Register now to get rid of these ads!

MD whats going on up here? Work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

I am in the process of moving to Easton MD, I am here with my daily so far, my truck and tools and parts are still back in Florida. Whats going on in the area I need a fix soon! also I am looking for work of any kind so if you know of anything at all please let me know. I have been a boat and yacht captain for over 15 years and have a good background in construction , remodels, management. I am willing to do anything within the law to make money!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Welcome to the mid Atlantic region.
    You might want to join the MD social group and post there.

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Eastern shore ( we use the bay as a dividing line........get used to it ) is a little more laid back than the Baltimore Washington area. With all the boats on the bay, boat captain might be a good place to be as far as employment. There are some pretty cool car events on that side of the bay but I never pay attention simply due to mileage.
    I moved here from Chicago about 30 years ago. Maryland is very left leaning ( say California Lite )and taxed out the wazoo not to mention that DC is right here. But it is beautiful, close to just about everything.
    Do join up with the Maryland HAMBers if for no other reason, just to see who lives close by to you new area.....

John

4. Parts/Swap meet in Cambridge next Sat. just minutes away.

5. captmullette

captmullette

good luck, i know what you mean, im an out of work charter capt here in the panhandle, had to lay myself off, price of gas, oil spill, economy, fishing regulations, what the hell is next...........

6. He'll be a month late to the Showdown, Skidmarks. It's May 21st.:)

7. Welcome to the area....

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There are quite a few of the old style 1 day car shows on the eastern shore. I find myself going across the bridge more than I do staying on this side. There are no shortages of big shows within a 3 Hrs drive. You'll read about them here on the HAMB as they come up.

Everyone that I know on the eastern shore complains about the craftsman over there. They seem to march to their own drummer and time table.

Good luck and I hope to run into you this spring and summer. There are a few clubs in that area they can help you on the show schedule.

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go talk to Dan Zimbelmann over at the Oxford Inn in Oxford. He's pretty well connected in the area. He's not a car guy, more of an outdoorsman, but he might know someone who's got work available.

10. Welcome to Maryland! My wife and I just looked at a house in Easton yesterday! A real handyman special, right on the water. The house needed a total renovation but the !!!3-CAR GARAGE!!! was in excellent condition! Lot's of boatyards right down the road in Oxford, might find work there. I worked at Oxford Boatyard for six years and loved the area. I am now selling yachts in Annapolis, across the bridge. (Chesapeake Bay Bridge) Besides the shows already mentioned, I never miss the "Ocean City Cruisin'" in May. All different kinds of pre-'75 cars cruising the streets for four days, in the carnival-like atmosphere of Ocean City MD. You will need to register your car and make room reservations soon 'cause it fills up fast! Also, Annapolis and Baltimore are always looking for water-taxi captains in the spring and summer.

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

So who all is coming up to Cambridge?

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

My brother lives in Easton and I am from the area. Curious, if no job, why did you pick moving there? There are jobs, but it is close knit area and who you know and connections are more important than interviews, specific qualifications, etc. Obviously there is water stuff, but probably not any better off than where you are leaving for any of that. People are nice. Keep making connections and meeting good people, you will find opportunities. Maybe wait tables at a good local type restaurant where people go, be social and might find a foot in a door to other opportunities. When they can find it, people appreciate honesty, no BS and hard work and if you can convince them of that, you'll get some opportunities.

Not much hot rod stuff, still more into muscle cars and monster trucks. But help make it happen and that might lead to some opportunities too. I might head back for a visit again this summer. Maybe I'll have some free time and can check back with you then.

If you are interested in a freelance sales type job and willing to put some effort into it, my brother might be able to help get you started with something. PM me if wanted and I can give you some details.

13. Where in Cambridge is this swap meet? I would like to get a space if it's not too late and sell some parts!

14. I think it's at Governor's Hall @ Sailwinds Park. It's an AACA function so they may have phone # on their website, can't say for sure.

15. Try here...Ed Nabb (h) 410-228-0758..or..(w) 410-228-5252:)

16. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

If you're willing to commute to DC there are a few openings on my base. I travel a similar distance each day to get there but it balances out with the benefits. PM me if you want details.

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you're going to live in the area, it's not too far from the Delaware border, where your property/income taxes will be less. Do as much shopping as you can in DE too, no sales tax.

18. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Will be in Cambridge early! gonna be a damn cold day so I will be bundled up in a blue n grey jacket, if ya see me be sure to say hello, Im about 6 ft and 270 lbs so I wont be hard to miss!

19. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Holy hell was it cold!

20. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to Maryland in the winter

21. .........I'm getting too old for this kinda cold:eek:

22. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Gotta love being next to the water with that wind whipping off of it!

23. ..So did you buy any interesting goodies? Did you meet any local area HAMBers? Inquiring minds need to know.......Once again, welcome to the area and best of good luck with the job search:)....Don.

24. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

I picked up a few magazines and took out the ones I have already and have those for sale on here currently, 3 days of work in 2 weeks is not conducive! I didnt run into anyone that I was able to ID as a HAMBER:(

25. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

PM sent with job info.