Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grumpy Jenkins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a guy from here in Davenport Rich Thompson and his dad had one of Grumpy's old Nova - the Lil' Stinker

2. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

That's a little under $17K in today's dollars ... still not a bad deal. What was the price the last time it sold?

3. My buddy just finished a tribute to Jenkin's 10(X) car

[​IMG]

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Mike told me about the day he came home from school and Dave took him out for a driving lesson. Dave had spent the day installing a shifter in Mike's car and showed him how it was done.

5. Yeah he told me that before too. How cool would it be to have Dave Strickler teach you how to drive a four speed!! Now Mike is turning his '67 Camaro into the next "Old Reliable". Dave bought the car for Mike when he was in high school so it will be truely a Dave Strickler purchased Old Reliable. It is going to be a very nice car also. I think his dad would be proud!!

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I remember a magazine interview, when asked how he decided what to eliminate to lighten up a car he said "Simple, I throw it up in the air and if it comes down it's too heavy"

8. ssimpala

ssimpala

I just read all 282 posts and it sure brought back some good memories! I tried racing with guys back when I was just a big kid. I had a little '66 Chevy 11 that we tried to prep up like Don Hardy was doing. I only had a couple of sponsors, one of whom was Marvin Phillips from Phillips' Automotive. He started out doing drag cars and later moved on to circle track...and gained a little fame...I never did! I raced all over from '66 until '68 when I was drafted into the Army, sent to Vietnam, and promptly blown up. That ended any hopes I had for a drag racing career....but still "play" at the local strip with the kids. Those were really good times! If any of you guys happen to come accross a picture of my old car I would appreciate seeing it. It was a light gold '66 Chevy 11 with a beige top. Had my name Bill Fiveash on the side along with Phillip's Automotive and Mustang Chevrolet, the number 5, and all the usual small advertisers. Thank's a lot, Bill.

9. dragracer01

dragracer01

Hello.Jenkins was known for painting the engines of his cars, and others he tuned, black for heat dissipation.Does anyone know when he started this?In particular,was the engine in the Old Reliable 62 Bel Air painted black?

10. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I think it was Bob Glidden that said that.

11. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I recall the 1966 Chevy II A/S car had a black block and white engine compartment.

It was Glidden,,,,

12. biscaynes

biscaynes

OR 2 at york '09, orange...
    [​IMG]
    and OR 4, black....
    [​IMG]

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

14. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Pure art

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Not to take anything away from Jenkins, I have one of his books because I believe as he did- "Da Grump was always fun to watch. He also said once, and I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact quote, that an engine doesn't know what name is on the valve covers; it only knows how well it can breathe."- but "kick Hemi ass" is to say the least a bit generous, and probably just misinformed- the weight breaks put in place by NHRA greatly favored the little Chebbie/small car- the Ford Cleveland, Boss 429, and SOHC engined cars, as well as the Hammys, carried substantially more weight per cubic inch than the Vega/sbc combo- to quote from NHRA's own website:
    "Formal factory backing and the sheer number of entries swung the pendulum to Chrysler's favor, and Jenkins was winless through the balance of 1970 and all of 1971. Recognizing that the vast number of fans drove Chevrolets, NHRA reconfigured the rules to allow cars with small-block wedge engines to run at a lighter weight break. An untested short-wheelbase Vega that Jenkins built for the 1972 season was held to a subpar 9.90 to qualify a disappointing 17th for the 32-car field at the season-opening Winternationals. Last-minute suspension changes enabled Jenkins to improve to low 9.6s on race day, and he defeated five Chrysler Hemi entries for his most memorable victory. "- so as they say, the fix was in ;)

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

ya,ok

posted on another thread...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

By the mid 1970's, weight breaks had swung in favor of Ford's Cleveland and you had the likes of Glidden, Gapp & Roush, Dyno Don dominating. For Jenkins, this made winning the NHRA Championship in 1976 all the sweeter. Chrysler, well thats a whole different story but its a given, if they weren't winning all the time, they weren't happy. In saying that, while writing the book "Grumpys Toys", Bill told me that in hindsight, he felt that going to weight breaks in 1972 should never have happened and that it took until 1982 before Pro Stock got back on track.

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I don't believe the weight breaks ever "swung in favor of Ford's Cleveland", you'd have to show me that one in print, lbs./ci., in the same type car. They did go to different cars with longer wheelbases that had a "better" factor such as the four-door Maverick "Taxi' car, so apples to oranges- if they ran a comparable car, ie Pinto vs Vega, they had to haul a substantial weight penalty, not so much with the bigger car, but still far from an equivalent setup. The Cleveland Ford setup was just capable of producing more power because of the better heads, NHRA, NASCAR, whatever

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

20. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I had the privilege of lining up at Norwalk against Grumpy. My car was a 1969 Camaro, It ran 8:10 at 168 best time... I later recieved a encased model of his 1968 Nova SS 396 called Grumpys Toy V, signed by the legend himself.

21. 65deluxe

65deluxe

For sure the Cleveland set up was far superior and when you dropped one of these into a Pinto, that did run at the same weight (I stand corrected)as the Vega, the Chevy didnt stand a chance.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Do you have any color pictures of the engine compartment of the '66 Chevy II ?

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

couple from cayuga ont....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

26. biscaynes

biscaynes

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got that one somewhere in the shed if the mice didn't eat it. A lot more how to than what to buy.

29. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sad day Oswego Dragstrip @1975?

Attached Files:

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The crash picture in post 304, reminds me, in 1975 here in Portland, Grumpy was "match racing" Dick Landy, there was some oil, from a previous T/F race between Jerry Ruth and Shirley Muldowney in Dick's lane. Dick crashed badly and law suits were to follow. Now "The Grump" and "Dandy Dick", two legends are gone, RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.