Register now to get rid of these ads!

'28-'29 A pickup roof question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shoebomber, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

Anybody have experience converting a repro roadster pickup body into an all steel enclosed roof? Specifically the Last Refuge inc. body. Or a source for a STEEL repro pickup body? I live in Maine and don't have the patience or funds to search down and pick up an unmolested '28-'29 body in California.

2. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

Roadster Ute, any others?

3. budd

budd

i have a roadster pickup and i'm converting a 28-28 car into a closed cab pickup, starting with a RP body would make for a long road, only the fuel tank, firewall, maybe the subframe and cowl sides would be used, the door posts have to be changed, doors, find or build a proper cab back, i think for the money you can buy a running pickup.

4. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

I really don't want to do a conversion. I just can't see a roadster as a smart pick in the northeast. With spring and fall weather as unpredictable as it is, I may just run a roadster with a kwik top, but I hate the look of them, I'd really prefer a closed cab with a tonneau roof rather than solid, if that makes sense. Project is definitely a ways off, still in the plan and collect stages obviously.

5. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Brookville makes an early A pickup body.

6. budd

budd

head on over to Dysarts and grab a big rig, ask some of the truckers if they know where to find a cab, put up a wanted note on the board.

7. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

Dysart's... hahaha late night pie run, anyone?

8. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Do a craigslist search in western mass for a "1929 Model A Truck". There is a decent looking one I saw for sale there. Price looks reasonable too.

9. budd

budd

10. Shoebomber

Shoebomber
    from Bangor, ME

Awesome, I must have skipped over that one. I'll give him a call and check it out this weekend.

11. budd

budd

have you checked out the truck yet?