Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You're talking about the "Milk Truck" . Dan Woods originally sprayed it, Then Watson, then Joe Bailon.

2. John Denich

John Denich

Yup your right....

3. lazyv8

lazyv8

cant wait!! i wanna see this thing soooo bad!! always had a soft spot for the ice truck..

4. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

Not only will the Ice Truck be there, but Dan Woods himself! You will get to meet him at the Customs Meet & Greet on Saturday at 3pm in building #9!
    This show just gets better and better!

5. sr

sr
    from Monterey

I check this post everyday, and almost everyday there has been some new incredible addition to the already over the top show. The variety and history in that building is just friggin amazing. I cant wait. Without a doubt this is going to be the BEST presentation of early original historic customs to ever be grouped together in a display. Amazing job. Amazing vision. History in the making.

6. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

The Skylane Motor Special. An elegant custom that simply makes this event worth flying all the way out there. We arrive Tuesday night and will be milling about, watching every car pull in. Again, the best historic custom gathering we have ever heard of ! Counting the days, Rog

7. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Well said, and we agree with every word. THIS event will go down in history. axle and the boys, job well done !

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

We gotta' get put together and cleaned up. We got a party to go to.

Attached Files:

9. [​IMG]
    Im still trying to comprehend that this car will be here in a very short time.

10. Rikster

Rikster

As far as I can tell they are 1959 Chevy units... not Corvair.

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

UPDATE:

Everything is coming together. Decorating decisions / Special surprise banners are in the final stages.

Still trying to get in touch with Jesse Lopez for the "Meet & Greet".

Anyone reading this that will have a car in the History of the Customs building - PLEASE bring all of your sign boards, awards, historic photos, memorabilia, etc. We will be making phone calls to all of you regarding this - but wanted to announce this just in case we can't get in touch.

Thanks, John Buck & Axle

12. John Denich

John Denich

This purple car showed up at my place for the show....I guess its got something todo with this T-Bird???

Attached Files:

13. brad2v

brad2v

John, I just read the feature on your car in TR&K. Cool story, see ya in Pomona.

14. McPhail

McPhail

Mick gave me my answer to the question that I deleted here....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  15. Rikster

Rikster

Yes this 1941 Buick Custom by the Pisano brothers/Barris/Barry Mazza is one of the customs that I look forward looking over for sure as well. I have seen many photos of this car. But from everybody that have seen it in person I have always heard that Photos do not do this car justice...

The car was great when Barris had redone it for Herb Ogden, but I think that Barry Mazza gets the real credit here for brining it back to live, and make it look like a speedboat going 100 miles an hour ... sitting still!

Herb Ogden with his Barris Version of the car. (Cleatus photo collection)

[​IMG]

The lines on the car are fantastic... the level stance low top and no skirts work really good...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When Barry Mazza found the car some really terrible things had been done to it... most of it was an "easy" fix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half way during the restoration Herb Ogden saw his old car again after MANY years... Herb on the left with Barry on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the car almost reached perfection.... only thing that needed to be done was the Cadillac Sombrero hubcaps.

[​IMG]

Perfection!
    KustomBuick photo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only a few more days!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

WOOT in exactly 7 days I will be landing in Cali for the show

17. gonzo

gonzo

Way back on post 17 Axle mentioned the story behind aquiring the Fowler coupe, now its front page news! So cool. Will you elaborate on the story behind your parents buying this car at a yard sale?

[​IMG]

18. dido to that woot!

19. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

We are pleased to announce that Lee Pratt will also be sitting at the Custom Meet and Greet table! Lee is working hard on getting his Shoebox ready, and is looking forward to the show.
    For a complete list of the invited guests, check out post #914

20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Hey, I just spent a day polishing and waxing this car. Sure looks purdy !!

21. speedy's chopped 39

speedy's chopped 39

Hey Axle I am already for the show. I can't wait. See you on Wed.

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

Hope to see you again next week Axle..

23. Hey Alex! I figured that I oughta say Hi here, as you're gonna be real, real busy at the show. Thanks for the effort on this show. See ya there.

24. banditomerc

banditomerc

Can we all say..Axle is the MAN!

25. Troostr

Troostr
    from Artesia NM

stuff 060.JPG

stuff 058.JPG

stuff 057.JPG

stuff 056.JPG

All Prepped and ready to load, Finally!! The roof is a pain! now I remember why I don't mess with the roof too often! Can't wait to get there!!

26. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

27. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

The Raven finally made it to California and is now sitting at the Petersen. Hopefully we will be able to fly out of Boston on Wednesday with another storm rolling in.

Can't wait to get out there and get the car down to Pomona for the show. We are really getting pumped and look forward to seeing all of the unbelievable customs and to meet a bunch of new friends.

Attached Files:

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone know if Herb Ogden is still alive?

29. Troostr

Troostr
    from Artesia NM

Roger, I was really trying to figure out how to get the 2 cars in the enclosed, with no luck. But hey, If you made the right offer I could tow and empty trailer home!:rolleyes:
    I know they aren't totally correct but I polished out the CC's in the event you let me leave them on the car.

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I thought they might be but i figured the car was too small and they looked well proportioned, thats why i shot for corvairs. Well, thanx!!

Troostr dude, is the roof on your Caddy polished bare metal ? if so it looks tits!