Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bed Frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebronc4019, Jan 20, 2011.

1. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Am I the only guy who uses bed frames for making stuff? Welding carts, braces, home made tools etc... I never throw out a bed frame. I keep a pile of them and always end up using them to build something temporary or permanent.

2. And I thought I was the only one, there's a trash gypsy that comes around every Tuesday looking for scrap metal, I trade him my scrap for the bed frames he picks up, great stuff for all kinds of things.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I tried one once - the problem is that they are a really crappy alloy. Good for temporary bracing or stuff like that, but don't use them where any real loads are involved.

4. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

My swing set never made it up when I was a kid.. Dad never got around to it... The ol'Man used it in more projects than I can count.. Hell.. later I used pieces of it in two bikes and a Car .... ha...

5. I Drag

I Drag

Make lots out of them, and yes, they're crap steel. I make crap.

6. my friend's NE2 car was nicknamed "the world's fastest bed frame"

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I have used them in the past... but not anymore. Had a few items I made out of them crack near the weld, nothing really critical, but... they are HARD too, will dull a drill bit if you aren't careful. Mild steel angle is so cheap, I don't bother scavenging bedroom furniture anymore.

8. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Don't use them for anything that takes any real weight . They act like high carbon steel . I used them under my wood bed.

9. mj40's

mj40's

x2 I found the same thing and usually shy away from drilling or welding on them.

10. 64cheb

64cheb

Bed frames are nice, they make a great tool cart if you do not have roller boxes. Just throw them on and roll. I personally would not use a bed frame for really critical, like a go kart or mini bike.

11. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

i built the cab for my avatar from a 28 sedan cowl w/doors-bed frame and some sheet metal. The back window and B posts were from a A sedan and the floor was from a B.K playground that I tore down. (pre ball pit)

Attached Files:

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have a piece of one holding the tranny up in my truck right now, while the engine is out for a freshening up.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Needed one last piece of L shape for a trailer that I build. Used for the top rail of the drop down gate.

14. big bad john

big bad john

.......I use them to make shelving in the garage....now I junk them out.....

15. Most bed frame material is re-formed from railroad track. They heat it up and roll it through progressive dies to get the angle profile. Its stronger than similar size mild steel angle
    Same for T fence posts.

No it doesn't weld well , that's why every one is riveted together
    a full lap or three face joint will hold just about anything you want

I use it for all kinds of stuff.
    plasma straight edge is my favorite

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built a battery box for a T-Bucket I made in the 60's. It was cantilevered off of the frame, but I never had a problem with it in the 7 years I had the car. I did have to weld it to the frame, because it was too hard to drill.:D

17. I got a heavy duty one for a engine stand/cart that I made..pics later.

18. 117harv

117harv

I want to make a bed frame for my room out of an extra T frame, using torque tubes as the posts.

A friend made bed stake sides for a beater trash truck from them, hard steel to drill through.

19. williebill

williebill

Interesting results.Think the steel quality issues would apply to bed frames from 40-50 years ago? I've used little pieces from old ones,and didn't notice any problems welding them.I thought 50 year old US steel angle would be better than new Chinese steel.More traditional,y'know?

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'd hate to roll over and hit my head on that post!!

21. I'm building a go kart out of one. :D

Thanks

Hayden

22. racemad55

racemad55

l.o.l.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  23. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

Hahaha that's funny!^^^