Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why would someone let this rust away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 weight, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Go over with a buddy, but a 4x4 trough the window, pick it up and run like hell. It's yours.

2. Freeland

Freeland

Well said!

3. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

One thing to remember...IT IS HIS. You are no different than a thief or a punk ass kid if you want to remove it or fuck with it or the guy.
    I have also left and old AD truck out next to the shop for 20 + years. Now in the last 5 years i have every young punk offer to take it off my hands because they have a s-10 chassis for it. Now i didnt mind at first but the lack of respect from the newer ah.........rodders i guess.That SOB will sit there and rot into the ground.
    RESPECT peoples property and dont post it on internet sites.:D
    Lot of good cheap iron out there still but most of us are in no big hurry to further somebodies internet fantasy of a "Barn Find"
    I personal know of more 32 fords in my area that have not seen daylight in 40+ years but i wont bother the owners as i have no use for them.;)

4. Yup! Usually from a guy in his nineties!

5. That's Awesome!

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

7. tuki

tuki

this for real!.ive heard this story a ton of times..its a crime.but true..

8. RichG

RichG

I tried that technique. I decided to followed Doug for a whole week. This was his itinerary:

6:00AM: Make coffee with ultra rare drag racing coffee pot made from rare racing artifacts and signed by (insert name of long past, awe inspirining drag racing legend).

7:00AM: Sit at table found at (insert your favorite drag racing track of yesteryear) and drink coffee with (insert name of favorite drag racer of yesteryear)

8:00AM: Drive aimlessly across the state of California, pulling over and taking pictures of super cool and ultra rare drag racing stuff that seemed to magically appear from thin air for him. As he pulls away you can actually see this stuff disappear from view.

12:00PM: Pull into (insert name of favorite old time drive in), park next to extremely famous and previously thought lost forever uber cool custom or hot rod, more than likely in some way associated with drag racing at (insert name of ...yeah, you get it)

...and this is where I lost all hope of ever figuring out where his cool stash of vintage cars were hidden. I became hopelessly depressed and addicted to call in therapy shows. Dr. Drew has a restraining order against me now because I made him too depressed.:( I've given up on cars entirely and have invested heavily into popsicle sticks and that thick white paste we used to eat as kids.

9. rodl

rodl

I've got a 34 buick just like that - panels & chassis only though! Had it sand blasted and zincoated to help preserve it until THE day comes to get into it!
    RodL

10. rodl

rodl

interested in a 34 buick chassis & panels only - sandblasted, zinc coated ready for steeling out. 4 door tourer - turn into 2 door very easily. $5k Au
    Rod L

11. rodl

rodl

that's the way, smooth tal him - don't smack him in the mouth!!

12. i know of a couple of brothers that live just out of town that have collected everything ever made to go on an a model ford it seems like. they use an a model tractor to work the farm, drive an a model tourer to the supermarket to do the weekly shop an just have piles and piles of parts at the farmbut wont even sell so much as an axle. both brothers would be pushin 90 years old an i havent ever heard of them being married or havin kids swo im always watchin the rural section in the paper, theres gonna be a clearing sale there one day and il be up bright and early (along with every other rodder within a bulls roar).

as for the stealing idea. grow up children. think if it happened to you

13. 50 weight

50 weight

Thats very true, but im not really obsessing over it because he has it, just that its probally not gona make thru too many more of our east coast winters and that seems like a real shame no matter what make and model it would be. I've only asked him acouple times if he wanted to sell, honestly, I think he does get a kick out of turning me down, but I do bug the heck out of him to get it out of the elements at least. I think his response was when I asked him if I could put a tarp over it was " that will just make it rust faster ". I had to break a small tree off that was growing up thru the trunk to get a good pic of it.

14. Sure looks like it.

Its a shame but the world is full of orphans you can't save them all.

15. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

The owner is letting it rust away because he is sick of all of the years of low dollar offers and dreamers bothering him. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

Think about it,a rusted piece of shit and many guys are willing to pay super silly money for it.Then all the complaints about the high prices on rusted pieces of shit.:D

17. RichG

RichG

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make you out to be uncontrollably focused about it, my point was just that any energy or brain time spent thinking about something "unobtainable" could be better spent obtaining something else, if that's what you want. I get it, I really do, it would bother me to see that shell wasting away, but honestly? At the end of the day it's his to do what he see fit to, and if that means letting it rot away then more power to him!

If I was really, REALLY wanting to have that shell, or one like it, I'd approach him and ask if you could take measurements off of it, because you've wanted one all your life, and if you can't get one, at least you can use access to one to make some blueprints to try and make your own out of.

There's a lot of old guys that'll blow you off (and young ones too) if they don't honestly believe that you're sincere in your interest of their stuff. Everyone's been burned by the "Oh my God, I have just got to have that, I've ALWAYS wanted one!" dude who immediately turns around and sells his "dream" for beaucoup bucks. PROVE your sincerity if you really want something, and not by being a pest, but by trying, in the best way you know how, to get whatever you want, even if it means making it yourself.

I've bought parts off of guys SUPER cheap, guys who don't sell stuff to anyone normally, because they saw through my ACTIONS that I was sincere. All any true car guy, or any guy for that matter, wants is for some decency and sincerity when being dealt with. You don't have to kiss anyone's ass but it doesn't hurt to be HONEST, really honest, because you've got nothing to lose when you are.:cool:

Sorry about my rant, I just get tired of all the "here's my way to be sneaky or backhanded to get what I want" ideas. That shit gets old, and it's not all that funny either, in my humble opinion.

18. BAD karma.

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Cool man! I have that exact blue dragster on my outer desk! Prolly be cleaner if I left it out side though! I need to hire a maid! Ohh shit, that's me! Where's my duster..........

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

If it sits there much longer,... nobody will have to worry about it,... It will be "going back to the earth" soon.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Getting it off the ground is a great idea, the tarp, well not so much, if it doesn't breath it'll trap the moisture underneath and actually rust quicker.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yea, offer to paint it for him.

23. A question was asked about similar situations.
    A friend of mine on LI noticed an old Dodge Charger in the back of a car shop. He asked the owner if he would sell it......NO, someday I will fix it up.....fast forward 15 years, my friend moved back to LI and went over to the shop. The same car was there but had been parked outside, mostly rotted out. Dead presidents talked. He is now restoring it but it took replacing most of the sheet metal...Like he said, "if only he had sold it to me 15 years ago, the owner would have made more money (3x) and it would have saved me a lot of time". Hindsight is 20/20.....

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hmmm, How fast do you suppose a fella could run down the street with that on his back if he was totally in love with it?

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'm thinking these would not be so hard to run down the street with on your back if you were totally in love with them.:D

26. fanspete

fanspete

If he's determined to let it rot, then make sure he's there, walk over to it, pull out you 'whizzer' and pizz on it. When he runs over to bitch, turn towards him and pizz on him. Say you're sorry, you thought he didn't care about the car and walk away smiling.
    Hey Tin Can...everybody thinks it, maybe not seriously, but they do. Now please flame me for saying 'everybody'. political correctness,sheesh!

27. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

He has it out here because Hot rods do not rot! They will be around another hundred years... You really want it badly, Wait til 3 in the morning and take it. lol
    My friend scored a bare 50`s go-cart chassis that way.

28. Larry T

Larry T

I think I need to move to Maryland. Things must stay cleaner there than in Texas. No dust/dirt/leaves settled in the car anywhere (cept maybe from the rock back on the rocker panel). Nothing around the 4X4 except maybe a little moss on the end. The car hasn't settled into the ground.
    It must be real easy to keep a driver clean there.
    Larry T

29. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Hey 50weight,, I just live down the road from you. How bout I come up and we take a bunch of booze and some naked women over to see the old boy. Maybe he gets a little relaxed he'll be easier to deal with.

30. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

If I had friends that steal crap day or night they would no longer be a friend of mine, nothing like being lumped in as a thief too.......... guilty by association you know.