Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I see Mike Maiatco in the former Carol & Loyd Cox Calif. Ventura(M/T) and John Walker in the former Sam Samuels Star Fire are listed. They were members of the "Indian Tribe" who lived near me. Also my late friend and partner Gene Collins in his 271 automatic Mustang. Brings back many good memories. Thanks.

2. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

That's Troy Dennis' D/MP sedan delivery.
    Bob Rice

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

5. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

6. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Spinning in some Autolite spark plugs.

Car looks like a four door with the rear handle shaved. I dig the header extentions too.

7. HMCDave

HMCDave
    from Brighton

Why not just send it to some type of racing museum, so the White Lightning's legacy and Memory of Max Sterling Jr. will live on forever for future generations?

8. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

That's young Jere Stahl wearing the shades with his '56 wagon. All his early headers had the long collectors.

9. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Was there a purpose for the long collector on the Stahl headers? Any baffles or scavenger tubes in them?

10. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I wonder why the thread was deleted? Max live further away from me back in the day but we didn spend a lot of time on the phone BSing with each other. I did a set of heads for his 455 71 Firebird Super Stock car back around 1972-73 I think. He was a great guy and fun to talk to. I used to spend a lot of time at Herb Gebler's header shop also and learned a lot from him around 1969-74. All of those Pontiac guys ran his headers.

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

"Two’Lane Blacktop Director, Monte Hellman, composes the shot for
    setting the timing on the `55′s big-block over the shoulder of
    Technical Advisor Jay Wheatley, for an early scene."

[​IMG]

Tom, how'd Jay that gig?

Pete

12. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

With all the talk about TENSION, and GOOD IN TENSION, seems the Brainbeau Olds' license plate should have been part of their deal...

Or, was it a "strategic wish"?!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  13. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

One of Vanke's 62 SD's. Probably the Red one! Pic may be at Magnolia, Oh dragstrip? -- Loved those flagman!!

14. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Thats Stahl's record holder 225HP/265 (dual quad) wagon and "test bed" for his headers. He did lots of collector length experimenting on that car. I believe that is Jere standing outside the driver's door?

15. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Jay coulda been a stand-in for Dennis Wilson...

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Irregardless of the horsepower, torque, performance improvement, etc. the modern stuff just DOES NOT HAVE THE LOOK nor the "cool factor" of the earlier cars. That's a fact. The engines in these modern cars don't look like 'engines' with their fuel injection, a myriad of wires, sensors, hoses, etc. cramped into an engine compartment two sizes too small, and resembles instead some industrial powerplant. That's a fact. To me the modern aero-blob styling is abominable compared to the very pleasing styling of the vintage iron. That's a fact. However, to each his own.

Pete

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I rest my case.

Pete

18. I just noticed that! I found a original 60's "Avoid Tension" sticker on ebay and thought it would look fitting right on our bumper.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

19. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taken at York this past summer.

20. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Thanks for the link Colesy, interesting article.

And on the subject of headers again...

A fellow H.A.M.B.'er has a pair of M/T Scavengers' for a SBC listed in the classifieds. Anyone need them for a stocker project or ? They're not cheap, but they're rare!

Here's the link.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551133&highlight=scavenger+headers

21. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

They added bottom end power and torque. Particilarly needed with the automatic equipped cars, but the stick cars ran them too. Tom Neja had a set on the '57 in Califiornia in 1969, but their car was a stick and they eventually shortened the collectors quite a bit. We ran them on our Automatic equipped mopars (big and small blocks including Hemi cars) and got appreciable gains once sorted out completely.

22. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Hey Dean,

Kind of a "corn dog" question to ask, but where did the name "In Bomber" come from? Is there a story behind it?

I think I remember reading the green hand and syringe is because it was fuel injected? And the exploding tnt on the deck lid was because that's what was described as the car left the starting line.

Thanks.

23. Yup! The car was originally ran a 283ci/283hp fuel injected setup, and was going to be named the Injector. Some of the guys didn't really dig it, so someone came out and said "why don't you embalm it!". So they blended the two and came up with the theme of the zombie hand with the syringe squirting embalming fluid behind the name.

The dynamite was in reference to it's hard launches off the line, and instead of TNT they called themselves PNP Racng Team (Patrick/Nelson/Patrick). I don't know how long this was all painted on the back of the car, or even at what time exactly. We didn't have any photos of the rear, so we just went for it going by what descriptions we got from Ken Nelson and Ken Patrick. I drew up the dynamite logo just as described; broken in half, exploding with a lit fuse!

-Dean

Attached Files:

24. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

[​IMG]

Long collectors ! They were Stahl headers and I guess they were that long from Stahl.

I think it was popular to put some crayon on the collectors and where the mark stopped burning off...cut them.....not very scientific.....I know we cut thos headers shorter sometime after this picture. This was taken at Indy in 1966

25. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

The York photo shows the back row with Dom Rinaldi,The tall guy partially hidden is Barry Wallner,the guy with the ridiculous mustache is Al Andrews..............

26. dirt42

dirt42

Great story Verne. That's what makes this thread the best.

27. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

28. HMCDave

HMCDave
    from Brighton

Is the 'White Lightning still for sale? I've noticed you've deleted the threads. Are the car and trophy still being being sold seperatley or together? If being sold seperatley what is the asking price? I know in an earlier post you stated you would let the market set the price.

29. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Here's another stocker. Don't know if it's ever been posted before.

30. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Congratulations on the fine job.

Pete