Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

My mother bought my stepfather a zztop car model kit for fathers day/Bday/xmas can't remember, anyway he had been building model planes etc. since he was a kid and he was a big zztop fan (who isn't?) so she thought he would like it. Well it was one of those snap together models that was already colored and everything so he didn't like it and it was given to me.

He also got a bunch of old models he had in storage that had gotten damaged and I took them out of the trash and made a bunch of "Road Warrior" type cars out of them, good times.:D

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nope Just remember I botched it up.To difficult at that age , IT WAS A DRAGSTER Big scale 2nd one was a trike botched that one up I think the 3rd one I got right ,Best stepping stone for the real deal ,I think all counterguys at these parts places that are under 30 should build one then they might know what a motor is or rear axle is ,Without a computer to tell them.Lol

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I know it was a model t, 1/24 scale,
    got it at disneyland by the autopia when i was 8 or 9,
    built several,
    my best was a 57 amt kit,
    won 2nd place at a 7/11 model show.
    made it black with red interior with that fiberglass fuzzy stuff,
    i wired the engine and battery, and made fuel lines for it.

and I had quite a temper when i was young,
    so that car got slammed against the wall.
    i dont quite remember why..
    got a few to build, but havent taken them out of the box yet

Attached Files:

4. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

My first kits were the aurora demolition demon 55 ford came pre bent on all corners loved that car and the 3in1 49 merc . in my collection my fav would be the original 57 ford t bird and fairlane along with 57 chevy 3in1 kits . and one more the visable renwal chassis.

5. Deuces

Deuces

6. fbama73

fbama73

Yep- I remember going with my Dad in 1975 to one. He had decided that he was going to get me my first model, and was going to let me pick it out. I can still close my eyes and see the way the shelves looked, and smell the pipe smoke and paint.

Oh, I was a stupid 6 year old kid. I picked a '75 Mustang II. Botched it properly, too. Dad got himself a 1/48 scale P-38 kit, did a nice job on it, and it's mostly still intact.

7. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

I remember very well. It was a Richard Petty stock car. I still have it. Dad helped.

8. 9SECONDYENKO

9SECONDYENKO
    from usa

I had some of the newer catalogs they were awsome.

9. Gator

Gator

Had aa Tom Daniels T'Rantula snap-tite - took it apart and put it together so many times the 'snaps' wore out.

Still looking for another...

[​IMG]

10. Deuces

Deuces

I have a rare AMT '57 Belair kit I picked some years back... This one is all stock with like 150+ pcs. The box also has some great vintage art... I gotta dig that one up and take a photo of it....

11. 57peppershaker

57peppershaker

Ok, it wasnt the first, but it had the biggest influence :rolleyes:
    Got me into 57's and lead many years later to the 1;1 scale :D

Oh, and a lot more 57 kits !

Attached Files:

12. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Not sure which was my first, but I did order a 66 Impala model from Auto World in the mid 60s...I remember it came to over $3 with shipping and customs to Canada. I could barely afford it.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Visit www.revell.com and check out the new and up coming releases....

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

My first model car was an AMT 3 in 1 (stock, custom or race) '58 Ford convertable. It cost $1.50. If I remember correctly, AMT only offered four cars that year, all convertables: Ford, Chevrolet, Edsel and Pontiac. The following year they offered the same lineup in both convertable and hardtop. By 1960 Monogram and Revell had joined in the competiton for car model builders dollars. AMT was still king in my book. They offered a 3 in 1 '32 Ford roadster with a Chrysler Hemi and I built my first hot rod. Soon after was the '36 Ford coupe or conv. that was also 3 in 1, but there was 6 posiblities. I had to wait until high school before I got my first '57 Ford hardtop model. It had a full detailed engine with an opening hood to show it off, opening doors and a steerable front end that could be built at either stock height or slammed. Cost; $2.00.

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

cool cant wait,
    I believe that is the one I built for the seven eleven model contest..
    my dad gave me some silver mylar from his job at Northrup that i used
    for the bel-air trim on the sides

16. Deuces

Deuces

I'll try and dig that one out a little later.... That kit is buried in with 300+ other kits I have.. :(

17. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

'300 other kits' !!
    wow

18. RetCop

RetCop
    from New York

It was in the early to mid 1950's, my dad gave me a model kit of a Pegaso.
    A vehicle made in Spain, I believe.

19. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! At least 300... :(

20. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

dang, and i got 3,, lol
    wish i had the ones i built,
    funny,

21. budd

budd

the most fun i had with models was taking old one apart and building my own creations, i had a black 57 chevy with a blown hemi and running gear from a dragster, it had for a driver the little skeleton from "lil coffin" cut apart and sitting in the drivers seat with his arm out the window, my friends and i had boxes of old model parts and we traded all the time.

22. WCD

WCD

This kit served as amy first introduction to the world of modeling. All of 5 maybe as I watched my dad melt the axle as directed by the instructions. My favorite kit was the AMT release of Gas Ronda's 69 Mustang flopper. Russ Davis Ford-his sponsor- was selling the kits inside the dealership. They were stacked up next to the actual funny itself. The kit contained a little 45 disc that featured both an interview of Ronda and a recording from inside the car as he made a run from burnout to finish line. Lots of dry hops, cam loping and gear changing could heard.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used to peel the foil from Wriggley's chewing gum wrappers to get realistic chrome trim. There was enough stickem left that it would adhere to the plastic without any glue. It was way before the commercial stuff for modelers. (I was a Double-mint kid):D

24. RichG

RichG

A neighbor gave me a large scale '32 roadster kit, I had that for quite a while until we moved, I wish I would have kept it.

25. chriseakin

chriseakin

The first one I remember was a model of the Bluenose Schooner and it was way beyond my skill level. I did sort of get it together, but ran out of styrene glue partway through and dug through mom's drawer of stuff until I found a tube of glue meant for mending porcelain. It worked fine, but stunk to high heaven and dried white - on a dark green hull. Looked like the hull had been sitting upside down with giant seagulls dumping on it. I never did any of the detailling the instructions suggested so it never had any rigging (you were supposed to use black thread for it. I think it got blown up with firecrackers eventually too.
    Chris

26. They made a 1/18 scale die cast of the box art... I got one, It's one of my favorites too.

http://www.gomotorbids.com/LotDetai...ion-1-18-The-Old-Pro-1972-Chevy-Nova-SS-Black

My dad built models, so he probably got me something Snap togethers, I know I sent away for the HO scale ones they sold on the backs of cereal boxes... Jag XKE, Mustang, Corvette, and a truck... body, glass, interior, wheels and axles and held together with 2 tiny screws.

I know my first MPC annual was a '71 Grand Prix, I would have been just turning 7. I Know had the MPC 71 Impala, 72 Impala, 73 Caprice 74 Caprice and 75 Caprice... Try buying any one of those on ebay right now...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My first one was the Revell 1/32 32 roadster but they were SO small. Then came the AMT 3n1 32 coupes and roadsters. I think I built a half dozen of those 5W coupes the first year they came out.

RE the post mentioning the Auto World catalogs above, did you guys realize that Roth did the art work for some of Oscar's catalogs? Decals are still available and I put one on my 27, just for fun. Check these links out... Gary

http://www.oscarsautoworld.com/
    http://www.autoworldmobilia.com/

Attached Files:

28. Deuces

Deuces

I got a stack of foils that I saved from the Kit-Kat candy bars... I tried it on a '68 Dart body with bright red paint and a black vinyl top.... Turned out pretty good...

29. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

AMT 3 In 1 1940 Ford Coupe molded in black. That was around 1961 or so, my dad was upset because I had parts leftover! Dad just didn't get it sometimes. :rolleyes:

30. edweird

edweird

mine was the sister to skippers critter. the simple simon thames panel truck.