Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Carson Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Mar 23, 2010.

1. varodder

varodder

I don't post often, but I must say that car is stunning!:D

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yaril, Let me ask you a question. How does it feel to be awesome? I would love to do something like that.

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

This car keeps getting better!

4. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful work - very impressive and a sharp car.

5. THEKID49

THEKID49

It looks amazing. The color is right on for the period of the car. And the prep work really shows in the final finish.

6. toranaback

toranaback

truly and absoutly bind boggleing, brillant i bow down in front of you the legend.

7. Wardog

Wardog

This just keeps getting better and better! The interior is looking awesome man. I don't know if i missed it or not but are your'e cousins trimming the top aswell? If so this thing is about 98% done. Great build.

8. Yaril

Yaril

thank you for all the kind words everyone! it seems like a long time but 6 months sure do fly. my cause is doing an outstanding job on all the soft goods. he is enjoying this project very much so. again thanks!!!

wow, today was almost the day i didnt make the GNRS deadline! day started off normal, goal was to install electric door poppers and that was going well. my cause calls to let me know the headliner and some interior panels are done so swing by the shop. excited as i am i drop everything and head over along with the armrest that Leo color matched the bases so that cause can wrap the tops in contrasting white. all is looking beautiful so we decide to press forward on the padded top now that the headliner is 90% complete and looks just like the sketch i gave him.

[​IMG]

we flip the top over to begin padding and messing with the outside. he rolls out this tan like fabric so i pull on it and we are looking at overall shape right over the metal frame. i all the while thought it was some burlap or similar base fabric because of the color. then the shit hit the fan! that was the top's material that i paid buku money for. the color was unacceptable!!! next to anything white it looks tan, on its own it is barely white. so we begin the scramble because my plan is to drive off to Cali no later than Sunday (this Sunday) at 4am. no local distributors carry anything like it. we ordered this from Cali but never bothered to compare it to white.

so long story (day) short, we look at the pics of Ralph Jilek's 40 Ford on Rik's web-site and i frantically google for Tom Sewell's phone number. Tom returns my call and saved the day. we chatted about the 40 he did and about the Shoebox and how im on a time crunch ext. he gives me a phone number to where i can possibly find the bright white stayfast. sure enough Tom's resources saved the day. the material is being shipped over night so that tomorrow Friday we can get to work on stitching up the top and hopefully wrapping this thing up enough to drive it in time for the show. a big THANK YOU to Tom Sewell!

9. Great drama and great car, can't wait to see it in Pomona!

Smooth sailing!

Dennis

10. Been following this build. It is nothing short of awesome. Now.."Bright white Stayfast"? Where can I get some?

11. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Wow its coming out very nice, my buddy just finished his 50 chevy coupe with a carson top. Looks bitchen too.

12. jasone

jasone

Just found this thread and am blown away, beautiful work and the details are perfect, can't wait to see it at GNRS.

13. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Car looks awsome!

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

All the best on your trip, I wish I was going with you.

15. Do us all a favor and post up pics before you head out. All of us won't be at the show so the only way we will see it is if you post the pics. Looking good.

16. Woody94

Woody94
    from Holly, MI

Awsome build, and truly inspiring! Thanks for posting all the pics.

17. lorodz

lorodz

looking fantastic

18. McCoy

McCoy
    from Seatown

Good luck with the eleventh hour finalization of this superbe build! Have a safe trip too. Please keep us informed of your cross country endeavor!

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

Man,i just read this thread beginning to end...great drama!can't wait to see the ending at Pomona!

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

21. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Fucking awesome.

22. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

It look to be how nice is posible inside.

23. Yaril

Yaril

thanks guys. though couple of days behind me and a few more ahead. cant wait to relax at the show and meet some of you!

so what would you say if i told you that now im leaving Miami Monday afternoon? the company we ordered the white top material from did not ship it out because the credit card did not go through. we found this out on Friday. so next day air for Saturday before noon!!! ouch!!! oh well who is counting at this point? last night i slept barely 2 hours. spent the entire night just doing all of the little things i could. this morning i kept checking UPS tracking my material. me and cause were patiently waiting at his shop so we can tear into it.

in preparations for the time crunch he made a mock up from scraps in the shop.

[​IMG]

the mock up provided quick templates for the main parts of the roof.

[​IMG]

here is Sergio focused on making every stitch count. we, swept, aired and lined the floors and cleaned the sewing machine and put a new needle and kept as much of the white part of the top covered at all times.

[​IMG]

now the reason for a Monday departure even though we got really advanced today, cause has a fifteens to go with the fam up in Orlando so we could only work till 3pm. he returns late Sunday night so we have to just wrap it on Monday morning and ill hit the road straight from there!

today another pal came over Tony and detailed the car while Leo buffed out he trunk lid. i worked on wrapping up the door poppers, side trim and many other misc items. basically tomorrow is the last day we have to put the car together, so please note it will not be 100% complete at the show but as best as we could given the time frame. when i return the uncompleted parts will be in full swing (ect new side glass and frames, few interior details).

[​IMG]

24. You'll get there. Be patient, don't let it kill you. There's always another show.

25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wow thats coming together nice. Great job man.

26. newpy383

newpy383

Absolutely beautiful congrats.

27. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

really pulling for you to make it...

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This car is flat out amazing. Congrats man, you've really done a magnificent job.

29. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Now this is cool. Awesome job, man.

30. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Looking great and can't wait to see it...btw I've driven the the San Francisco-Naples Fl (native Floridian) a few times straight thru in the 54 hour range so LA should be a little better...you going solo or have a co-pilot? Hope to meet you at the HAMB gathering!