Register now to get rid of these ads!

single wheel trailers and parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckystiff, Sep 30, 2006.

1. luckystiff

luckystiff

anyone know of a source for single wheel trailer parts?

i've been trying to find an old single wheel on the east coast for a while with no luck. now i'm thinking if i just find the basic wheel assembley then i'll build up the frame/box like i want it.

i've went and looked at a coupla small utility trailers recently but they just aren't fitting to what i'm looking for. there is a ad in one of the local classifieds for a small utility that the box is an old model a truck bed. interesting but the guy hasn't returned my calls. funny how people put shit up for sale but don't answer the phone or return calls.

anyhow just looking into other options as all the ones i find for sale are on the west coast and it's cost as much to ship it here as they sale for. whatever i do it's gonna be small and light as it's to pull behind one of those cars we dare not speak of here...ken....

2. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I am assuming you mean single axle? The Tractor Supply Store is a great source for trailer stuff. Axles, wheels, springs, etc. Even torsion suspension axles so you can build one with a low deck. All at a cost equal to Northern Tool. If you go to their website you can search for the nearest store. Northern is also just a phone call away. MIKE.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

not sure if it's what luckystiff is talking about, but they used to make trailers that clamped onto your bumper like a tow bar, only pivoted up and down, and had a single wheel mounted under the center of the cargo box that pivoted as you turned. i think the only real advantage was that you do not need to know how to back a trailer with one of those.

4. luckystiff

luckystiff

yep ray nailed it. i can post pics of some or you can see tons at www.singlewheel.com they are great for pulling behind VW's. there i said it you happy hahahhaha. their angle is much better for a really low bug which mine is now a good bit lower since i put the BRMs on and dropped it some more. and it's still not as low as it will be since i'm actyually making lowered springplates for it. anyhow can't talk to much about that here or it'll get canned.

i really am curious to find out what the homemade trailer thats in the local classifieds thats made from a model a truck bed looks like. if nothing else i may could modify it a bit to sit lower with a solid mount dropped axle or something. it's cheap so if it's cool looking but needs tweaking to fit my likes it'd still be worth it...ken....

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Check around for some one selling an old popup style camper. I bought one for a couple hundred bucks about 10 years ago. the guy I bought it from had stripped off all the camper stuff. I had some diamond plate welded on, extended the hitch about two feet. I used it for hauling a 80's Honda civic to auto crosses and Ice racing. The axle was rated for 2000 lbs, it had electric brakes. The only problem is that the wheels are inboard of the fram rails, but I fashioned some "fenders" out of rubber conveyor material from a rock quarry, and drive over the tires/fenders when loading the car. The load height of these camper frames is pratty low so they actually work well for 4 wheeles dirt bikes, snomobiles, and of course small cars.

6. sawzall

sawzall

I know posie had a couple of these goofy things..maybe he still does?

call posies in hummelstown.. ask for dutch

sawzall

7. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have a couple of them. One is an AllState and the other one is a "I DUNNO". Both of mine are un-restored but use an 8" wheel. A Cushman Wide Whitewall looks pretty cool if you buff off the Cushman.

The frame are generally made of light gauge 2"x2" angle iron and were either riveted or bolted together. If I were going to "re-invent the wheel", I would use a car dolly hub and mount a plate onto it and then let that be the side-plate. If you have ever had a flat on one of those bolt mounted wheels (--and you will), then you will appreciate the ability to remove four lugnuts and swap out a tire on the side of the road. If you use another spindle or dolly hub as your axis plate, then just make a pivot joint and maybe some old hood springs. If you really want to go the nostalgia route, then you could take two trailer springs and cut them to mimic a semi-eliptic pair, and then make you a mount for them on your axis plate hub and then fab a spindle for the wheel hub.

Most of those original trailers also had a maximum of 45 mph. Payload was only 400-500 pounds too so as you probably already know, the original ones were not much IMO. Does this help you out some??

8. Powerband

Powerband

Wow, That brought back a memory of my Dad's Henry-J and the caster wheels bearngs locking up on the weird little trailer. I remember that I hadn't heard a curse word from him until that day. I also remember he decided he might as well drag it home, sending a shower of sparks up behind us as the 'J whined down the highway.

Powerband :cool:

9. 48 Dodge Coupe

48 Dodge Coupe

Hi,

I have a 1936 single wheel teardrop trailer, and a teardrop trailer website. I was just today perusing single wheel trailers looking for parts. In the process I added a number of links to my links database. Go to www.tinytears.cc/links.html, click on the database link, and then search under Manufacturers. There are a number of great suppliers such as:

http://www.doublehitch.com/

The Double Hitch Suspension rotates 360 degrees!

Whether you're an OEM or a do-it-yourself builder, the Double Hitch Suspension enables you to build a Double Hitch Trailer which does not pivot or jack-knife and tracks with the towing vehicle, even while backing.

Build a golf cart trailer for an RV.

Build a motorcycle or ATV trailer which can be towed behind a fifth wheel trailer.

Build a single wheel trailer.

Good luck on your search!!!

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dexter axle in El Reno,OK.

11. wayfarer

wayfarer

They show up all the time on www.thesamba.com It's a VW site, but look at their classifieds.

12. National trailer supply house goes by the name of REDNECK. No shit that's realy the name.

13. msmmole

msmmole
    from Spokane Wa

14. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I was thinking he was looking for and you could tell every car that ever towed one by the bent up edges on the bumper and the skinned up spots on the bumper on each side. I haven't see one in thirty year that I can remember.

But: lookie here http://motorcycletrailer.com/sw/ also search for swivel wheel trailer rather than single wheel trailer. Found this too http://www.singlewheel.com/Auto/HeiliteFR.htma or http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  16. A Rodder

A Rodder

I know I am not helping but thought I would share anyhow. Ever seen a double wheeler, 1930's Roto Rooter used trailer. 60MPH all the way to Billetproof:)

Attached Files:

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I have one of those for sale. I have never advertised it but a couple hundred bucks would buy it.

Attached Files:

• 9.5.JPG
      9.5.JPG
      File size:
      211.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  18. the double hitch co has the parts and plans to build your trailer.