Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 41 ford tudor sedan project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead41ford, Jan 20, 2011.

1. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

i figured i would start a thread on my car so you all can have a look, give tips, give opinions and enjoy!

some history on the car. i bought this car from sydney (spelling may be wrong?) montana the summer of 1995. this was my first car and i was 15 at the time. a company that serviced the big oil pumps you see on people land would see cars in the fields, buy them and resell. the name at the time was axlesons, it changed a few years later and i have no clue if its still there. we bought 2 cars from them. mine and a 57 oldsmobile 2 door holiday coupe. we stripped the olds on there property for parts. my dad was restoring one at the time. i payed $300 for my ford. we had my uncles car and mine shipped home that winter.

when we got the car to your house i started tinkering. the motor was stuck and my dad suggested soaking the cylinders with marvel mystery oil, which i did. by the end of the weekend, it was turning free. i pulled the dist and cleaned the points up. dumped some gas down the carb, hit the starter and it fired right up!! after a tune up, some black primer, 15 inch rims an tires, 12 volt conversion and rebuilt brakes i was driving it. i drove it a little my senior year of high school. i put maybe 500 or so miles on it. then, it popped a head gasket. it sat in my shop until october of 2010. in that time, id do things here and there to it.

my "old" car that i would have fun with is an o/t turbo pinto. fun to drive, lotsa lookers but i felt it was time to build the 41. that october i had it towed to my house for my wife and i to build. my goals are: restored body and interior to stock. the engine is the correct flathead. im going for aluminum heads, mild cam, headers and 2x2s. im not looking for speed, just cool! trans is a t-5 out of an s-10 with a speedway adapter. front is a stock i beam dropped 4 inches by sids axles. a posi spring and stock lever action shocks will be used. rear is a ford 8.8 with a locker and 3.73s. it will be mounted with a weedetr spring kit. disc brakes all around will be used. 16 inch rims are going to be used with wide whites and stock hubcaps. still unsure of tire sizes. the car will be painted its original color of black, along with the rims.

here it is as i found it the summer of 95:

[​IMG]

oct 2010 when it was brought to my house:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tear down pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

how many people does it take to pull a body off a 41 ford? well, i dont know, but a lot showed up and it did take 7 cases of beer. why not make a party of it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

v8/t5 mock up. home made trans mount to run un split bones:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

body mostly stripped. luckily there is very little rust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

frame ready for paint and painted. no rot and very little pitting on the frame. it was wire brushed, cleaned, etched, and por15 sprayed on. in all the areas that could be seen i sprayed satin rust proofing. i dont like the sheen of por 15 so i used the satin black over it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the frame pics were taken 3 weeks ago. i havent taken pics since. all thats really changed is that i brought the frame back home and set it up to start putting stuff together. as i take more pics, ill post them. along with some discription of what ive done or what changed.

there are more pics on my photobucket page. you can check them out if you want. also some o/t car pics some may like.

http://s307.photobucket.com/home/ford371/index

3. Fat Ford sedans are some of my favorites. Got a 42 in similar condition in my garage. Will be watching this thread for sure. Looks like it's gonna be a sweet ride. What are your plans for mating the t5 to the rear end?

4. PBR1844

PBR1844

Heres mine, started in a lot worse condition than yours. You got a nice platform to start with, Cant wait to see the progress!!!

Attached Files:

5. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

thanks guys! good lookin sedan pbr!

blacktop, the rear axle going into the car is a late model ford 8.8. i will be going with a regular open driveshaft.

6. 76cam

76cam

Looks like its on it way to be a nice ride....

7. LBCD

LBCD

subscribed :)

8. Got any more pics of your trans mount for the t 5? I'm putting 1 in my 46 business coupe behind my 49 merc flathead. I'm using a 8" rear from a 64 comet and parallel leaves out back, with the stock beam axle up front.
    Matt

9. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

i took some pics of the trans mount last night, along with the finished front end parts that are still in my basement. the pics of the motor and trans mocked up in the frame are with the front axle at its bump stops. to get the i was sure to mock all this stuff up before the axle was pulled. i had the spring off so i could rest the frame all the way down to the axle to make sure i had clearance. i still have about a half inch or so of clearance. the new mount is held in with 4 bolts. the steel is 3/8s if i remember right. the sides are threaded to a 3/8 16. i used two insulators to mount the trans to the mount. they are urethane (spelling??) donut looking pieces threaded on both ends, one male the other female. when i bring the trans back home ill take pics of it. maybe today, its waisting space in my shop!

heres a pic of below the trans so you can see how much room i have. not the best angle but you can get the idea. it looks like its touching, but its not:

[​IMG]

heres the mount:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the front end stuff and the pedal assembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  10. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I love it! I think it is cool you have had it so long. Keep us updated.

11. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Welcome to the Blue Oval Nation. Great looking project, Thats mine in the avitar. let me know if you need any sources for parts. Do you go to Canfield Dave & Ed's I should be there in the spring and fall.

12. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

42 chevy, thanks! its funny to say, but i was one of those "im gonna fix it one day" people. years back a hand full of people asked me if id sell it. i got the typical eye roll and "no you aint!" when id tell them that.

legend, thanks! im diggin the rims your running. i will remember your offer. i do need some pieces here and there. the things off the top of my head are not needed as of now. im going to try to make it to canfield in the spring. if i remember right, it happens when my work is slammed. normally its hard for me to get away for that.

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Looking real good. Here's my Mordor. I've got a coupe body to swap with it, but This body is starting to grow on me. Love all the room

[​IMG]

14. I really like that trans mount. It is a really nice piece. Do you have access to a mill?
    Matt

15. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

thanks, that was the second one made. the first was kind of a rough one to test. shitty welds, shitty cuts, etc. my dad works at a machine shop, im lucky to have access to it. im thinking of getting a mill for the shop. im sure we would use the hell out of it!

16. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

well, im back at it. i havent been on the hamb since feb. work and life are crazy things! i have plucked away at the car here and there. i spent time getting my ot pinto back up and going so i had my summer car. now that its running again, the 41 is back on jack stands. i will get more pics soon. as of now, the pedal assembly is in with the master cylinder. my rear springs finally came off back order, and go figure, they dont fit. looks like im gonna be doing some grinding! the wishbone and all of the front end is cleaned up and painted. still waiting on a couple parts to put it together though. im guessing ill have them within a week.

i started looking into rebuilding my front shocks. i found a few places that do it. but, id like to try it myself. havent found any kits yet though. still some digging to do!

the motor is still at metals crackshaft in down town cleveland. its been magnafluxed and is crack free. the line hone is done. i bought new 239 std bore pistons through h and h. pat is boring my now sleeveless block to a stock 239. once that is done he wants the valves. when the valves are done i can finally get this thing home to do a little port work. then he can have the rods and crank to do what he needs.

bob

17. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

41 tudor is one of my favorites, nice work. Keep us posted. Gary

18. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

any updates on this old girl

please............

19. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

yes there are, and thanks for reminding me to plug my camera in to charge the battery. i will post more pics and give an update tonight or tomorrow.

bob

20. Labold

Labold

Love those Tudors.
    Keep up the good work, I'd love to have a T-5 in my car.

21. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

as i stated earlier, the car has been idle for a while. ive gotten back to tinkering in the little time i have away from work. we have the front end assembled and re installed. nothing tight yet to make sure everything will work fine. i am having a little clearance issue with the steering arms and the dropped axle so some massaging is needed. the rear springs also need a little work to fit into their mounting location. nothing a grinder wont fix. i dont know if i will have time this week to do much more. then next week i will be at lake norman for a week. time to sit on the dock with my fishing pole and a cooler full of beer. if i dont catch any fish, thats fine by me. im sure ill catch a buzz! needless to say, there probably wont be any more updates for at least 2 more weeks. enjoy the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]