Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fresh paint + driving = patina

2. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ive had shiney and nice...

Ive had primer...

Ive even had bare-steel...

And Ive had severley worn weathered paint...

I love the worn out paint the most...

I can drive to work, to Wally World, haul kids, haul cars parts, sit on it, drive it anyday, anytime..

To each their own!!

3. C10Barnfind

C10Barnfind

I have restored several cars that got new paint and interior. They came out nice but, definitely were not irreplaceable. I found this truck in Agua Dulce, Ca. sitting in the backyard of the original owner. Im sure the truck has tons of stories and repainting it would have made it another restored 60-66 Chevy truck. Sean
    [​IMG]

4. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

If the thing is truly a beater and it all blends together like a $500 car should it's OK.
    But it's dumb when you are sporting a $50,000 or more build and decide to call it finished with 90% of the paint missing.

5. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

My Plymouth's body is the color I found it in a North Dakota field...it stays that way, and I love. I did paint the frame though, but I don't have to wax it. Wax on, wax off...

Attached Files:

6. Trencher

Trencher

well, I paint cars for a living, and it's nice to drive my surface rusted '54 everywhere, leave it parked at walmart with the windows down, and not worry about scratches and dents......yet

7. this is one sweet car, i wouldn't paint it ether...

8. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Wait 35 years for the kids tuners to make a valiant patina comeback....

9. 117harv

117harv

Faux patina, something new made to look old.

Repro 32 rails, something new made to look old.

Both are coppied versions of something old.

Lots of folks like faux patina, jeans, paint for home interior, hell all the New vintage street lights in my town have faux patina. Everyone knows they are new but the look fits in with the towns heritage, to each his own.

10. I think I found Mr. Patina cruising in his V-Dub rabbit! :) Ya gotta love trends!

[​IMG]

11. 31fordV860

31fordV860

On my way home from school when I was 8 I would walk by the house where the A I now own was put away. Every once and awhile Mr. Wilson would have the garage door open and there it sat....gray and faded. That was 1959.

Now running in 2011, the A's Patina is glorious with gray Primer and faded Red Oxide primer underneath. Painting it now would be criminal....

The attempts to re-create patina currently are bizarre to me...just me.

12. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

New patina. Artwork. Richie's car is a real art piece, hands down amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS.. you want THEIR car to be how YOU want it instead of how THEY want it? am i reading this right?

Well sir. Your are cordially invited to shit in your own hat

14. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

It takes time and battle scars to produce real patina, and thats what makes it cool.

15. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

The Cabriolet will be restored when the time and money are there to do it right and I can see it all the way through. I can't in good conscience tear it apart to restore until I know I can make it to the finish line. I think it would be a slap in the face to the car to tear it apart before the time was right. Also, at this point I've tracked the cars history back to 1956. I'd like to continue tracking the history on it if possible back to its origin in the 40's (hoping that I'll get some more clues at the GNRS this year). That way the car can be restored to it's true to history first custom version and not be lost in guesses of what anyone hoped it looked like or think it did based on clues. The car was changed several times in its life, even though it's very simple.

On the patina issue that this thread is about, there are some cars that are neat to look at in patina (the Waco Kid being my favorite), and there are some cars where it's taken way too far that I'd rather see finished nicely. I do think it's over done.

16. Muttley

Muttley

17. Captain Carson

Captain Carson
    from N.Z

Oh hell yeah - I need to see more of Richie's car!

18. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I do beleve that in the early days of hot roding a car was built and all the bugs worked out befor it was painted. A lot of cars got drove before they were painted. But this BS of just bolting down an old pos rusted out body a stock 80s - 90s motor and driving the crapp out of it and calling it a hot rod is bull. I beleve that in the day as we call it when you were buying go fast goodies, blowing clutches and rear ends and just keeping it running and racing, paint was your last concern. All the cars i remmber had body work done or roughed out and primered. I think there was more pride in owenership in the day. There are too manny cars being built today just for resale. These guys are thaking the easy way out and calling it patina or a fad. Fad no junk is junk if you dont beleve me look on E gay rusted out crapp and un safe to boot. jim

19. Yep, Old patina is good for me. Old 40's/50's high school budget hot rods honk my horn. The kids in the 50's usually ran out of money for paint by the time they got their cars on the road, so they went with what was on it, 25 year old factory paint or what ever they could afford. After all, isnt that what inspires the majority of nostalgia hot rods built nowadays?
    I'll personally will never get sick of it as I just dont like fibreglass,22 inch,low profile,easter egg paint,billet street rods built out of a catalogue. I like em built from parts sourced from swapmeets and wrecking yards, and put together with mates in a home garage,thats cool.

20. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I remember I used to wash my 56 Ford with Comet cleanser to make it shiny back in the 70's. I'm also getting tired of rubber band tires on Rods & muscle cars. Those under water street cars with the snorkle on the hood does'nt do the body lines of a car any justice either. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

21. Deuces

Deuces

He's gotta be a drug dealer that was high on nose candy..... I wouldn't have given 3 grand for the truck...

22. Deuces

Deuces

There's ways you could fix that..... Never spend 10 grand on a paint job! I don't care what kind of car it is... And yes! I'm a big time muscle car fan also...

23. Deuces

Deuces

Now that there is what I call a r*t rod!

24. Deuces

Deuces

Screw that! put a coat of paint on it!!

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I find patina silly, I'd rather see a car beign cared for and preserved.

Fix the damn rust... :eek:

Now that's funny... new chrome... :D

The HAMB is a very narrow focus, when are people going to understand that? It's not about innovation.

Cared for would be nice, you should've fixed that rust. :eek:

26. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

If you have ever seen that `48 grunge truck up close it is a high dollar build underneath. The guy built it and drove it across the states before he died and the girls consigned it to Barrett-Jackson. His buddy that helped him built himself a similar truck later on. They were the only members of the Southwest Grunge Truck club. Too funny.

New 572/overdrive trans/4-link/Heidt front/bagged/air conditioning..on & on.Lots of money and time spent.

Both trucks made a couple of magazines.

Not sure if it was worth that but the new owner wanted it and will never have to wash or wax it. Just drive.

27. Deuces

Deuces

Still! 2 grand would have been my max bid!:rolleyes:

28. deVco

deVco

In my day, if someone drove in with a patinaed car. the first question asked him would have been, "Are you gonna finish it?" But I guess if thats what you like, knock your self out. I dont. Up here rust is the begining of the end. O yea, "Flat Black" is primer. JMO

Newt

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

couldn't agree more---that's what I'd call a break from tradition. the tradition was to restore way back then. I remember..........

30. 32Gnu

32Gnu

This is stupid... It all boils down to what trips your trigger and how far you gonna blow it...
    To each their own..

to chop or not to chop..
    what color should I paint it
    do you like these wheels
    Is this O/T

Get some balls and do what you want... Its like me asking you if I should put a rack in my car...

Whats cool? I'm cool... You cool? We cool.... ENJOY THE RIDE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.