a knock out.

17. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Hey guys here is a bit more progress from the week from PSYCLONE.

We finished dissasembly to take her down to the bare interior. I worked on the few patch panels that needed to be done on the inside. I made them as overkill as possible due to there location as as structural torque box and seat support area. They are not a piece of visual beauty though they aren't designed to be that way. That area is needs to be strong and resistant to flex. After the small patches I seam sealed it and fashioned a larger piece to cover the small patches (not pictured) to make it look a bit nicer and spread out the load and torque over the old pitted sheetmetal. Then POR-15'ed it again. Besides, there totally hidden. Not pictured is the interior supports I welded in under the big patch. Then out came the POR 15 to kill the remaining rust.

There is also a good chance that this area will need to be removed later in the build for a few of the rear suspension ideas.

Total Perf-

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      154 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      188 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      253 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      281.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  18. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

And Yes, thats my little lady in the back seat working her buns off at midnight with me....

19. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

After I did the patches I cleaned the floor and applied POR 15 to the remaining parts of the floor and trunk.....Messy.........But I love this stuff;

Total Perf-

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      183.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      220.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      199.1 KB
      Views:
    • 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      318 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  20. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Next is engine and trans removal as well as Exterior trim removal and me doing the rough body work to the outside of the car....You know what im doing all weekend.

Total Perf-

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Maybe if you can get Ford involved, they could help with an engine donation of sorts. This is a new 5.0 engine that they "dressed up." Might look good in a '64 Comet, which by the way is one of my favorite '60s cars. I'll be watching this one!
    Danny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Wow! I like that engine.

23. I saw that coyote engine on an episode of Hot Rod TV. Pretty bad ass.

24. 30trad

30trad

man what a cool build, i will be watching for sure.The car looks just like mine before you started. Mine is really original in the body and will be staying like that.

Attached Files:

25. 65COMET

65COMET

30trad;your 64 looks nice and straight!! That must really be a rare car down there! ROY.

26. I dig the "pro-touring" look. Big, wide wheels/tires on all 4, dropped, pussyfoot suspensions that's generate one "G" and molded, leather covered interior. I'd like to see it done in the 64-65 ford fairlane burgandy or maroon color that was so popular. I'd use a T-56 tranny behind the 427 with a beefed 8.8"IRS from a lincoln MK 8 and front suspension based on something ford with upper and lower A arms...no old ford-style struts. The strut towers will have to be removed or trimmed to fit a 427 anyway, right?

27. 65COMET

65COMET

If your going road racing you better put an all aluminum FE in there!!! In my opinion big wheels and low profile tires are for tuners and escalades!!!!

28. Cshabang

Cshabang

"I made them as big and cobby as possible due to there location as as structural torque box and seat support area. Besides, there totally hidden"

Not to be rude, but WHY would you do it that way, esp in a torque box area\and showcasing your work at SEMA-Maybe its me, but I can never bring myself to do that, and yes, I was in the industry, and am a fabricator

29. 30trad

30trad

It sure is rare down here in nz. there are a couple of others but not many.

30. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thats a sweet car! There's just something special about an original unrestored car. Yours looks great, I love what you added to the car as well. Your right, that was my cars sibling before I tore it down!

Thanks for adding that mset of pics!

Total Perf-