Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 49 shoebox Rust bucket

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by shovelrepairman, Jan 19, 2011.

1. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

So I'm new here and I have to say that its been a God send to read some of the post's with "The Rust Bucket" and the repairs being done. I too have a car thats more rust than metal. Everyone says too can it and get something a little less rusty..At least with this old car I know what it needs, everything.This is my first car build and when I get alittle overwhelmed I read the posts from Hamb'ers just repairing the rusted stuff and it kind of centers me..I guess this will be a build thread...I've had the car for about 2 months and this is where I'm at...Still tearing it down...To this point the flattie and trans are being rebuilt, The frame under the car is held together with wood..lol..the doors and trunk lid and hood and roof are all good, minor rust repair. Floors,trunk,shot. Rockers on right gone, left side was just a patch panel so it all has to be replace..More bondo than metal for quarters,so all that will be replaced..I found a stock 49 tudor frame from a guy cheap. Its in way better shape but still needs work. Any suggestions would be a big help..plans are to just learn On this car and make it into a runner....The guy in the pic aint me.....just a buddy

Attached Files:

2. dsr_54

dsr_54

Welcome , and good luck with your project.

3. big bad john

big bad john

......Welcome......Take one day at a time......you'll bring it back to life.....and take a lot of pictures....keep us posted......Big Bad John

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool - just keep plugging away !

5. toranaback

toranaback

welcome, the shoebox and yourself will be a perfect match to the site . looks like you have got a good start on it so keep up the good work and keep the pics flowing. looking froward to seeing the results of your hard work.

6. 54wingnut

54wingnut

welcome from chicago! There ain't no better feelin' than doin' it yourself-congrats on your project!

7. Welcome from Connecticut

8. straight6

straight6
    from alabama

i like those old cars. tough as nails. im new here to. i got me a 63 falcon, pritty good in the shape of the car. very little rust.

9. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

10. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

welcome from Tulsa OK

11. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

Thanks everybody for the comments. Not Much is going on here in the Cold North Of Michigan. I did pick up another parts car, its all there and I think the body is alot better than the one I got. I'm going to tear into it this weekend and get an Idea of what I got.....So that makes 3 cars, hoping in the end to make them into one. Ill post some pics when I get some progress. Its suppose to get in the double digits this weekend, so I can get something done ......

12. Cochise Chops

Cochise Chops

I have a 51 that is a work in progress. You came to the right place for advice. Good luck from Florida.

13. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

welcome to the Hamb

14. Great job and welcome

15. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

So I got it to the Third car and I think it will be a better starting point. I had to dig it out of a corn field, but here it is...floor braces,some floorboard work. The trunk is solid, the quarters are solid. driverside rockers is good..the first car I think Ill use for parts. I hope to start the floors next Sat...Its going to be a mini heat wave , like 40 so I'll hopefully get some progress picks up.....I dig the plaid seat....everyone else hates it....

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      172.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      187.4 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      206.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      240.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      194.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      191.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      174 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      152 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      239.8 KB
      Views:
  16. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

more pics

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      188.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      202.9 KB
      Views:
  17. A55HOLE

A55HOLE

Welcome from NH! It looks like you're on your way. There is a ton of information here.

18. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Welcome to the HAMB

19. low merc51

low merc51

KEEP up the good work ,,this merc was rusty as Hell and I welded 2 years on it just to have one !!!!!!!LABOR OF LOVE !!!!

Attached Files:

20. Welcome to the board.

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Welcome to the HAMB from Rowlett, TX---I try to do one thing a day on the '40....even if it's dozing off in the front seat.

22. pumpman

pumpman

Welcome from Union Pier, MI.

23. "One piece at a time!" you will get it. Welcome aboard!

24. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Welcome from TN

25. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

26. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Hello,

Welcome to the HAMB!:D

Later,
    Wally

27. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

Its been awhile. I got Laidoff so had to put things on hold. Back to work so I'm back at it a little at a time.. The Flattie I was going to use is going to need alotta work but atleast the Block isn't cracked..I stumbled onto a Y-block from a 56 truck a 272 that has been sitting for 30 years. I traded a rollcart for it....I'm thinking after opening it up it only has a few thousand miles and Might use it instead of the Flattie...I've read some early posts on the swap, But I figured I'd get some Imput....Anybody put a y-block in a shoe box?

28. shovelrepairman

shovelrepairman

Its been awhile since I posted last...Being a Harley Mechanic in Michigan in the summer leaves you with little to no time to ride or work on your car...Luckly for me it rained a ton and I got the floors done on the slow days..Thanks for the replys to my posts..this is my first crack at all this stuff and I have learned a ton...what to do and what not to do.....

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      527.6 KB
      Views: