Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clear coat over chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

wont work....clear wont stick to the chrome and clear powder coating wont work....i have never seen clear powder coat not peel...ive had 3 or 4 pro powder coaters tell me they ont touch the stuff because it always peels and people end up coming back...honestly your bes bet its a drill and a mothers power ball or similar...also if the part is cleared with either product and gets in contact with caustic products ie brake fluid...its going to eat it soits going to look like shit

2. Trencher

Trencher

My father in law used the eastwood stuff..I think it was called Nyalic???used it on polished aluminum brackets and grab bars on his semi...bragged about it..explained the procedure to me like a college professor using big words like.."preparation is the key to any superior project" and on and on...I listened to his shpeel, waited til he was done and said...it's polished, has no tooth for adhesion, I don't care what you say, it WILL FALL OFF...about 6 months later he was trying to scrub it off with thinner cuz it started flaking off...what do I know, I'm just a dumb painter

3. Adhesion promoter is for getting paint to stick to plastic like new car bumpers it will not help on chrome.

4. wha?
    I do it for a living and I do multi-layered custom work etc all in powder. I would powder the pieces with a high gloss clear and be happy. the trick is to get the pieces wiped down clean, front and back, pores and all, think encapsulation type application and then pre-bake dry and open them pores up, hit the clear while its hot and bake to cure and be happy love you long time.

5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

When using POR 15 clear, you have to prep it with a special liquid that may etche the part. No finish is as strong as chrome, all will scratch.

I cleared some bumpers (not with POR )that I had cleaned the light rust off of with a strong cleaner and they scratched easily and looked worse than the light rust.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just say to hell with the chrome. Leave that to the wanna be or real show cars.

Go with a smoothed out part powder coated in a nice color and be done with it.

To hell with chrome !

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dechrome the part and paint ........Or dont look under your ride

8. Hale's Speed Shop

Hale's Speed Shop

ALSA Paint Corp. makes a clear for chrome that will stick to anything with out having to sand it if you want to check it out www.alsacorp.com

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Eastwood has a product called "Diamond Clear" never used it myself but a buddy of mine did and it looks real good.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is fucking stupid. Just tell them it's not like you're competing for AMBR. Plus is you're not in the game to be polishing chrome a couple times a year then you shouldn't be chroming anything. That truck is going to be nothing but a headache once you're finished with it but if that's what you like then one Saturday a month is going to be devoted to cleaning, polishing and waxing.

And yes it is ridiculous....especially for a car that's going to be driven. I have a few ridiculous pieces chromed but all are on top and within reach to clean. My bell-housing was the only thing that will need to get scrubbed from underneath and go a head and punch me if you catch me under there doing that.

Wax is the best way from what I hear from Del. I think a clear coat with yellow after time.

11. Nothing you put on there is going to hold up as well as just the chrome so it will end up being wasted time and money coating it in anything.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I think you're jealous. If not now, you will be when I win AMBT. Hahaha!!!

To everybody else, I'll just stick with the wax and get down and dirty every couple of months. Thanks for the help!

13. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

NOTHING will stick to chrome. It might look good for a while but then??
    Chrome is actually easier to keep clean than paint anyways? And more durable.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You think so but know that you have no chance when that guy is building that Weesner truck and you're still fucking around with that 261 in you non symmetrical engine bay. On top of that I am never going to see that Chrome part you're speaking of because I'll be sidetracked by all the oil that engine spits out.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I still love you and your gay engine though...hell I have a SBC!

16. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

alsacorp.com

clear special made for chrome

17. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Hey Check this out. It's made by 3M and we cover high end cars with this and also cover the front forks on the 100k choppers, the film does'nt yellow,crack or peel like the old stuff, they have improved the films alot and look and last a long time on chrome and paint. can remove like a sticker when ready with no resedo left behind. Sorry for the display car
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  18. Gerrys

Gerrys

wipe it down with gear lube and let the dust cover it up. Should keep the rust off.:)

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You could always wipe it with wd-40 or maybe Amour all. Good thing you don't live in California or you could get arrested for using WD-40.

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The 261 plugged itself up and no longer leaks oil, hahaha! Still burns a bit though. And I keep telling you...you don't have a sbc, you have a Chevy V8. :D Big difference. I made a small score at the junkyard last weekend, I'll show you tomorrow.

Thanks again fellers for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

21. skullhat

skullhat

i agree with chopolds and the others who say its not the way to go.

i've had varying degrees of success with clearing over bare metals in the decades ive been in the paint business.
    whenever you clear metal, the shine and brilliance suffers a bit.
    as said many times, the chrome is there to protect the polished metal(nickle), and the clear is not gonna be near as durable.

for the home guy, a coat of bull dog will keep it stuck to the surface o.k. nas yes, plenty of powder shops can make clear stick, but thats best on polished surfaces such as aluminum.
    now idf you could just chrome over clear, lol

skull

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That clear film looks really good when you apply it, but even if it doesn't yellow, It does not stay nice and clean and clear like that. When it gets dirty it is hard to clean, it has a soft surface and shows rub marks and scuffs really easy.

It gets scuffed looking from trying to keep it clean and there is no way to restore the clean smooth surface.

It looks like a layer of scuffed clearcoat over the paint and looks shitty.

Only way to fix it is to remove the film ,polish the paint and put new film on.

Will look good. For a little while.
    I speak from personal experience on this.

23. i seen some spray thats supposed to help out with that but its for wheels.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Paint the chrome flat black.

25. spinansmoke

spinansmoke

NC my ass, you look like an old cropduster i flew for back in 05, red dog ring any bells?

26. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Eastwood sell a product called Sharkhide(google it) I have used this product on every piece of polished aluminum, stainless,chrome as well as my wheels. The Sharkhide web site is very informative.

27. indyjps

indyjps

This is silly if you don't want to clean it don't chrome it or buy it. Just paint it and spray it off once in a while and you'll have patina in no time.