Register now to get rid of these ads!

When are the parts going to dry up??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Jan 20, 2011.

1. olskool34

olskool34

It amazes me that I can still find parts, I just picked up a set of BLC lights that a guy had that were taken off a truck that was scrapped long ago. We are starting to approach 50-60-70 years since this stuff was made and I wonder when it will be impossible to find things like this (I know they make the BLC lights new but I'm talking original) laying around. Been having a few beers and was talking with the wife and asked her the same question because she doesn't understand why I stare at the classifieds all day and craigslist, ebay,etc.

2. F&J

F&J

BLC's were put onto older trucks of every make and model to update them to sealed beam, so tons were made, tons were saved, in barns, attics etc. I have no clue why someone would buy repro's as they are so common.

3. Squablow

Squablow

The internet has put a ton of shit into circulation over the past 15 years, so that helps, a lot of stuff that would have otherwise been scrapped or forgotten has found a buyer online.

And as much as high scrap prices hurt the hobby, there is still a lot out there that hasn't been found or used yet. I see a lot of parts and whole complete project cars around for sale and often very cheap, I think we have many years to go before most things become impossible to find.

Most of the stuff that is super rare today was rare when it was new, that's a big part of it. And when demand gets high enough for a particular item, the aftermarket steps in and makes new ones, so I'd say we're safe.

4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

this has always been a curiosity of mine too. of course we will eventually run out of old stock. try to find a '32 ford roadster for instance. the sad state of affairs is really when will the over reaching government finally outlaw old cars. that will probably come first. don't say it can't happen either. all the epa would have to do is appoint a committee to come up with laws to kill every avenue we use to build old cars, registration, insurance, mpg, gasoline or equipment, to just name a few.

5. olskool34

olskool34

I understand that, but I am talking original parts. I have bought tons of aftermarket parts for my A's but nothing fits like an original. I am jsut saying, when do the original parts become so scarce that they are worth 5 times what the aftermarket part is new?

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

the parts will dry up on tuesday 2021

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. big bad john

big bad john

......it might be harder to find....but its out there.....like everything else, people save just about everything........I do a lot of garage sales in the summer time...you would be surprixe how many projects are in barns and garages that people have....been in there...some over forty years......but they never want to sell them....

8. my parts are in the garage and they stay pretty dry

9. I heard it was thursday

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Parts will be around as long as this big money is around ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Some repo stuff isnt that bad ,Usually needs modification ,Some of this old tin is a bitch to weld ,You just blow through it.I like original parts but sometimes the quality of the original Isnt worth it except for bragging rights .

11. troylee

troylee

I used to have 6 sets of blc's keeped the best 2 sets and sold the rest. Lots of horders out there. And when i croak my old lady will sell all my shit in a garage sale, and all my buddys can buy it up for pennys on the dollar. Put it back into circulation. Hey olskool34 you even bought a few goodies when i thinned some stock.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  12. PG

PG

I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Curious about when or if my nephew will have the chance at all this tin.

13. henry29

henry29

Yeah, but what time?

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm in Washington, the parts are never dry.

15. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

parts are way WAY more plentyful to the mainstream now, then they were 20 yrs ago.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yeah, but you forget I'm in Oklahoma... I'm 48 hours ahead of you.

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

dark thirty

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

It won"t happen anytime soon,hell went today picked up a complete 49 8BA flathead with transmission,32 Ford original grill insert,original 24 T frame all within 40 miles from home and passed on other shit that was good deal just didn"t need.All found on local Craigslist.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I hope it happens soon, my garage is too full of cheap good stuff, if the parts supply doesnt dry up fast i'll have no room left

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

People have a tough time grasping how many cars were actually produced. I mean Ford made 15 million Model T's. Most people have a really hard time imagining what 15 million of anything looks like. Even after 80 or 90 years, if only 10% of the original production run survived, that is still a very large number (1.5 million Model T's in this example). True, the original parts supply is dwindling, but as more and more people realize that this stuff is worth saving. The rate that parts disappear is also shrinking.

However, if I am wrong, then I got a case of beer that says it will happen on June 9th, 2069.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

When the last hot rodder rolls off to the great sunset and his old lady calls the scrapper to make his parts stash into a tea set or a snack tray base. No time soon.

22. kenny g

kenny g

Three window Larry you are wrong.The world is coming to an end on
    Monday 2020.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Watch the TV antique and pawn shows. Treasures from the civil war era are still showing up. Stuff will always be out there. Repops will supplant more desireable items as demand dictates.

24. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

well i noticed ever since the rat rod craze you cant find model A to 34 coupes(bodys), or model A frames anymore like you used to. at least not online.

25. olskool34

olskool34

Lots of good answers, I think it might just be me, I have the hardest time finding good original parts. I think one problem I have is living in metro Detroit, not a whole hell of alot around anymore. When you get out into the rural areas, it is better. Northern Michigan still has a ton of stuff laying around but it is 4 yours away and I can't always take off and go up there. Thanks again Troy for helping me thin your stash of parts.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! I had planned to open "Parts Whore" on Friday 2021, T shirts should be ready soon.

27. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I started buying parts 4 years ago for my o.t. 70 AMX and im amazed at how much the AMC parts supply has dried up. what you can find has shot up in price to rediculous levels

28. S.F.

S.F.

the parts will never dry out...cause when all you guys die...My generation will go to all your estate sales...:)

29. To be correct it Aug 2012, the world ends

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The parts are drying up some as I cant find what I did 25 years ago,when I built a 53 Olds back in 85 I could find everything I needed in a few local junkyards and could buy running parts cars for less then a hundred dollars. The internet has opened up new sources of parts but back then I would not have needed it since I could have gotten all I needed within a 50 mile radius of where I live,the old guys that ran the old junkyards have died off and the contents crushed since their heirs did not want to have anything to do with it and the local municipalities have cracked down on what they considered are junk cars sitting in yards so the parts have dried up some.