Register now to get rid of these ads!

CT DMV--- truth or rumor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 3, 2011.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I heard through the grape-vine that the Connecticut DMV is not longer allowing people to take a pair of matching CT vintage liscense plates with the year tags in them and register them to your vehicle.

Last I knew; you could take a matching set of vintage (CT) plates (with the tags still in them) and bring them to the DMV and they would issue a new set of plates. you could then drive the car with the vintage plates on it so long as you had the new set of plates in the car with you.

Anyone had an experiences with this hoopla? We currently have an unregistered project vehicle we're in the midst of working on and had plans to register it with its matching plates in the spring....now it looks like the car might be wearing gawdy brand new CT plates on it :cool:

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

3. darkk

darkk

X2...what he said...

4. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just went through this process a couple of weeks ago. Went to Old Saybrook DMV - quick, painless and free.

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Great! thanks! we actually had a very close friend who tried to do this a few weeks ago and the clerk at the DMV told them they didn't allow people to do this anymore....

6. I went a few weeks ago to do mine. I went to the DMV website looked op the info and had the form sent to me. I did not bring the YOM plates with me so they sent me packing. Didn't see where that was required on the paperwork. I will go back again (with the plates) when time allows.

7. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

i have the form here somewhere , very nice lady at the dmv said to fill out the form and bring it and the yom plates down to the dmv (something about needing to see the plates in person) ??????? - go figure i always thought connecticut dmv would just take my word for it cause im an upstanding member of the community ,and a taxpayer

I cant remember if she said that the car also has to be currently registered ,perhaps the website has more info

8. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

Piece of cake!!! Easiest thing I have ever done at the DMV. Lots of my friends have done it as well. I still can't believe it was FREE.

9. They want to xerox the plates.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just to be clear, you have a nice pair of 1950 CT plates # NICE - 50, you take these plates to the DMV and they have a new pair stamped NICE - 50 and off you go?

11. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

thats what i thought she said , listen, do the rest of us connecticut people a favor and shave and loose the bathrobe next time you visit one of our fine state establishments , dont you have any shaving powder left over from the navy ? you need a hip 70's fro like me !

12. Joe,

I usually go to the Norwich DMV. If I were do show up their unshaven in my bathrobe, No one would notice. Believe me. They would probably think I was the comissioner or official inspector. DMV is a "very special" place to say the least. However if you go to the one in Saybrook it is normal. Must be something in the water in Norwich.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

No, no, no haha. If you want to display your year of manufacture (YOM) plates you must fill out the appropriate forms and bring the forms and YOM plates to the DMV. They want to make sure that the plates have the YOM "tags" in them and then usually make copies of the plates. They take your forms and also issue you a set of new state of CT antique plates. I do not believe the antique plates are written the same way as your YOM plates. Once everything is signed off on, you can then legally display your YOM plates on your car BUT you have to keep the NEW issued antique plates in the car at all times (along with the paperwork given to you by the DMV involving your YOM plates). You are not required to display the new antique plates but you must have them in the car with you

14. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The new auto tags here in TX are not stamped like plates of old. They are "printed". Not sure what the media is on the plate, but I think the reason is so they can be scanned by various readers in police cars, redlight cameras etc. etc. My off topic car is registered as a antique with yom plates. Registration is good for another couple of years and hopefully I can renew it when it expiere for another 5 yrs.

15. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

according to the dmv site the car has to currently be registered with antique plates, , then you fill out form for the yom plates , car will need a vin check if it was not registered in ct , -i just went through this ,my 51 chevy was last reg in ct 20+ yrs ago -i had to get a vin check -- had to get temps first -take to dmv or have a cop do it

16. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

17. mink

mink
    from CT

On the same note. Can any CT state police officer perform a Vin Verification ?

18. Can be a state cop or town cop. I had a local cop cop do my T-Roadster. Sailed right through DMV.

19. mink

mink
    from CT

Where do i get the Vin Verification Paper work to be filled out. The car was from NY last registered in 1946. What do i put in for the areas for Marker Number, and registration state. N/A ??

I get the feeling officers may not know what to do, I mean how often do they have to perform a VIN verification. Do I print the appropriate form out and have them fill it out or do they have the form in a pink and red backed coppy paper.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! Now I understand, sounds like a good deal if you want YOM plates on your vintage car. **** For the record and general information it takes about FOUR MONTHS to get a title transfered from one Ct. registered vehicle to the new owner. Finding this out the hard way after a daily driver was totaled. :mad:

21. Bob, it took over 6 months to get the title for Donna's 3 year old jeep, bought from a dealer. it seams with the state cut backs, the DMV is doing less with less.

22. darkk

darkk

DMV said they don't give it out. most emission places have them and will check the vin for you and fill it out.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Less staff doing more is what they told me. To be totally honest going to the DMV isn't all that bad compaired to years ago. But the title delay sure puts an end to flipping latemodel stuff. :)

24. Mooe

Mooe
    from CT

Just the thread to ask this question in! I want to put '53 commercial plates on my '53 chevy pickup, but when I registered the truck the DMV woman didn't know anything about YOM. I emailed the DMV and got a copy of the form and was given a copy of the legal crap for YOM when i asked about commercial plates :rolleyes: .
    Has anyone gotten a commercial tag used as YOM? I really don't want to take a day off work to go to the DMV for nothing.

25. shoebox72

shoebox72

Heres what I did to reg my 57 wagon out of NY with a typo of the vin# on the NY paperwork, a 5 was an S on the paperwork. I would have had to get a vin check anyway, so to avoid any headaches.... Throw NY paperwork away. Get a CT bill of sale & fill it out with a CT friends name as seller. Go to DMV website & print out the vin verification form. fill it out yourself except for the police name, badge # & vin#. bring vehicle to local PD (get temps, trailer it there or borrow a repair plate like I did, they never even checked) tell them you need an officer to do a vin check, an officer will go out to your vehicle with you, you show them the vin # they'll write it down on the form & fill in their info & sign it then you are good to go. Bring the vin form, ins. card, bill of sale & registration form to dmv & you'll get registered in one visit. I say one visit unless you can't borrow a repair/dealer plate or trailer & need to get temps before hand. It seems kind of intimidating but it's not & they never check who you put as seller on B.O.S. Good luck!