Register now to get rid of these ads!

Epoxy Primer, In a rattle can ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Is there an epoxy primer in a rattle can? I heard of a product under the name Spray-Max, is it real 2 part epoxy. How about POR-15 ? I'm looking to prime & paint interior panels, brackets, braces etc. I just don't want rust to reformulate.

2. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

go to your local paint jobber and SEM makes a self etching primer in a rattle can. That's what i would use..

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I've been using the rustoleum self etch for a couple of years now, I figured it might not be any good but I was very surprised, it's held up as good as the expensive brands. I've had to media blast parts that I had coated with it, nothing wrong with the primer, just to change things, and it's been hard to get off of the metal.

4. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I saw some stuff at the paint supply. It's a spray can and on the bottom is a knob that injects hardener into the can. Then you have a couple of hours to use it.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they used to not be able to put the self etch in the cans, because it would literally eat the spray can over time, but now they plastic coat the can first, so it can't react, I've used both the rustoleum and the duplicolor self etch and both have been great.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I used the Spray Max on my frame and the T body after I had it blasted. It isn't cheap but it held up really well after curing.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

They now make 2 component spray can primers, and they are much better than regular spray bombs. But still not as good as "real" paint. work toward getting some spray equipt. if you plan on doing this for a while!
    The only drawback to these 2K cans is that once you "activate" the can, which mixes the components, you pretty much have to use it all within an hour or so. They WILL harden in the can!

8. robleticia

robleticia

I wish they would make POR-15 in a rattle can cause I always end up wearing about half the can! And that shit takes forever to get off your skin!!!!!

9. The Rust-olem self etching works well and has the same smell as the DP epoxy, possibly some of the same ingredients, I have been using it on interior garnish pieces, etc. About 5 bucks a can and one stage.:)

10. Offy 220

Offy 220

SEM makes a "High Build Primer Surfacer" in a 16oz. spray bomb, it is a high solids flexable primer. I have had good luck with it and it seems to work well and is sand able. I use it after the metal has been prepped with SEM Self Etching primer. I have had some small items out in the rain and weather and have not seen any rust bleeding through.
    Good luck!

11. bobscogin

bobscogin

Get a Preval aerosol sprayer and mix your own epoxy. You'll know for sure what you've got.

Bob

12. I've used the spray bomb epoxy primer on small aluminum parts as well as sheet metal works really well. Just make sure you have enough stuff to use the can up or you will be throwing it out. It's also a bit thinner than mixing it yourself but not to bad.